Innovative Marine Aquariums

How many hermit crabs

fourtanks

This site recommends 1 crab for every 3-5 gallons.

Drs. Foster and Smith's site recommends almost almost 1 crab for every gallon.

How many crabs do you use?

I use one crab per two gallons. After they die off I dont replace them, just my snails. Crabs will become a problem if you have small frags in the tank. HTH ;)

I two have heard at least 1 for every 2 gallons. I will tell you a hint though... when looking at the crabs the blue ones are super aggressive. You can go to your local craft store and buy shells there so that they don't get too agressive. I waited and my blue crab was literally repeatedly pounding his shell ontop of one of my scarlet crabs who was twice his size. Today I was cracking up because when I returned home from work the scarlet was in the blue crabs old small shell and the blue crab was in the scarlets old large shell. Scarlets are much bigger than the blues. It was really funny! But sad a the same time! :lol:

1 for every 4 gallon is more than enough. But then, you can have 20 scarlet hermit and they would sit all day and do nothing. A couple of electric blue leg hermit is sufficient for my 20g.

But then, I don't use hermit anymore. Just turbos and astreas snail for clean up crew.

1 for every 4 gallon is more than enough. But then, you can have 20 scarlet hermit and they would sit all day and do nothing. A couple of electric blue leg hermit is sufficient for my 20g.

But then, I don't use hermit anymore. Just turbos and astreas snail for clean up crew.

I love your little ducky Duncan. How cute is that!

Ive got 4 mexican red legged hermits and I like them. They stay a lot smaller and have been peaceful towards eachother and are hilarious to watch. They really dont clean much though, I give all my cleaning duties to my 8 turbo and 6 nassarius snails.

I've got 8 in my 12g. They're just slackers! 30% of the time grazing, 50% chilling, 20% bugging each other. I wanna come back as a hermit crab!! The snails on the other hand work like 95% of the time I see them.

Archived