Coral Vue Hydros

7 Gallon Bowfront up and Running

AJA

Hey Nitrite, Chris is staying out of this, but not me, I don't care if you ever come back to the site again. That hood is really awesome. But regardless, what kind of nerve do you have to tell someone you think it is ugly after they post. I agree with Chris in saying that most tanks look good because they are unique. However, I would love to see yours because by your arrogance, I am guessing that it looks like sh*t. Do you even have a tank??? Oh well, please don't answer, just fade away into obscurity, please? Brandon, you too if you are listening, MUHAHAHA! :angryfire:

gaber

p.s. I am still going to try to figure out how you did that bowfront with the wood for my new 28 gallon... That hood RAWKS!

Wow!

Nitrite and Brandon should get together some time...or  are they the same person. Their posts have the same arrogant smell to them.

I like the tank!

I've done wood work before and I know how difficult it is to get the bow to work! It doesn't matter how high the canopy is...it's not in your home Nitrite, you don't have to look at it so, if you don't like it....SHUT UP! There's no reason to insult someone else's work. Suggestions or ideas are great but you are just rude. I know how much time I spend on my setups, and if you really do have a tank you know how much time and planning it takes. To slam someone like that is uncalled for. If you don't like it shut your mouth, or give some educated helpful suggestions. Have some class, or leave along with Brandon!

BTW...Did you buy your hood Nitrite or did you buy it? I would bet that you bought it! Don't slam something that you can't do yourself. If you built it lets see it!

(Edited by fish04 at 3:57 pm on Mar. 7, 2002)

Nitrate....

Look at my website you will see I have many corals less than 6" below the waterline and my lights are approx 4" above waterline. you are clueless ....turn white ...really

do some research.  as for the heat issue I believe that was addressed in my post thats really the only problem you would have is heat and if you deal with it then the lighting is never gonna be a problem in a home aquarium. If you dont have good advice leave it to people who have expierience in such things to give advice.  I would really like to see your tank where may I view it?

Toy

Ps. the whole complaint you had was the Height of the hood the lights would certainly be above 2"....DUH

(Edited by Toyfreek at 7:12 pm on Mar. 7, 2002)

nitritetest

"Ps. the whole complaint you had was the Height of the hood the lights would certainly be above 2"....DUH"

Okay toy freak, what does that quote mean??

You obviously aren't able to understand what you read.  I said if you have corals 2 inches from the light, they will die.  

You said you have corals 6 inches below the waterline, and your lights are 4 inches above the waterline...dipstick, that's 10 inches.  The 7 gallon bowfront we're talking about here is only 10 inches deep...-gravel, rocks, and it's well less than that.  If he had halides without raising them, and he had corals right at the surface, he would kill them.  And he doesn't have halides, he has PCs, which means he doesn't have to raise the lights, and doesn't need a stupid looking giant hood.

You might know how to read, but you don't know how to understand what you read.  You're as bad as the guy who knows how to do woodworking, but doesn't have the foggiest idea about how to make something effecient, functional, and attractive looking.

And no, I didn't buy my hood.  I made it.  It's not done yet, I still have to finish it.  I bough some laminate material to size and cut and attatch to the hood as it is now.  I made it out of some 2.5 inch pine planks, a piece of plexiglass, and some screws.  It's totally separated from the water, is open in the top and the back, the lights are suspended about a cm from the hood with a small spacer, and there is lots of air flow around them, the top of the hood isn't even warm, and my water temperature is just fine.  I definitely didn't need an 8 inch high hood and fans to keep it cool.  If I had a digital camera, I'd post a pic.  Maybe I'll draw up the plans somehow and post them.  

I've got 3 types of macro alage,assorted mushrooms & riccordias, leathers, polyps, a sponge, feathe dusters, a pair of true percs, assorted hermits, assorted snails & a peppermint shrimp. It's been running for a year, I was one of the first to jump onto the 7 gallon bowfront bandwagon before there was a bandwagon...I don't skim, have 64 watts of light, and the only filtration is from algae, lr and LS, and for circulation  I've got 2 micro jets on a wavemaker power strip.

Dude, that is one kewl hood, and I would like to say I am sorry this guy crapped on your thread.

(Edited by OscarBeast at 8:25 pm on Mar. 7, 2002)

well Nitrate,

The qoute means His hood was 2 feet tall in your first post then 8" in the next eitherway the lights in question would never be 2" from the water they would be 8" or 2' depending on your exageration at the time. your 2" analogy of me turning my corals white from "burning" them with a single 175MH is a load. Now take a 175 and place it 2" from the water with corals just below the surface, you will get alot more heat and radiation from my 400W that is 4" above the water with corals below the surface even at 6" than with the 175W.  Before you go and call someone a dipstick do the math Einstein. sometimes i wonder why i waste my time trying to enlighten you superstitious MH Haters.

Toy

To all the folks out on the post:

I really appreciate the support and helpful comments.  Nitritetest needs to get a life because he has gone too far and is trying to make this personal! If any of you have questions about making the bow I'd be happy to answer them.  Of course you had better consult Nitritetest before building anything... Get a life man!!!!  Nitritetest how about not hiding behind the fact that you don't have a digital camera.  These days any photo shop can put your pictures on CD so that we can all be impressed with how a tank should be built.  The reason I like this site is that everyone has something different to offer.  I spent a lot of time here before I built the tank and got a lot of valued input.  It's comments like yours that keep people from enjoying such a great site like this.  :burn:

ok honestly, I somewhat agree with nitritetest.  I don't want to sound like an @ss or anything, but I do think that the hood is a little to high for MY taste.  Great work on it though, but if I were you I would cut it down a little bit if you have some extra space.  I just don't really like hoods that are about the same height as the viewable tank.

This is purely my opinion, but I still commend you on all your hard work put into it.  kinda looks like my rock formation ... I like being able to see parts of the back.

nan015.jpg

This guy built a bowed front wood hood from scratch! Not an elevated hood, that sits over the tank and is open but a closed BOWED hood. Does anybody know how much work that is? It's a tough job! As far as the personal "I don't like it" or "I wouldn't want it" comments.... again I say..... It doesn't have to be in your home, you don't have to look at it, so leave him alone!

Why can't people see that we all don't have to do it the same way.

IMO...I don't care for open lighting schemes, so Nitrites idea doesn't appeal to me, however, it's his choice. I'm glad he likes what he's doing, but I wouldn't slam him for that. He's the one who has to look at it, not me, so do what you will. Hope it works for you!

nitritetest

Toy,

I don't feel like explaining physics to you, but you are wrong about the distance thing and heat and radiation.  When you talk about heat transfer, radiation, and light, things don't work like you are assuming.  You can't just add and subtract numbers based on a light bulb rating and expect to accurately describe what's going to happen.  There are a number of factors that affect these things, and it's wrong to say that "the sun is more intense" and think that you won't do any damage "just because you're using a light bulb".  By your theory, tanning beds should be perfectly safe for people.  By your argument about how much less intense light bulbs can be compared to the sun, It should be impossible to get a suntan, let alone a sunburn, or eny sort of exposure seriuos enough to lead to cancer from a light bulb...and we all know that's true don't we.............................!!!

I don't understand the difference between a 10 gallon tank with corals 2-12" below the 175W MH and a 55 gallon tank with the same instance. It's the same thing. We all know that people use MH's on 55's so what's the difference in this tank? In your premise Nitrite, no one should use MH's because it will burn the coral.  (close proximity= burn, but the same thing is true no matter what volume of water you have 2-12" is 2-12" no matter what.) You know that's not true because people use them in the same way this person is, just in a larger tank...so, what's the difference? Seroiusly...I am not trying to give you a hard time. What you are saying just doesn't make sense.

ToyFreek that is a hilarious footer. Fish04, when Nitrite says, I don't want to give you a physics lesson,,, call him on that. He doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, haha. I could get a dixie cup 2 inches deep with a MH 6 inches above it and the coral would be the same as it would be two inches from the surface of 1 million gallon aquarium with a MH 6 inches from the surface.

gaber

p.s. you will not make this putt - you jackass

nitritetest

Don't you know how to read gabe3eb?

I'll say it again.  I'm not talking about the distance a coral is from the water surface, or necessarily the distance a metal halide is from the water.  It's the DISTANCE FROM THE METAL HALIDE TO THE CORAL.

I said THE ONLY REASON to have a hood that high is IF YOU HAVE METAL HALIDES, because of heat etc.  BECAUSE the 7 gallon bowfront is such a shallow aquarium, if you had corals on the top of rockwork, they would practically be at the surface (ie less than an inch from it).

And gabe3eb, if you had a matal halide over a dixie cup full of water, vs a metal halide over a million gallon aquarium of water, which one do you think would have a higher temperature?  Think carefully dipstick.  Let's assume for some strange reason the water didn't evaporate out of then dixie cup in a day, the water would be much hotter than the million gallon aquarium, simply because there is alot more water to heat up in the million gallon aquarium, and heat would probably dissipate almost as quickly as it was taken into the system and wouldn't be measurable.

Gabe3b, I know what I'm talking about, too bad you can't understand what you read or you'd probaly know too.

Archived