Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lighting Requirements for Clams

ezcompany

I have some really encouraging pictures to show . Mind you I am using 4$ ebay LED bulbs. not expensive cree bulbs.

Super encouraging is the growth of my crocea clam. I brought this home Valentines day 2011 (this is one month growth.

so feb 14th-march 20th growth

IMG_9566.jpg

I love tracking the growth on these. A few members of a NH club that i run have been switching to these led and noticing awesome growth as well.

my tank (55g) has a total of 66w of led. so chances are the section this clam lives in only has about 10w visible to it.. and its halfway down in the tank... (about 14")

$5-7 per bulb..

just started a discussion on it here :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=267432

I'm a bit confused...ur clam's stretching out? That means there is not enough light...... It should be open not stretching. You look at the ridges for growth.

the bracket is showing new ridge growth i'll take a new picture today.

there are probably 12-13 new ridges since this picture was taken.. if not more :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I have a ten LED dig build over my ten gallon. The kit is from aquastyles and puts out 3w per led.

could I keep clams with this lighting?

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. I'll be putting the same light over a 10g.

• 10 months later...
SantaMonica

By circumstance (and not planning), I have learned that 2 Ecoxotic Marine 48" strips on a reef pool will keep a 4" deresa alive.

• 1 month later...

clamgrowth14mos.jpg

still super colorful from the top, great marble of blue and gold.

I will be a year on valentines day this year

That looks the mantle stretching for light. It must be feeding great if it's growing.

• 2 weeks later...

what kind of T5 fixture/ reflectors / setup do you have? if i had to choose between yes and no it would lean towards yes.

It's a discontinued Current USA, I think their original Nova Extreme Pro. Single reflector, but eight bulbs. It'll be going on a standard 90g.

Nothing is put together yet...still in acquisition mode. Fixture is 48" x 12".

(ack! sorry for thread-jack!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cool read! I just got a small maxima clam close to 3 inches! I placed it on a frag disk on the sand and has already attached itself to it.

I have a ecoray 60d led fixture on my 34 Solana that is 20x20x20 the ecoray company says that led's have high par readings.

The clam looks like it opens up a bit more when both blue and white led's are on and she closes a bit when only the blues are on. Not sure if clams do this to get more light when my fixture is at it's highest output.? I hope that the whole small clam mortality thing doesn't effect me.

ezcompany thank you for any input you may have

• 2 years later...
RayWhisperer

I came here looking for long term experiences with led lighting over clams. Since it's become increasingly difficult to find quality T-5 LED combos in the size I am looking for. I built my own the last time around and don't want to go that route again....

I leave disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

I came here looking for long term experiences with led lighting over clams. Since it's become increasingly difficult to find quality T-5 LED combos in the size I am looking for. I built my own the last time around and don't want to go that route again....

I leave disappointed.

I have had my clam and others for years with just LED power. Should see no issues with this.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...