SaltCritters.com

Air Bubbles

Signmom99

I have an AquaClear 201 power head blowing into the tank (12g) for circulation but there are sooooo many air bubbles it's dificult to see the top end of the tank at all.  I read in a book that comes from algae growth, of which I seem to be having brown algae blooming.  Are the air bubbles normal, is this from algae growth, or something else?

by any chance do you have the venturi line on the powerhead still ? Take that part off if it is because even though the valve is closed it sitll may be sucking in air.

I feel soooo dumb asking questions, but what is a 'venturi' line?

If you mean the airline tube that comes off the top of the head and goes to the outside of the tank and has a little plastic piece that adjust how much air it can suck in, then yes I have that going.  Do I not need to bring in outside air for oxygenation?  What is a power head supposed to do?

As long as you have some sort of "surface agitation" you should be ok.  Efficient surface agitation can be accomplished by positioning the PH (powerhead) flow closer to the surface.  The idea is to break the surface tension of the water.  I would remove the "venturi line" as NanoReefer53 suggests.  And yes, you guessed it, it's the short tube with the head that sticks out.  As for your algae bloom...it is more than likely the water you use in the tank.  Try not to use treated tap water.  Find a good source of RO water.

I would suggest removing the venturi line also. There really is no need for it. It looks nice and all, but I think it causes alot of problems, especially in reef tanks. the bubbles get trapped in and under corals, and in my experience tend to do alot of damage to the coral tissue. This is not to say that Venturi lines don't have their place. I have used them in ponds (where high temps in the summer decrease oxygenization of the H2O), in fresh water tanks and in fish only tanks. I have just seen bad things happen in reef tanks with them...personal experience from my newbie days! Good Luck!

No Venturi Valve in your nano! You could probably place the powerhead in anyplace in your nano and still get enough surface aggitation. Just yank it off of the powerhead. Gl,

gaber

Archived