Top Shelf Aquatics

KMitch's Holy Grail 22gal Reef

KMitch

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see your tank. Do the curved front edges distort the view? Is it at zooquatic?

Tagging along. I have the same tank and I'm looking for ideas

ZooQuatic is the pet store I work at.... no we dont stock this tank. Its the cadlights tank and I actually wasnt supposed to start with that tank if you read the first part of this forum post. The curved glass only distorts right at the bend, its just like the nanocube or aquapod in that respect. I will post pics of the tank when it comes next week.

So excited!

Well exciting stuff.... today I was out "exploring" and found a pygmy angel that was wee bitty. maybe 1inch max size. hes really small. there were two other people who would get him if i didnt get him today.

ive been looking for a really super small pygmy for awhile and i find one three days before my tank transfer. I decided to risk it since theres never a gurantee on finding a wee-bitty fishy. So for 3 days hes got a smaller house to live in before upgrading. Thankfully with his small size it wont be an overload on the tank. Also got a super awesome frogspawn chunk... saweet.

Angel1.JPG

Angel2.JPG

You can see by comparing his size to those brown button polyps that hes really small.

KM

cutie itty-bitty pygmy! i was going to recommend an orchid or dragonet-type but the pygmy is also another fav of mine (just not always trustworthy tho).

the swcd setup sounds good too. the concept is sound and i agree it should yield you the surge you spoke about.

the swcd setup sounds good too. the concept is sound and i agree it should yield you the surge you spoke about.

Actually i think i am going to have two returns, one on the SCWD, the other as a primary water surge through the back. I am going to use loclin to basically run water through a spray bar in the back of the tank to ensure theres no dead water spots.

So far the pygmy hasnt been interested in picking at anything besides the LR and hes been eating prepared foods great.

travisurfer

people claim that they nip at clams' mantles in most cases; however, in most cases they are just picking algae off the rocks so keep your cuc small. caves, as well as an open area, are a must for these guys. be sure to get some formula two frozen food that was designed especially for pygmy's. as you can tell, i've done a ton of research on these guys since they are my favorite fish.

Yeah i have some caves built in my new LR structure, i fed him formula 1 and 2 today to see what he would go for, he ate both with glee

LR%20Curing.JPG

My Live Rock curing buckets, the left one is the cured stuff that is now being light exposed to get some color. The one on the right is new rubble about a week into curing, hence the skimmer and the light shade. You might also see the mangroves in there just chilling waiting for a fuge home.

RO%20(1).JPG

Got that Friday, making some RO for the few tank fillup

RO.JPG

I had to get creative to hook the RO up to the kitchen sink! (at least I can still use the sink while using the RO)

Well so far the angel has been less than interested in eating anything resembling coral/clam. Hes going for flake, frozen and nips at the LR, all of which are fine by me!

He just needs a name....

TANK COMES FRIDAY! DHL shipping tracked it for me!

They sent me pics before shipping, here she is:

custom%2022G%20addictive%20aqua%20001.jpg

custom%2022G%20addictive%20aqua%20002.jpg

custom%2022G%20addictive%20aqua%20004.jpg

custom%2022G%20addictive%20aqua%20005.jpg

custom%2022G%20addictive%20aqua%20006.jpg

Cant decide if I am going to paint the background black-- opinions welcome!

Kristen

No opinions? :(

West coast bump and i cant make up my mind on painting the background....looks at krylon fusion paint sitting here.... looks at tank....ugh

Wow ... again I say Wow. That is one fine looking tank!

Personally, I would leave the back wall blue. In time coraline algae will cover the whole thing. (Plus then you could start playing with the tank right away :) )

Again ... wow :)

Thats ROYAL BLUE CELL-CAST!! probably the highest quality of acrylics around. painting it would definitely kill the beauty. sorry for being emotional, but i chose the blue background on my 34G thats coming in next week.

OK... i'll wait and check it out in person before making a decision. I hope to have enuf stuff in there that you wont see the back of the tank anyway! :)

COMES TOMORROW!!! AHHHHH

Tomorrow night I'm planning on putting it all together equipment wise and then saturday the swap happens --- eek!

Kristen

Lighting test:

Just T-5 Actnics:

IMG_4954.JPG

Just MH:

IMG_4957.JPG

Both T-5s and Actinics:

IMG_4958.JPG

So far so good, no problems yet to be discovered that are too big. Only one was that the arm on the remora sticks out just far enough that I cant put the fuge light on there with the MH light, but thats okay because I didnt like how big it was and was going to probably redo that anyway.

soooo nice!

Archived