Cultivated Reef

my ap24g

modularduck

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
modularduck
haha

is the light making your tank blue? or was it the camera?

acctually just the light i had just turned it on for the first time and it was still warming up so a bit blue i will post another one with it fully on.

modularduck

with the ne sunpod fully on baby....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhh(in best barry white voice)

i571210_DSCF0848.JPG

seahorsejl
with the ne sunpod fully on baby....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhh(in best barry white voice)

Must .... not ... look .... directly .... into .... the ... light .... :lol:

Very nice!! Every time I see a tank with a SunPod I start wanting one again, but I have to admit I am pretty happy with my PC's right now. Maybe "next" tank ;)

modularduck

well I gotta say i truely never could have imagined the change that going to MH would bring in my tank i have never seen any of my corals look so good. i am looking forward to having a clam. just have to wait for my photo period to get up to speed but that will be soon enough. i am wondering who out there keeps clams with out a skimmer? i have chamber fuge and am thinking of changing it in space for a sapphire any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
modularduck

so i haven't posted in a while do to work and school. i have exciting new stuff those thanks to Mvite! here are some new pics. from the tank.

first the great giant hulk like star.

DSCF0879.jpg

New RPE from Mvite.

DSCF0869.jpg

New blasto from Mvite.

DSCF0871.jpg

also this week i was digging around at a LFS and found some single little polyps of blue zoas. i have done a bunch of checking online and have yet to find them i need to take a better pic but here is one i have 5 single polyps i was able to save out of the tank. these are not tubs there some thing else, any ideas?

DSCF0875.jpg

i am also thinking about fragging my big lime green short tenticle pagoda but not really sure how to? anyone ever done it?

• 2 weeks later...
modularduck

So the fun of my long weekend was having an electrician come and keep my house from burning down! The house was built in the 50's and only had a 100amp service for the whole thing and with 4 tanks and a full recording studio apparently it couldn't keep up. so, last week on monday my fiance smelled something burning in the garage and asked me to come look. sure enough it was one of the 3 fuse boxes that was starting to burn. did i mention that we also run a dog rescue and have 10 dogs in our garage in kennels, big garage little power. so anyway i took the next day off work so i could find someone to fix it. i finally got ahold of an electrician i know and he came out to look. "no biggie" he said, famous last words. any so it took several days oof getting stuff ready with the tank getting a generator and everything to keep stuff up but fianlly it is done and now i have many dedicated new 20amp circuits for my tanks and a few for more down the road!! I hope none of you ever have to go through the stress of running your tank on a honda generator but on the other hand at least you know you can.

seahorsejl

Yowza! Good thing you got that dealt with before anything serious happened.

Now you can add more fish tanks :happy:

modularduck

yeah totally! i will be adding a 20L for grow out of my cichlid babies, damn convicts just keep pumping them out. lol, also going to be looking into a 125 if i can find the room. of course thats after i finish paying for all the electrical lol. :)

modularduck

So now that all my electrical woes are finished and work has slowed a bit I have time to post some new pics. I also recently got some new stuff from Mvite which you will see prominately displayed. Thanks again Mark!

DSCF0900.jpg

and here is a close up of my new clam!

DSCF0902.jpg

one day i will have a better camera, but till then i will make do with my point and shoot. thought this pic turned out pretty well.

Merletti from Mvite

DSCF0897.jpg

:D

seahorsejl
skimmer, fuge, or both?

Tank is look uber-sweet! And that clam! Love the blues in it.

Well the fish-crazy answer would be both :) I personally only have a skimmer ... but probably would have liked to have a fuge also. The skimmer seems to help keep the algae growth at bay, and helps make up for the massive feedings I do sometime.

I suspect the fuge would also help with the algae growth too... and provide a constant source of pods for the fish and corals to much on.

modularduck

Thanks JL! it's coming along. i'm thinking i might just do both. why? because i think i have figured out how to make it happen. on a different not last night while moving a couple of things around i noticed a piece of what appears to be yellow monti on a candy cane frag i've had for some time. it is about a quarter sized. the down side is that its on the back side if the candy cane so tonight i will be getting out the rotory tool to see if i can liberate it and move it to a better place after remounting. pics tonight if i can get some.

modularduck

so while out driving around for work today i stopped in at a LFS and such a deal they had for me so, today i picked up a rose BTA and an electric flame scallop and a new maroon clown who has been dubbed "Omen" the anti nemo. also i wish to again thank all of you in our community that have been so helpful in getting this all going for me, and have answered so many questions. I also want to talk about my losses, to date i have lost:

FISH:

1-yellow watchman

1-yellow clown goby

1-firefish

1-occ clown

Corals:

Yellow tipped torch

muti rics

Inverts:

1- GBTA

2- large mexican turbos

i look at these losses as lack of being informed. the truth is that most of these died as a result of my former GBTA diing a slow death and me not catching it in time and it nearly nuking my tank. it is truly amazing to me how simple of complex this hobby can be. I have found that you can pretty much find anything here, and if not all you need do is ask. for that i am greatful.

i will hopefully have time to tank pics of the new addition tonight time permitting.

seahorsejl

Ooo .. nice additions! Keep an eye on the RBTA, as it might sting some of your existing corals as it moves around searching for that "premo" spot.

modularduck

Thanks! it has found a spot it likes in a space between a couple rocks where the clam used to live. i moved the clam down to the sand bed actually to a space with more light and flow! not in the tank more than 10 min and omen was already in his new bubble. and the bioluminecese in the scallop are super cool. pics to come.

• 2 weeks later...
modularduck

Today got new MJ1200 to replace one of the 900s as i have been on a kick buying sps and what not and figured needed more flow.

here are a couple of new chalice frags i got.

DSCF0935.jpg

i have decided i need a new tank just for corals i really like and have no place for. so now i must find a way to justify another tank in the house. thinking a 33l might make a good first prop tank with a 20l sump. any ideas guys?

• 2 weeks later...
modularduck

More pics.....

Chalice

DSCF0981.jpg

crazy clam pic..

DSCF0966.jpg

most recent FTS

DSCF0991.jpg

palys.

DSCF0977.jpg

Pagoda.

DSCF1000.jpg

different palys.

DSCF0996.jpg

purple haze monti.

DSCF0994.jpg

And the RBTA without its clown for a split second....

DSCF0989.jpg

its getting there...

I'm digging the RBTA. I have a similarly sized GBTA that is my pride and joy. But he has a long residing anemone crab that defends his turf with a vengance against any attempts by my perc to invade.

The chalice is very nice as well. I just got an incredibly beautiful sun coral frag at Rose City Aquarium for only $15. I'll post picks when I get a chance. Where are you buying all these sweet frags? Are you getting good deals? I've slowed down a bit on my tank investment because I'm going on vacation next week with my girlfriend to Frisco, but I'm sure come August I'll pick up a couple new frags. Got my eye on the chalices (where did you get yours?). Lookin good. Where in Portland are you? I'm in Gresham, but I work downtown at the Union Pacific Railroad.

modularduck
Very nice! The FTS is great.

And it looks like your RBTA settled in quite fine too.

Thanks JL! your tank aint so shabby either. ;)

I'm digging the RBTA. I have a similarly sized GBTA that is my pride and joy. But he has a long residing anemone crab that defends his turf with a vengance against any attempts by my perc to invade.

The chalice is very nice as well. I just got an incredibly beautiful sun coral frag at Rose City Aquarium for only $15. I'll post picks when I get a chance. Where are you buying all these sweet frags? Are you getting good deals? I've slowed down a bit on my tank investment because I'm going on vacation next week with my girlfriend to Frisco, but I'm sure come August I'll pick up a couple new frags. Got my eye on the chalices (where did you get yours?). Lookin good. Where in Portland are you? I'm in Gresham, but I work downtown at the Union Pacific Railroad.

I too had a GBTA, had being the operative. :( (not enough light at the time) they are super cool! tell ya what when your nem splits and my nem splits again we can trade then you'll have a place for your clowns. lol. sun corals are really cool, but remember you have to feed it. mine eats krill and mysis and has gone crazy growing. as far as where to buy frags here in town. check this thread for some ideas.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=116038&hl=

but also i get some here from the list. i think i get pretty good deals everywhere i go here. but then i spend an inordinate amount of time a LFS i visit my three favorites at least weekly so i've gotten to know everyone pretty well. luckily i spend a fair amount of time driving around the metro area for work so i get paid mileage to go look a cool rocks..All my chalice has come from LFSs here, Upscales out in tualatin, and seahorse off columbia both have super selections and nice knowledgeable staff. i am think about starting a 4 tank set up with one for softies,1 for lps, and one for sps, the last as a sump. i live in deep SE out your way im off stark and 122nd.

Thanks JL! your tank aint so shabby either. ;)

I too had a GBTA, had being the operative. :( (not enough light at the time) they are super cool! tell ya what when your nem splits and my nem splits again we can trade then you'll have a place for your clowns. lol. sun corals are really cool, but remember you have to feed it. mine eats krill and mysis and has gone crazy growing. as far as where to buy frags here in town. check this thread for some ideas.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=116038&hl=

but also i get some here from the list. i think i get pretty good deals everywhere i go here. but then i spend an inordinate amount of time a LFS i visit my three favorites at least weekly so i've gotten to know everyone pretty well. luckily i spend a fair amount of time driving around the metro area for work so i get paid mileage to go look a cool rocks..All my chalice has come from LFSs here, Upscales out in tualatin, and seahorse off columbia both have super selections and nice knowledgeable staff. i am think about starting a 4 tank set up with one for softies,1 for lps, and one for sps, the last as a sump. i live in deep SE out your way im off stark and 122nd.

I have been in all the LFS you mention. Waves is pretty nice too and so is Saltwater Fanta Seas.

• 2 weeks later...
modularduck

So last night i was pleased to see my fairly new porcelin(sp) crab out enjoying a cruise around the tank looking for a good place to post up and get some good current for a bite to eat. very cool. i went to go let out the dogs (which takes about an hour and a half as we have 14) when i returned i looked to see where it had gone. to my dismay 3 bubble bee snails, my peppermint, and cleaner were all feasting on it! is this normal? i can't imagine it is. perhaps i am not feeding them enough of something....lame non the less.

Archived