Cultivated Reef

12G Nano: The Obsession Begins

fraggle rockette

Pics are nice, I'm setting up a MiniBow 2.5g myself that I'll use as a quantine tank... I wanted it as a pico for my office at work, but I don't think I'd be allowed to have one there unfortunately. :(

For the chiller, I'd just use maybe a "1/2 or so drill bit (maybe the very next size up from that) to put the intake and return tubing through, that should work best I'd think and what I'd do at least. Good luck! :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fraggle rockette
u can have as small a prop tank as u want but it will fill up quickly :) also i like ur sig the bottom one.i take it u heard that from some friends?

yeah... they just don't understand... :happy:

Pics are nice, I'm setting up a MiniBow 2.5g myself that I'll use as a quantine tank... I wanted it as a pico for my office at work, but I don't think I'd be allowed to have one there unfortunately. :(

For the chiller, I'd just use maybe a "1/2 or so drill bit (maybe the very next size up from that) to put the intake and return tubing through, that should work best I'd think and what I'd do at least. Good luck! :)

thanks! that's what i figured- i got a new 1/2" bit today with a flat edge on the hex so that it won't twist the plastic... i hope...

okay- here are new tank pics. the first is my starfish lounging on several corals while the hermits close the other new ones... grr. the second is my coral beauty- i heart her. and finally, the obligitory fts. the outside of the glass has a little bit of streakyness from salt residue on it- what do you guys use to clean that? i'm so fearful of chemicals in my room now- don't want anything gettin into my tank!!! i tried lots of water and paper towels, but there's still some there... thoughts?

post-26563-1173200046_thumb.jpgpost-26563-1173200067_thumb.jpgpost-26563-1173200083_thumb.jpg

nice tank...post pics of all those zoos when they open!

you can use vinegar and water to clean the outside of your tank (mix it in a spray bottle). API also makes wipes that are safe to use on aquariums..they work well for cleaning the glass and getting rid of salt creep.

fraggle rockette
nice tank...post pics of all those zoos when they open!

you can use vinegar and water to clean the outside of your tank (mix it in a spray bottle). API also makes wipes that are safe to use on aquariums..they work well for cleaning the glass and getting rid of salt creep.

thanks cooks!

zoos have been open off and on, but i couldn't find my camera charger until today. i'll take pics of everything soon- right now my tank is in shambles b/c the front wall is covered in soap dishes with LR and all those zoos, as well as a few new mushies from when I got my chiller and that ric I picked up from gerber a week ago. the rest of the tank is de-scaped and covered with tiny pieces of LR for all my frags waiting for a prop tank still- oh, btw, if any of you live in east LA, there's a LFS that has really awesome LR for nanos in Glendale... tho I may have taken all the good 2-4" pieces of coraline covered tonga and figi yesterday! (hey, $3.50 a pound for nice cycled rubble? i couldn't resist!!!) :naughtydance: i can't wait til i start fraggin- you guys are gonna get some awesome stuff on real "plugs"!

i also finally got rid of my coral beauty yesterday :unsure: i was sad until it took me 45 minutes and destroying most of my aquascaping to get the darn fish out- then i hurried to my LFS and traded her for 2 feather dusters- a brown and white stripe and a flourescent pink :D no new fish til after spring break this week!

edit: i'm installing the chiller today, but only enough to get it up and running b/c i'm going camping for three days. i'll also be doing a substrate change hopefully next weekend, and am thinking about putting a new hole in the back wall for my chiller output thus having two currents going in the tank. good/bad idea? thoughts? thanks!!!

The 2 returns should be fine, more cross flow which usually isn't a bad thing. But dumping the chiller return into the back chamber works just as well, that's how I have my chiller running, dumping it into my pump chamber on my Finnex tank. How's your temps doing so far, yesterday was HOT and today will be a scorcher! :(

fraggle rockette
The 2 returns should be fine, more cross flow which usually isn't a bad thing. But dumping the chiller return into the back chamber works just as well, that's how I have my chiller running, dumping it into my pump chamber on my Finnex tank. How's your temps doing so far, yesterday was HOT and today will be a scorcher! :(

they've actually been kindof low, but i live ontop of a hill with pretty good shade during the day- last summer we ran our a/c less than an hour a day for only a week or two! it still was 80+ inside, but we get a good crossbreeze. however i'm just gonna have the chiller dump into the pump chamber initially, then install the return in the back wall when i have more time to mess with it... just making sure that i have it under control before i'm gone for 3 days so the roommate doesn't have to worry :)

Definitely better safe than sorry on the temporary installation with the chiller. Mine is still in "temp" mode the way I have it with the chiller pump in the main display area...

You're definitely lucky to be up on a hill where you get a nice cross breeze. I'm in the scorching San Gabriel Valley where there's little to no cross breeze (we rarely even feel the Santa Ana's) and it's always hot, especially days like today. My apartment is on the 2nd level so it's naturally hotter than it would otherwise be unfortunately... =/

fraggle rockette
Definitely better safe than sorry on the temporary installation with the chiller. Mine is still in "temp" mode the way I have it with the chiller pump in the main display area...

You're definitely lucky to be up on a hill where you get a nice cross breeze. I'm in the scorching San Gabriel Valley where there's little to no cross breeze (we rarely even feel the Santa Ana's) and it's always hot, especially days like today. My apartment is on the 2nd level so it's naturally hotter than it would otherwise be unfortunately... =/

that sucks... i was down there at vivid aquariums the other day and it was hot as hell... glad to live on the east side :D

got the chiller in finally... but the pump for intake that i bought is LOOUUUDDD!!! any suggestions to quiet the little sucker down a bit?

Which pump did you get for it? I'm using an MJ1200 for mine, and it's working out great. I had my doubts about it originally though.

fraggle rockette

i got a rio hyperflow 4HF... it just buzzes really loud... sucks cause the chiller is so quiet... grrrr...

i got a rio hyperflow 4HF... it just buzzes really loud... sucks cause the chiller is so quiet... grrrr...

I considered a Rio, the 1400 I think it was, but I've heard they can run loud and sometimes run hot as well... I wanted an Eheim external pump, but they are kinda outta my budget right now unfortunately. :(

fraggle rockette
I considered a Rio, the 1400 I think it was, but I've heard they can run loud and sometimes run hot as well... I wanted an Eheim external pump, but they are kinda outta my budget right now unfortunately. :(

yeah... i'm not so pleased with it. i think i might try to putty the edges and add some halved airline to see if that helps quiet the noise- otherwise, it's off to get another pump... agh. how do you like yours phixion? anyone else have smaller quieter pump suggestions that can still push enough water thru?

Oh no!!! Great looking tank, but I'd get rid of that Caulerpa. I had it in my cube and it took over the tank. Flush it down the toilet.

I LOVE the pump I'm using with mine. MJ's are super quiet pumps. The sound of the water in my tank is almost louder than the pump. But it definitely handles '6+ of head length which is a definitely plus!

fraggle rockette
Oh no!!! Great looking tank, but I'd get rid of that Caulerpa. I had it in my cube and it took over the tank. Flush it down the toilet.

thanks nat- i weed at it as it grows, but until there's more in my tank, i let it have a little corner- all my cleanup crew love it at different times of the day :D

I LOVE the pump I'm using with mine. MJ's are super quiet pumps. The sound of the water in my tank is almost louder than the pump. But it definitely handles '6+ of head length which is a definitely plus!

thanks! i'll look into them... are they $$$?

thanks nat- i weed at it as it grows, but until there's more in my tank, i let it have a little corner- all my cleanup crew love it at different times of the day :D

thanks! i'll look into them... are they $$$?

Less than $20 plus shipping from Marinedepot.com ;) I wouldn't get one from an LFS though unless you find one for under $25. Most sell them for $35 though, a total rip off!! They flow at 295gph.

fraggle rockette

Cool... I may have to get a new pump if my retrofit doesnt work... apparently it's supposed to be one of the best/quietest, but b/c it's against the sump frame, it rattles.

UPDATES: corals are doing great! Gerber, I will at some point get some AOGs from you- i am totally in love with them but need to get everything else i've got attached first... lol. i've got two soapdishes full!

got two new zoa frag colonies (pretty big ones) today- one multi-colored i dont know what ball of them and one tonga? branch covered in orange ones for waay too cheap at my lfs :happy:

Substrate change today/tomorrow. wish me luck- may be doing a chiller return retrofit in the back wall for another flow direction, but haven't decided where to put it so maybe not... i dunno.

oh, and i got a dremel!!! :happydance: new powertools=playtime

pictures soon- promise for reals!!!!

take out ur orange linkia starfish, it'll slowly starve to death over the coarse of a couple months. nobody knows what they eat, they dont every readily take foods, and need a HUGE mature tank to thrive and survive.

i speak from experience, i had a 30 gal tall mature tank and it died within 4 months... slowly just disentigrated.

fraggle rockette
take out ur orange linkia starfish, it'll slowly starve to death over the coarse of a couple months. nobody knows what they eat, they dont every readily take foods, and need a HUGE mature tank to thrive and survive.

i speak from experience, i had a 30 gal tall mature tank and it died within 4 months... slowly just disentigrated.

really? he seems to be doing so well... that makes me super sad... everyone else concur? he likes to eat when i feed everyone else... or at least it looks like that's what he's doing... so sad... :unsure:

fraggle rockette

PICTURES!!!

after a long night of multiple heaters, pumps, water buckets, and little sleep, my tank has re-emerged victorious, albeit still a bit cloudy.

first pic: sand and water go in- super cloudy for hours, everyone else in buckets

#2: super makeshift holding tank with heater, airpump, and soap dishes

#3: live rock back in- the cycling continues, levels still reading trace and pH low still so i added some sealab No28 to help adjust that w/o throwing too much off

#4: Ta-Da! 12+ hours later, a little cloudy, but oh so worth it for the pretty sand

#5: orange zoa branch from a lfs yesterday

#6: green diy frag on some tonga w/ frags from gerber

#7: green zoa ball from a lfs a week or two ago

#8: bubble coral from vivid and new zoa ball from lfs yesterday- id?

#9: torch from vivid and a little purple polyp family

#10: candy cane (also from vivid) and bubble again

let me know suggestions or just what you think! :)

post-26563-1174071235_thumb.jpg

post-26563-1174071288_thumb.jpg

post-26563-1174071331_thumb.jpg

post-26563-1174071436_thumb.jpg

post-26563-1174071471_thumb.jpg

post-26563-1174071527_thumb.jpg

post-26563-1174071561_thumb.jpg

post-26563-1174071605_thumb.jpg

post-26563-1174071744_thumb.jpg

post-26563-1174071756_thumb.jpg

Dremels = FUN! :P lol

Looking at your re-scape, I'd recommend geeping the rock from leaning on or touching the glass. I *could* put stress on it, but more importantly it'll make it difficult to clean when algae starts accumlating on it. I learned that one the hard way back with my AP12. other than that, the tank is looking grat so far since the substrate swap. :)

I'm not sure how much the Sea-Lab will buffer your pH, I used it for a few weeks in my current tank though, but only for the purpose of calcium supplimentation for my clam I have. I didn't notice a change in pH though, it was 8.0 when I started the tank and it's been 8.0 ever since... =/ Not to say it won't work, since every tank is different. :)

Archived