Pod Your Reef

First Time Nano-er

82SC

well here I am a newbie nano and newbie saltwater aquarium-ist...

Well with my friend I set up this tank...it is a 6 gallon eclipse fitted with 2 13W AH lights

It is plumbed to a 10 gallon sump in the closet with calupera algae and a modest cleaning crew

I just ordered the 9 for 99 kit from indo-pacific to kick start the sand and to keep the nitrate and nitrite levels down

I have a maroon clown

a harlequin shrimp

a frogfish angler that has since turned white to match my substrate

a unidentified yellow coral...I think it is a lettuce

and a branching red sponge

The long tnetacle anenome killed a singapore anenome and the orange (colt) coral before dying...

I will let the tank stabalize and get the nitrate and nitrite levels down before adding more stuff...

my future plans is a small anenmoe for the clown and I will have transient blue linkas since the harlequin will be eating those up...

I may add tiny coral frags...but I am already over the limit of my system...but I guess greed beats rational...

I may add another light as well

enjoy

82SC-angler.jpg

82SC-tank.jpg

(Edited by 82SC at 11:23 pm on Feb. 13, 2002)

here are some pics of the setup...

2 13W lights (blue and white) with a reflector...

the bulkheads the drain tube and the inlet

the inlet is connected to a powerhead in the sump and a spray bar in the tank

the sump helps keep my tank clean and my water stable

82SC-lights.jpg

82SC-bulkheads.jpg

82SC-Sump.jpg

What do you feed your harlequin shrimp? Just curious, I have heard they will only eat one thing, but i am curious what you use. I would love to have one. Thanks,

Gaber

I fed it a chocolate chip star fish...it flips it over and eats it slowly for about a week / week and a half...

I heard any linka are good too...I plan to fed it blue linkas...the local shop told me I can have damaged ones for pretty cheap...and I guess ti will add color...until my harlequin gets to it...

The scary thing is taht there is nothing left of the starfish...no pieces nothing...it is gone...I can't imagine he literally ATE all of it since it is about 10 times it's size...but there are no remains...

The harelquin did molt immediately afteer eating the star...I just don't understand where all the reamins are...

Archived