Cultivated Reef

My First Nano Reef Setup

paulasue

Hey guys,

I am setting up my first nano-reef soon and here is what I have so far:

10 Aquarium.

JBJ lighting system 24w*2 1 10000k daylight 1 actinic

I have a couple questions:

When I get the tank set up, how long should each light be on durning the day?

Also,

The manager at my LFS recommended against getting a power head right away and recommended using an over the back filter. Is that wise?

Thanks for you help,

Paula Sue

I am in no position to offer you advice as I am still too new to this also (1 month old tank), HOWEVER.....

Unless you have a one in a million LFS, let their advice go in one ear and out the other.  Keep coming to this message board and asking questions.  The advice here is worth a million.  

Good luck with your nano, be patient (hard part), and have fun with it.

NanoReefer53

The lighting is kind of low. I think that fixture was made for 5 gallons. You should upgrade to something like a 32w CSL or 36w. Even better would be a 2-36w

Christopher Marks

It looks like it has lots of nice coraline algae on it Paula.  Try getting a picture with the tank lights on, the room lights off, the windows closed, and no flash.  That should let the rocks great color really show.

I got my tank up and running last night. But, my water is still real cloudy. I think its because the powerhead fell off the side of the tank last night and was pointing straight down at the aragonite. I left the power head off for the day, to see if that would help the water to settle.

Here is what I am running:

20lb live rock

little less than 15lb aragonite

rio 400 power head

small whisper filter with no media

no critters yet

Is there anything that would help me to secure that power head to the side of the tank better? Also, Do you think the powerhead mishap last night is the cause of all my cloudyness?

Thanks for all your help!

Archived