Top Shelf Aquatics

Wine bottle reef

distantfire

I put some weed in the bottle for it to hide in.

And it was still stressed?

Erm, anyway. . . Could you get some flat pieces of rock and shelf them into a slope? That would look neat if you could get them to taper right.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
distantfire

Riona I'm hopeing to find some nice rocks to use. So far this project has been a interesting challenge. I'm trying to do the best that I can with it. And stay away from reinventing the wheel to make it work. If you know what I mean.

Uploadead I was saying a few choice words to my dremel last night. Because the bit kept sliping in the keyless chuck. I would already have the slot finished if I could heat it up LOL.

moe sizlack

o.k.

i'm only going to throw this out here.

i wouldn't suggest trying this, but if you do you'll need the following:

some really long tweezers

safety glasses

a large piece of untreated leather

if you had a kiln, and could slowly ramp the temp up... then you could try and hit it with a torch. of course you would need to put it back in the kiln and slowly ramp the temp down in order to anneal the glass. any other method and possibly this one as well, will most likely lead to complete catastrophic failure of the bottle's structural integrity. (ie: potentially deadly broken glass flying thru the atmosphere)

make sure you wear the glasses, and keep the leather over your lap.

nothing scarier than molten glass melting it's way thru the crotch of your pants.

again, please don't do this if you've never played with torches and glass before. -_-

distantfire

Yeah that would work Moe but it would be very risky. I'm going to keep at it using my cylinder bits until the slot is the way I want it.

Of course I would have finished the glass drilling a long time ago. If I just cut the top off the bottle and then hooked a HOB on the rim. But anybody can make a cylinder tank.

make sure you wear the glasses, and keep the leather over your lap.

nothing scarier than molten glass melting it's way thru the crotch of your pants.

again, please don't do this if you've never played with torches and glass before. -_-

i definitely wouldn't suggest this, considering once molten glass hits skin the only way to remove it is wait for it to cool as is burns away your flesh and then shatter it and remove the shards with the attached skin. not worth it, imo.

distantfire

I made a simple kiln out of fired brick. But I used the kiln for making knifes not melting glass. I will be trying my hand at blowing glass latter this year. Because it's becoming a lost art and I would like to make a pico out of my own blown glass.

distantfire

I finished up working on the stand this afternoon. I also came up with a idea for having differnt backgrounds. I'll post a couple more pic's. of it latter this evening.

distantfire

Here's the simple stand I made for the bottle. And I like both of the backgrounds, but the black background will hide my power cords better. I still have more work to do but this is my prototype so far.

distantfire

Thank's RP Beesh it's a idea that I've had for about 5 months. And I will be taken more pic's of this project along the way.

avalanche1201

that is so awesome, I hope you can figure out the filtration prob you were having earlier...this is def a tank id love to set up as an invert tank or something in the liquor store I work at (or use to work at if I get a diff job this summer)

its real sweet looking so far

distantfire

Thank's avalanche hopefully it will get better from this point on. Last night I opened a photobucket account. Now I won't have to worry about running out of picture space here on N-R.

I came up with a new idea for mounting my light fixture. I want to shorten the background and make it not so tall. Then drill 2 holes close to the top of the background and put in a pair of dowel rods. My light fixture would sit right on top of the 2 dowel rods. And then it would be a done deal. I will try it this weekend using some scrap arclyc and see how it looks.

I still have more work to do on the slot for better gas exchange.

I know the slot looks huge in the pictures but it really is not that big.

I'm also leaning more towards keeping the filtration simple. Because I want to get this wine bottle reef up and running.

avalanche1201

I was thinking...you could have little piles of LR that are kinda open...and try to hide small media bags of chemi-pure etc or something...

O man! I just thought of this as i type...You could make a cap that fits the..well...cap perfect...and make a small closed loop that fits through the cap and you can seal it shut...the CL could lead to a small box w/ ur media bags

just some ideas...hth

edit: if u dont mind air bubbles u can have a flexable air stone go along the bottom of the tank.

just a few more ideas

distantfire

Thanks avalanche for your ideas. Also they make a rubber stopper that has 2 holes already pre drilled thru it. And that stopper could be used to make a closed loop. I already thought about seting up a 2.5 sump/fuge and plumbing it directly to the bottle. But my goal is to keep this project simple.

distantfire

Yeah it sure has sparked a lot of ideas so far. I'm looking forward to working on this project this weekend. Hopefully things will work out the way that I want them to.

distantfire

Well I came up with this idea over the weekend. The dividers will be made out of thin glass and siliconed to the bottom of the bottle on a angle. The bottom of the bottle will get covered in green waving finger gsp over time. And red kelp will be added to the LR rubble on both sides of the dividers. The red kelp should be good enough to hide my pump. And my heater can hide behind the LR rubble in the back.

I'm not sure yet what I want to grow along the back. Perhaps just some white pom-poms, zoa's and a mushroom or two.

distantfire

supernareq I've just been working on it in my spare time. And I havn't taken any newer pic's lately. But I will be posting more pic's of this project's progress here in the future.

Archived