SaltCritters.com

10 gallon Acrylic up and running

rrr757

OK, got some details and questions, let me know what you all think.

Tank:  10 gallon Flat Back Hex Sea Clear Acrylic Aquarium

Lighting: The lighting that I have with this tank is the jbj desktop formosa 36 watts. One 10K and one actinic blue power compact bulbs.  

I have about 20 pounds of LR, and 15-20 pounds of LS

Leather coral

Star Polyps (4 colonies)

Purple Mushrooms (2 rocks of them)

Green Mushrooms (1 rock of them)

1 Feather Duster

Green-Brown Button Polyps

Brown-Green Button Polyps

4 Snails (Austrea & Turbo)

2 Red-Legged Scarlett Hermit Crabs

3 Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs

Question time:  

1.  I was thinking about getting a pair of true percs, would this be too much of a bio load for this tank?

2.  Do shrimps and stuff like emerald crabs, add much bioload to worry about-I mean is there like a safe number of how many emerald crabs, or fire shrimp I can put in there.

3.  With 36 watts of lighting, can I add like small frags of hammer coral, torch coral, or brain coral?

Thanks

Mickey (rrr757-username)

ps-my website is finally up :

http://www.indiahouston.com/tank

Your Reef is looking really good!

q1: I know there are some Nano-reefers in here that actually have 2 perculas in less than a ten gal. So your bio load shouldnt be affected too much.

q2: I read somwhere a clean up crew doesnt really add much of a bioload. the rulle of thumb is 1 hermit per gallon but i know alot of people who keep more than that.

q3: i know about those coral from raedings of post only...sorry i cant really help with this question.

Again great looking tank!!! I love the amount of star polyps you have.

:smile:

Thanks pendragon

Yeah, star polyps look awesome, especially when you have a powerhead on the timer, and the current changes, they look awesome.

Thanks for the feedback on the percs and cleanup crew

Mickey

Thanks JAIbarra

i just bought the tank from Peter who is  a member of nano reef, he said he has had the tank setup for 4-5 months according to the auction.  Luckily I got a great deal on it, i do miss the fact that i can not set it up from scratch, half the fun is building up the tank.  It has been with me since this past sunday though, and everything seems to be thriving, check out my website http://www.indiahouston.com/corals.asp  that page has pictures of all the stuff i have in there so far.   Thanks

Mickey

quiksilver5768

Great Tank! I love your star polyps and mushrooms. What did you mean by setting you powerhead on a timer and changing the current?? Looks good : )

Hey quiksilver5768,

I have my powerhead connected to a natural wave plug outlet, that allows three powerheads to be switched on and off, at random times, with different ones on and off at the same time if that makes sense, its made by aquarium systems, its great, the only thing is that I only have one power head, and would like to add another, but dont want to run up the temprature, or have to much current, but then again, i think i have to try it out.  

Also, thanks for all the great feedback on the tank, btw I love the GSP's too

Is there any noise from the powerheads as they turn on and off with the wavemaker power outlet?  Any additional noise at all? I keep my tank in the bedroom and I like it to be as silent as possible.  The idea of surging currents is very appealing.

The power head does make a noise when it turns on, but my power head is not that loud, i think it depends on your powerhead, my 2  out of 3 maxijets in my 30 did not make noise, but the auqua clear powerhead makes noise, but not too loud, but dont know how your sleep is affected by little noises.  let me know if you have anymore questions

Mickey

Archived