Top Shelf Aquatics

How To Identify Sex - Hermit Crabs

SeaMountain

SeaMountain

Okay. I think I've figured this out. I have 4 Red Legs and 8 Blue Leg Hermits in my 10g. I once had 5 RL's but one was capped during a Shell-Jacking last week.

While out of town this weekend, I happened across 'Trishes Fishes' in Rapid City. I picked up 6 extra shells to drop into the tank to thwart any further nano-violence.

No sooner did the shells hit the sand bed, two hermies fired down off of the LR and started jumping in and out of shells. Taking time to turn around for each other. Obviously asking how their 'tails' looked in each prospective shell. Then they showcased back and forth in front of the glass no doubt admiring how trim they now looked in their new casings. These no doubt were females.

The males were obvious to discern as well. They were the ones kicked back on their shells with legs crossed on a clump of fluffy algae. The eyes affixed atop their tannish stalks were focused on the big screen TV across the room, showing the St. Louis Blues and Vancouver in a Game 6 hockey showdown. Playoffs you know!

What clinched it was when the doorbell rang and it was the Domino's Pizza Guy with a Pepperoni and Mantis Shrimp 50/50 pie. Yes I tipped him... Now I know where my Visa card ended up when I heard that 'plop' when doing the last water change.

Let me tell you... It was annoying eating that pizza with all those crabs glaring at me last night. I'm half afraid to go home after work tonight!

By the way... If you order from Domino's... Order extra Mantis Shrimp. They skimp like Hell!!! B)

Archived