inTank Media Baskets

KMitch's Holy Grail 22gal Reef

KMitch

Yeah i have kept BTAs before. I would only get it if it was a nicely colored one, I dont want some fugly thing. of course theres always the possibilty of moving to SPS in which case i'll avoid one.... hum

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so i redid the aquascape again. I like it this time. Its two big chucks in the sides and a narrow valley. I think it will make the light work better when theres no rock immediately under it.

We'll see tomorrow!

If its not one thing its 100 others, now having temp issues the other direction-- so I need a new heater thats more powerful. Also considering adding a Koralia pump to the tank to up to flow for some SPS!

If its not one thing its 100 others, now having temp issues the other direction-- so I need a new heater thats more powerful.
are the lights on schedule with the lights already? if so, just adjust the heater and let them fight it out. not exactly power conservation but it keeps the system in a relatively narrow range.

looks good! i'd take out some of the rocks on the far left as a flow thing. if that was more viewable (blocked by your wall) i'd also suggest it for viewing purposes.

a couple of things that worried me was your overflow chamber. the intake seemed narrow into the chamber. a little scum blockage and you might have some flooding issues. the other was that the chamber itself had no safety overflow. it seems like it's siliconed to the very top? you've got that packed pretty thick and i'm just concerned over time it may impede the downward flow versus the pump back.

hope the livestock feels better. moving is traumatic! :o

are the lights on schedule with the lights already? if so, just adjust the heater and let them fight it out. not exactly power conservation but it keeps the system in a relatively narrow range.

looks good! i'd take out some of the rocks on the far left as a flow thing. if that was more viewable (blocked by your wall) i'd also suggest it for viewing purposes.

a couple of things that worried me was your overflow chamber. the intake seemed narrow into the chamber. a little scum blockage and you might have some flooding issues. the other was that the chamber itself had no safety overflow. it seems like it's siliconed to the very top? you've got that packed pretty thick and i'm just concerned over time it may impede the downward flow versus the pump back.

hope the livestock feels better. moving is traumatic! :o

Hey Tiny-- yeah the lights are on a cycle already and we're doing better with heat issues, max temp today was 78. It comes at the cost of alot of evap....

The black line was where my water level was at 8am this morning, 12 hrs ago:

IMG_5069.JPG

New FTS (I took out some LR last night when I redid it)

IMG_5070.JPG

Yellow watchman:

IMG_5074.JPG

Starry Blenny:

IMG_5075.JPG

The overflow does not narrow and it would take a big chunck of rock falling back there to block it. I did some tests when I got the tank, and the worst that could ever happen is 5 gals of water overflow the tank, but it would basically take a rock in tank that was 4 in long to clog the overflow. Even if power fails, water wont drop to a point that leaves livestock out of water. Cadlights designed the tank well.

I am going to try turning off the fans at night to see what that does to cooling, my goal is to drop 2F tonite MAX.

KM

anyone think getting a glass hood would help the evap? I mean obviously it would but do you think i am likely to have heat issues then?

The tank looks Great Kristen.... I'm glad everything worked out the way you wanted it to! By the way I have an Iceprobe Chiller that a customer purchased and returned that I could make you a great deal on to help with the temp control issues..

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you in the future!

JT

http://www.addictiveaquatics.com

wow JT you found my thread! I was actually going to shoot you an email soon with some questions... consider yourself PMed soon.

Needreefunds
The tank looks Great Kristen.... I'm glad everything worked out the way you wanted it to! By the way I have an Iceprobe Chiller that a customer purchased and returned that I could make you a great deal on to help with the temp control issues..

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you in the future!

JT

http://www.addictiveaquatics.com

Wow Kristen, He became a member just to check up on you? How is that for customer service? ;) Tank is looking sweet. (still fussin' with the scape??)

I'm telling you, hit up JT at Addictive Aquatics if you need something. Hes a great guy and his staff all knew me by name by the time we got here.

And I havent touched the scape-- I am happy with it, finally.

I got a new pygmy angel today-- perhaps smaller than the first. Hes super cute. Little bashful!

Also got some zoa frags and i will post pics tomorrow when its all open and maybe the fish is being more social.

KM

thats a sexy tank!

too bad they didn't have that when i first started. i would say black for background, and, those 4...i forgot what those were called.....4 thingys that shoot flow take up too much space and are unsightly. just my honest opinion, i would think a pump would look better :)

becareful with the watchman, it will jump!

EZ-- i actually have started liking the blue background, i think we'll kep it. And I removed one of each piece of loc-line so its just 1 on each side. Not as noticeable and I get better flow.

Hoping to start putting some SPS in there and turning it into an EZ sorta reef.

travisurfer

Tank looks even better know. If you do put a glass top on it, you will have heat issues. You may want to think about that iceprobe if you go that route.

Well i think i have the heat issue under control. We maxed out at 78 yesterday and dropped to 77 tonite.

If we stay in that range i think I am okay with heat.

Only problem with the glass top is that it might interfere with my ATO--I might need a custom job from a glass sho to still allow me access into the rear chambers.

I used to go to Heavener Hardware in town to get simple pieces of glass cut for my tanks. They're pretty cheap. Although, it will likely cause some heat problems for ya. My old 54 corner tank was located in a basement in Blacksburg and in the summer I still had to run the AC a bit to keep it from overheating because I used a glass top with a 250w MH.

-Dan

Hey Kmitch, so i finally got some pics of my 34G Cadlight tank, check it out. how is everything? i wish i had as much corals as you did, but now i gotta go spend the bucks to get my tank stocked.

i hate angelfish-- this new one died. I shoulda been a little smarter since it came into the store only a few hours before I purchased it and never saw it eat. Thankfully i have connections!

So enuf with angels-- what other fish should I add to this tank? taking requests so i can order it next week.

ok i should have phrased that better, I know of you and one other person beyond him.

You ever come to ZQ?

Yes, I was in there about two weeks ago. I wanted to talk to you about that tank. The girl in there said you had just left. I used to go more often when ZQ was in bburg. It seemed to have more then too. Paul was always very helpful to me. I likeed the old prop tank with the yellow stripe maroon. Ah well. things change.

I'm eyeing that 35 gallon HQI. Now I'm torn between that and an 18" starphire cube by nano-paul. gurrrrrrrrrrrrr

Darn sorry I missed you. I work M-F, 10-6 but I also work some saturday's (like this one). Next time you are in town come by. We got alot of zoa frags and small LPS frags the other day that are awesome for nanos.

KM

Archived