Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cinnamon clownfish will it take to an anemone?

Bettonskyblue

Bettonskyblue

I made an uneducated decison to buy a pair of cinnamon clowns over perculas, my dealer said there was no difference. will they take to an anemone? I bought a flower anemone because there were cinnamon clowns playing in one at the store, but mine havent even come close to it in two months. Should i trade in my clowns for a different kind? If so what kind? :

Do you have another name, or species name, for this flower anemone? The only flower anemones I know of are either clown-eaters or too small for a clown to swim in.

Cinnamon clowns will host in bubble-tip anemones. So you could try going that route, if you're lighting is strong enough. As for different clowns for your current anemone, beats me, since I'm not really sure what kind of anemone it is. If you don't have another name for it, can you describe its color (both base and tentacles) and shape?

Bettonskyblue

i never got the species name when i bought it, and i cant find any like it on the internet i will go do somemore research. its completely white, with a flat "face" and small 3/4 inch tenticles around the edge of the "face". Hope it helps you

Not off the top of my head, but I'll look around, too.

As for what your dealer said abotu the cins being the same as the percs... well, they do get 2-3" bigger. Not exactly nano-friendly, and when grown, need a tank at least 30g, probably.

Bettonskyblue

I have had my anemone for over three months now and i am not worried at all because he has shown no signs of aggression at all he is interesting to look at but he dosent do much of anything really. I would think that my curlique is more aggressive than the rock anemone.

From other threads, it's pretty obvious that the Flower Anemones that TampaBay is sending out are not any of the species I'd seen previously called Flower Anemones. Really, there are very few Atlantic species used in the aquarium trade, so when a new one pops up, it's often unheard of among other reefers.

Unfortunately, I'd say the only source for information on these anems right now is the dealer, and that often needs to be taken with a grain of salt. But I wouldn't be concerned about my "either clown-killer or too small" comment, because this is a critter I'd never seen before.

• 17 years later...

I have a flower anenome and my Cinnamon Clown tried to host it. The clown will kill the flower anenome. It's too small to host the clown. I got a big bubble tip anenome and now my clown is all over it. He dives into that bubble tip all the time and has left the flower anenome alone. I feed the bubble tip once a week with a piece of shrimp. Just put it in close to his mouth and he grabs and "sucks"it in. All I do is monitor feeding for awhile because my cleaner shrimp will steal his food and run away. My clown sleeps in his anenome and spends almost all of his time inside it. So far no problems. He took to it two days after I got it and they've been good ever since. My clown will try to feed the anenome as well but the anenome doesn't take flake food and spits it out. I will try feeding brine shrimp and see if clown feeds the anenome, otherwise I'll just continue shrimp pieces. You can use store bought shrimp and just cut a 1/4 inch piece of and offer it to the anenome.