Coral Vue Hydros

Bumpy/Hairy Crab?

Hurricane

A buddy of mine gave me about 10 pounds of rock for my tank. When I was looking at it I saw this crab. It has large claws that are dark, its bumpy and has tiny hairs on its legs. Can anyone tell me what type of crab this is and if it is reef safe.

I still have not been able to catch the crab from my 3.5 gal nano.

Thanks

hellllllssssssss no. get rid of that sucker. Catch him and take him to your LFS they might give you credit. Some people keep freeky crabs.

I have kept the exact same crab as you have for a very long time now. The crab never leaves its rock, at least not during the daylight, and I can see his claw come out to scrape the rock for algae aevery now and then. It has stayed relatively small (about an inch) and is basically a chicken s**t. He has never bothered a coral that I have noticed and I kind of like him when I actually get a chance to see it. Here is a picture of it in its rock (look between the zoo patches).

attachment.php?s=&postid=49526

harbingerofthefish

Hairy ,Teddy Bear(prob. not) or Gorilla crab.

Acheus japonicus (?)

eat me

if indeed it is a gorilla or teady bear, I would get rid of it. Place a small jar in the sand at an angle and "seed" it with some seafood. it crawls in you get it out.

Archived