SaltCritters.com

Safe Hermit or Unsafe hermit... *pics*

BigReefer

I was wondering if someone could tell me if this hermit crab is safe for reefs.. I bought them as Hawaiian Hermits... My main concern is if they would eat coral.. Thanks

Yeah they are cool little guys. I've known them as zebra hermits but dont know they're true name.

They are good workers in my tanks

The Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab, also known as the Hawaiian Reef Hermit Crab or Left-handed Hermit Crab, is a very small hermit crab, but like other hermit crabs, has an enlarged left claw. If a predator attacks, the Hermit Crab can back into its shell and use the large claw to block the entrance to its shell. Members of the genus Calcinus have long eye stalks. In the case of Calcinus laevimanus, the lower half of the eyestalk is blue, and the upper half, orange.

The Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab is a valuable addition to an aquarium because it eats many kinds of algae, including red slime algae (cyanobacteria), and sifts the sand, as well.

If there is insufficient algae in the aquarium, the diet should be supplemented with dried seaweed.

Approximate Purchase Size: 1/4" to 3/4"

Archived