inTank Media Baskets

A Marines marine biocube

Darklyte24

put it on a cabinet drawer thingy.. added salt mixed water.. then sand..

now letting it settle.

setup items

Biocube 14

Oceanic seasalt

natures ocean reef sand 20 lb bag , i put in about 14 lbs in.

MODS vent for fans, 2 sunon fans with higher CFM

UPGRADES maxijet 900 pump

will put LR in chamber 2 later

corals later as well.

post-26756-1174957868_thumb.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what do you plan on having for fish?

2 clowns for sure.. maybe one of those umm.. what the heck are they called again.. small blue and yellow on bottom. a shrimp and a snail or two..

would a starfish be ok?..

Nice tank, and nice TV.

I just started a BC as well. Its coming along great so far. Check it out here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=115282&hl=

Depending on the species of starfish you should be ok. I'd say get a sand sifting star because they do a great job although they don't look as nicely as the other species.

thanks, got the tv on a great deal from amazon at the time, it was 1500 at bestbuy, paid 1080 on amazon.. they are now like 999$

How long does it take for sand and salt to settle?

bubbles3660

I would nix the sand sifting star especially in a new/small tank. They are sometimes sold as detritus eaters - but that's not really true and any LFS employee that tells you this is uninformed. Mine has lasted a few months in my BC14 but it's definitely deteriorating.

I would nix the sand sifting star especially in a new/small tank. They are sometimes sold as detritus eaters - but that's not really true and any LFS employee that tells you this is uninformed. Mine has lasted a few months in my BC14 but it's definitely deteriorating.

isee, how soon should i put liverock in?

bubbles3660
isee, how soon should i put liverock in?

As long as you don't have any livestock then right away. The LR die-off will cycle the tank.

--bubbles

As long as you don't have any livestock then right away. The LR die-off will cycle the tank.

--bubbles

LR is in the tank, I bought about 12.5 lbs stuck a small piece inside chamber 2.

do i need to get rid of the bubbles?.. and whats the best way to if so, magnet?

I had the guy choose the pieces for me.. gave me 1 melon size and bunch of smaller pieces.didnt spend more than 5 mins setting it up what do you guys and girls think?

post-26756-1174947797_thumb.jpg

post-26756-1174947826_thumb.jpg

make sure the LR is not to close to the glass... mine is in a few parts and it makes it hard to clean... i cant really tell but it looks like you could get a bit more LR in there to make the stack higher but it looks good... your off to a fine start

EDIT: great sig by the way

make sure the LR is not to close to the glass... mine is in a few parts and it makes it hard to clean... i cant really tell but it looks like you could get a bit more LR in there to make the stack higher but it looks good... your off to a fine start

EDIT: great sig by the way

moved the rock around, I wanted a tad less so the fish have a bit more room to swim. Should I have the pump on now? and no lights right? dont want algae growth.

more pics

Added last pic without bubbles UPS came and i got my heater, thermometer magnet cleaner etc

lastly what is this green and reddish stuff?

post-26756-1174956805_thumb.jpg

post-26756-1174957356_thumb.jpg

Brian Crook

In response to your earlier question, starfish are okay too. I have a 29 gallon tank with a sand-sifting star and a very creepy serpent starfish that only comes out at night :-o

they are two of my favourite inverts in the tank! you'll just have to make sure they are small enough for your tank if you decide to get some stars.

btw, your tank looks great so far.

In response to your earlier question, starfish are okay too. I have a 29 gallon tank with a sand-sifting star and a very creepy serpent starfish that only comes out at night :-o

they are two of my favourite inverts in the tank! you'll just have to make sure they are small enough for your tank if you decide to get some stars.

btw, your tank looks great so far.

thanks! im a total noob but have been asking many questions from people from this fourm and LFS. very helpful. do you think in a day or so it will clear up like glass? also should i keep the pump running? I also put the heater in and set it to 79*F

apologeticlies

just brush off the bubbles on the glass... magnet, hand, whatever. it ought to work either way. Youre off to a good start! keep it up!

Brian Crook
thanks! im a total noob but have been asking many questions from people from this fourm and LFS. very helpful. do you think in a day or so it will clear up like glass? also should i keep the pump running? I also put the heater in and set it to 79*F

Yeah your tank will definitely clear up in a few days. All the micobubbles should dissipate off the rocks and back wall as well. I try and keep my tank at 79 degrees but it always seems to creep up to about 80 or 81. 79 is ideal.

Good luck!

I forgot to mention, I got ya beat in the video card department lol.

X1950XTX FTW lol!

not so fast!! hahaha I work at intel, were currently testing unreleased X600's that beast requires a 1k watt PSU, is prob 4x louder than your/my card. has 1 GB ram and is about 12 inches long. haha

back to the tank, I put the heater in chamber 1 and the thermo sensor is on the glass on the left. is this ok?

my tank is pretty clear now, there is still some dust/particles floating around. waiting a few days before i buy any snails or shrimp. im heading to yosemite this weekend so i wont get any till monday or so.

Brian Crook

How long has your tank been up and running? I waited about 3 weeks before I added any livestock into my own tank, after doing all the water tests it took about that long for the tank to cycle. It varies with everyones tanks, but the initial cycling process usually lasts a couple weeks or more. It is not recommended to be putting livestock into the aquarium during that time as high levels of ammonia or nitrites is very harmful to them.

How long has your tank been up and running? I waited about 3 weeks before I added any livestock into my own tank, after doing all the water tests it took about that long for the tank to cycle. It varies with everyones tanks, but the initial cycling process usually lasts a couple weeks or more. It is not recommended to be putting livestock into the aquarium during that time as high levels of ammonia or nitrites is very harmful to them.

it has been cycling for 2 days. I know to wait a while. I will test the water in a week because im heading to Yosemite this weekend.

Oceanic 30g

Do you have less liverock in this tank now. It looks like less than the other pictures. I hjave about 10 pound in my biocube 14 because the corals are often attached the liverock. Also, try to hide the thermometer probe a bit. I think you are going to be on the two week end for cycle time. It depends on the rock you have and the amount of dieoff.

You are off to a good start.

same amount of LR, i put a small piece in the back. rearranged it which prob made it look like less.

might get some more for the back chamber.

Archived