Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting Requirements for Clams

ezcompany

Its a 14g oceanic biocube. It has a 24watt 10k bulb and a 24watt blue actinic. I have a maxima in my 55 under MH lights, and i feed that one food (Ultramin). I would feed it to a derasa if necessary. Tank haas been set up for a little over 5 months. Tankmates are 1 skunk shrimp, 1 peppermint shrmp, one yashia goby, nass snails, mex turbo, red legs, and 14 various corals.

Edited by iNano
:D Thats cool, ive looked at loads of baby ones with gorgeous colours but cause they are soooo expensive i didnt want to chance it, might just wait till my 30g is set up and get 1.
Yes you could put a Derasa in your 14 just understand that it will grow fast and need to be moved and that it likes a sand bed if I remember right.

I have a 55 I could move it too when I gets big. Also, could I keep him on the sand at the bottom of my stock biocube 14?

I Ate A Cake

Any clam I could keep in a 10G with 96W t5 fixture? I would like to know the temporary and the possible permanent species of clams (I doubt permanent).

just look at the post count.

You people have to remember clams are not just photosynthetic they need Calcium too. You will need to dose in such a small system.

I have a 55 I could move it too when I gets big. Also, could I keep him on the sand at the bottom of my stock biocube 14?

Yes if the light is strong enough. Just keep up with your light bulb changes.

Any clam I could keep in a 10G with 96W t5 fixture? I would like to know the temporary and the possible permanent species of clams (I doubt permanent).

A Crocea can be done in that tank carefully and permanently. It will get up to about 6". Just keep on the calcium.

UH

I hate to sound like a douche but does anyone actually read this thread before they post in it?

HAHAHAHA! I love it. Post of the month please modorators.

BTW... you always sound like a douche! :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
IndicaCorialis
I disagree coral addict. Clams are able to create all their energy needs right from the beginning. The whole saying that a clam under 3 inches needs to be fed is a myth. within a month of the larval stage their mantles are fully developed and full of zoox, and can sustain them with intense lighting. heres a study where larval clams were kept in micro filtered water and not allowed to receive any particulate and they did just fine on light alone.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=00...B2-N&size=LARGE

I personally do not think stock pc lighting will be enough for a crocea, but there are always exceptions to the rule. it is still best to provide them with light you are sure they will thrive in, instead of skimping by and wishing for the best. hope that helps

I have two croceas in a 14 gal under 80w of PC and they have been doing great. They are always fully open even under the LED moonlights. I keep them near the top of the tank in a LR shelf I made. One is about 2 inches and the other is a little over an inch. I have had them for about six months and their color is better than when I got them at the LFS. They were under T5s there. I think that anyone that says it won't work is simply going off of something they've been told or read but hasn't really tried it.

post-36280-1209437346_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

i heard if they open too much that means its not getting enough light. that make sense because they would have to open up wider to get more light. also i thought it was recommended to get intense/dense light for clams?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Is 500w of MH & 156w of T5 too much light for a Crocea in a 46g?
Skydive .. I'm pretty sure I read back in the post that artificial light does not outshine the sun, if you are introducing a Crocea and you know it's current lighting conditions, shelter it with some eggcrate and a few layers of screen. Remove a layer of screen each day (or maybe every second) until you're done.

I've been watching some clams that arrived stuck in some LR at the LFS, I haven't got any myself at the moment. They'll be in my 137G when I finish working out the lighting.

DISCLAIMER: <Insert legal sounding garbage here >

• 1 month later...
Is 500w of MH & 156w of T5 too much light for a Crocea in a 46g?

I have a friend who put a 400W MH over his 20g specifically so he could put clams in it, so NO, it's not too much light. Just acclimate them as mentioned above.

What's strange is that he replaced a 250W MH with the 400W, which made no sense whatsoever to me. The 250 dumped more than enough light over that 20 to grow pretty much anything I've ever read about. I tried to buy his 250 but he kept it, tossed it up in a closet (and probably still is 2 years later :angry: ).

• 5 weeks later...
reefman225gal
I have a friend who put a 400W MH over his 20g specifically so he could put clams in it, so NO, it's not too much light. Just acclimate them as mentioned above.

What's strange is that he replaced a 250W MH with the 400W, which made no sense whatsoever to me. The 250 dumped more than enough light over that 20 to grow pretty much anything I've ever read about. I tried to buy his 250 but he kept it, tossed it up in a closet (and probably still is 2 years later :angry: ).

If anything ever happens to that 400w ,well....he goes into closet grabs the 250w problem solved. :P I keep alot of my old pumps and lights just for back ups.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 28 gallon with a 96 watt t5ho light. What kind of clam would you suggest? And Where should you place it in the tank?(On sand, on rock, depth in the tank.) Thanks. Great thread.

I have a 28 gallon with a 96 watt t5ho light. What kind of clam would you suggest? And Where should you place it in the tank?(On sand, on rock, depth in the tank.) Thanks. Great thread.

Depends. With that light you can keep all of the various clams. However I would limit myself to Crocea or Maxima due to size constraints. Derasa et al. get up to 18" in size. It takes a while but they can get that big. Keep it in the upper 1/2 of the tank and on the rocks with room to grow.

would my crocea be ok in a 40 breeder under 150mh + 64w Actinics? how deep could i place it and be safe?I know would have to be in center of tank as the sides will be little darker and not as much light.Im trying to decide if should go with a 40 breeder or a 30 breeder.......There both same price around here and wondering if the 4 extra inches of depth will be ok with my lighting.

• 1 month later...

Almost seven pages and no one's brought up HO LED's yet? According to what I've the PAR readings on a Biocube 14 with 11 Cree XR-E's is way more than enough for clams... and you don't have to change bulbs every 6 months.