ReefCleaners.org

my ap24g

modularduck

modularduck

well i suppose this is possible JL but it looked to me like there were meaty parts still inside. but perhaps it was a molt. I hope so. i'll have to check it when i get home today and see if that was all it was. it was strange that it was just hanging out on the sand at the bottom of the tank. usually its on a rock somewhere fishing for food. do you know if they molt by opening the flap on the bottom of their shell and wriggeling out?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, all crabs back out of their shell. Generally the apron opens up and they push themselves out. You may not see him for a day or two until his shell hardens up. He knows he will be vulnerable until then.

• 2 weeks later...
THANKS! thats encouraging maybe it was just a molt then

Any news on the crab? Just asking cause I saw my white porcelain crab on the sand this morning .... ever since I put in in, he has never left his large toadstool leather. So I am wondering if I am gonna come home and find him hermit fodder.

modularduck

nope i havn't seen him yet, the pom-pom is still hangin out but hav't seen the porcelain. but he used to hide on the underside of some rock work and i have been super busy with work. i will have time to play with my tank tonight so i can give you a better update.

modularduck

Indeed! more corals...well found a temporary fix to my immediate lack of space problem and put some of my corals into the mantis tank for more decoration i also make shifted my old hood into a new light for the mantis tank. but this is not the mantis tank so i digress. i finally got around to finishing my 1st chamber fuge and did much reaquascaping in an effort to make more room and prepare for the NWCFM. i visited both Upscales and Seahorse this weekend and pulled a few frags from both. I am so glad that we are blessed with such great LFS here!! thanks to all!! any way here are some new pics.

FTS

DSCF1033.jpg

some Zoas

DSCF1055.jpg

rics

DSCF1052.jpg

acans

DSCF1034.jpg

modularduck

NEW STUFF!!! i went to the NWCFM today, and got stuff...some stuff.

DSCF1065.jpg

new Echino

DSCF1063.jpg

pink and orange montis

DSCF1076.jpg

pokerstar monti

DSCF1075.jpg

superman monti

i also got another piece from tyree he called blue oxypora i will get a better pic of it later to post. anyone heard of it? then since it WAS on my way home, i stoped at a LFS and got these.

DSCF1070.jpg

there are about 10 heads on it and i got another rock (not pictured) that has 2 2 1/2" heads on it for $15 bucks each.

DSCF1072.jpg

not sure of the type of acro but super pretty! anyone got an ID?

hey dude this is my first time seeing your tank thread, looks good bro not as crowded as I thought hehe. Did you get that blue one from AW Exotics? It's gorgeous I'm sure someone knows the exact name. Just ask on PNWMAS.

• 5 weeks later...

so i have lost pretty much all of my SPS in the last 2 weeks mainly due to my lack of time to deal with my tank with all that has been going on in my life with my now ex fiance and everything my tank has suffered once i move and get it set back up things should be better. and i will take new pics of it... to be continued...

thanks JL as it turns out my fighting conch got stuck between a couple of rocks and died thus nuking tank and killing all but 2 SPS frags, also killed a bunch of yumas. but after a couple water changes tank seems to be getting back to normal. lol of course i will be moving it this weekend to my new place so wish me luck with that adventure..

thanks JL as it turns out my fighting conch got stuck between a couple of rocks and died thus nuking tank and killing all but 2 SPS frags, also killed a bunch of yumas. but after a couple water changes tank seems to be getting back to normal. lol of course i will be moving it this weekend to my new place so wish me luck with that adventure..

Yikes! That is something good to know... I just got a Tonga conch, which is related to the fighting conch. I will have to make sure I see him every day :)

Definitely good luck on moving the tank. I moved mine last November... hopefully yours will go as smooth as mine did.

• 3 weeks later...

ok so the the tank finally got moved today. i had no idea i had so many frags in it. it took me the better part of 2 hours just to bag everything up and then i had to make 2 trips to get everything from the place i own to the place i rent..lol. but it is done. i know for sure i have lost my pom pom. it fell out of a piece of rock, and was found dryed up on the floor. sucked. i couldn't get the RBTA to let go of its rock so into the bucket it went. it has taken me a little more than 6 hours to do everything and i am a bit nervous about how everything will fare. i took the oppertunity to do some maintenance on the pumps. i am really excited about the new aqua scape. i will try to post some pics in later today and then i will know better how things went. fingerscrossed

OK so i moved the tank on last thursday and it seems to be doing well. the whole operation took way longer than i thought. i had no idea how many frags i had to bag up. so it took a long time i was worried that my live stock, fish and shrimps and what not would not fare well since it took so long but i packed them in large styrofoam boxes. here are some pics:

boxes

DSCF1105.jpg

FTS

DSCF1133.jpg

Zoas

DSCF1138.jpg

Zoas

DSCF1136.jpg

Rics

DSCF1142.jpg

Echino

DSCF1146.jpg

Tyree blue oxypora

DSCF1149.jpg

Micro from Mvite, its got 3 new mouths

DSCF1150.jpg

so total losses from move was just the pom-pom crab who made the leap of death to my hard wood floors from a piece of LR as I was reaquascaping. so all and all not a bad thing.

• 4 weeks later...

ok so pulled super rookie mistake a couple days ago, so i was looking at the tank and was thinking to myself you know some of my corals are looking a bit funny so i did some testing and found my SG to be 1.030!! oh poop i thought ok so i need to get that back down but instead of slowly bringing it back down over a couple of days what did i do....thats right did it in one fail swoop and well let me tell ya i lost 2 nice rics, one frag of orange crush acan, and my RBTA is really pissed, it looks like it will be fine but still. damn i'm dumb. think before you act, i wish i had done that. just goes to show yet again nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

yeah so my stupidity has cost me and the maroon the RBTA...Lame. I came home yesterday to find it on the sand bed in a gelatinous pile. so another hefty water change and retesting last night and all parameters are normal again, but who knows how long it will take for everything to get back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

so i have not made an update in a long time much has happened in the tank i will detail more later but here are some new pics

Zoas

DSCF1233.jpg

more of the same

DSCF1231.jpg

FTS

DSCF1225.jpg

I've read thru most of your thread. Very Nice! I may have missed it, but do you still have the Sea Apple? He could be part of the water quality issues you have been running in to. They are the toxic ones, not the cucumbers. Cukes can be bad, but not typically, whereas a dead or stressed sea apple is almost always disaster. I've wanted one and did tons of research and decided against it. I have had two cukes and they are fine so far. Keep up with the pics. You have some really cool stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

thanks megan! no sea apple, never got on, had a pink and green cuc for quite awhile but it died finally. and luckily i was able to get it out with out taring everything apart. so the tank has been moved again. i moved it yesterday and everything went really soothly, since deciding that i was no longer going to be buying frags and save and only buy large colonies life has become much easier. also bagging and moving things was way better to deal with. soon i will have my new cold water set up as well. pics of new aquascaping to follow soon.

Hey duck, great tank. I have an AP24 that I've had for over a year, and just haven't set it up....worked on some cabinetry for it today, in fact. Did you ever set up the chamber fuge you mentioned earlier in the thread? If so, could you give some specs and how it's working for you? (e.g. lighting, temps, etc.)

Wow! (picks jaw up from key board tray) That is is one awesome ap! Don't want to look back in your thread but what lighting are you useing? I have one with the stock pcs and my corals look amazing. But your light seems to have a bluer tint which leads me to think you have mh. I also wish my rock work was like yours as i'm running out of room for corals fast and have only 1/2 of what you have.

Archived