inTank Media Baskets

In sump fuges......

SeeDemTails

SeeDemTails

I am setting up a SPS system and want a mandarin in the tank. I have never kept one as I wouldnt think of it unless I felt confident I could provide it with nutritional food, not just some brine cause it will eat it. If I can get one that eats mysis all the better, but no fuge, no madarin!

I set aside about 3 gallons of space in my sump for the fuge, but it is under the tank. How does this effect how well the pods are tranfered back into the tank?

Do they make it through a return pump ok?

your mandarin should be fine you will have them in the sump and in the tank the more established your tank the more pods you'll have i would set the fuge up and let it sit for a while so the pods have time to multiply then add the mandarin....by the way you never told us how big your tank is....

distantfire

Your going to loose pods because they get ground up by the impelar on your return pump. It's better to have your fuge above the tank with a overflow box. If it's possible for you to put your fuge there. I've made several 2.5gal fuges in fact I have one with 2 overflow boxes on it. You can see how I put mine together. The pictures are in the members gallery under my name.

SeeDemTails

It is a 15H SPS tank. It has like 1000gph of total flow with a scwd in the main and about 400 gph through the sump. so I hope this wont blast the mandarin out lol.

The sump is 10 gallons with like 3 or 4 gallons of fuge space. I mainly started this as a place to put culerpa and mangroves to export stuff, but I have always wanted a mandarin and I think my experience level is high enough that I would be able to give one a good home.

I also have no space behind the tank for a hob fuge. The tank has no visible hardware, only bulkheads, so a hob filter intake wouldnt be cool anyway.

distantfire

Ok now I have a better idea of how you got your tank's setup. The 400gph thru your 10gal. sump/fuge is still slow enough to grow cheato. I didn't think your display tank was already setup. Because in your first post you said that you where seting up a SPS system. LOL

Keep us updated on how mandarin is doing.

SeeDemTails

It isnt up and running yet, however everything has been wet tested.

I plan to have it up and running in a couple weeks.

If I do pull the trigger on a madarin, I have one in mind that has been in a display at the LFS for 3 months and is eating mysis. Already nice and fat.

You will be fine with the in sump fuge....Pods always go through my retun pump and make it into the display tank....I know because my 4 line wrasse is the fatest fish I have ever seen

I had a 120 gal dominated sps tank with a 60 gal fuge, a 1200 gal per hr flow & my tank was full of pods & bristle worms. had a 6 line wrasse, mandarin, yellow tang & 5 chromis all had beer guts no problem getting through the impeller. with a gravity fed system above your you would get more. hey distantfire one question because I like the idea of gravity fed, what if pump stops or power goes out will all the water from the fuge flow into tank? this could be good to know seedem tails if you start a gravity fed system.

danny

my mandarin got sucked up by my powerheads. they are wussy swimmers
distantfire

desi04 When the pump stops or the power goes out. All the water in the fuge doesn't drain down into the display tank. Because the 90deg. elbow on the durso in the external overflow box prevents that from happening.

do you have any pics.

danny

sorry if I am hijacking this tread but this will help a lot of people who were thinking of starting a gravity fed system.

make sure you go skimmer/fuge/return or youll skim out some nutrients and pods ;[ if you are even using a skimmer, if not ignore ;]

distantfire

Sure desi04 here in the members gallery under my name. The first picture is a 2.5 fuge that is gravity feeding a 10gal. I built it in a hurry but it works great.

Archived