Innovative Marine Aquariums

Balanced 1.5 gallon reef

brandon429

by balanced I mean it works, its not just thrown in there!  small aquariums (really small) can be kept if you consider the right things.  testreefbowl.jpgcloseupreef.jpg

its me and no not unfortunately :) I have got my manners well within reach.

so you like the nano reefer53?  i saw piics of yours its definately ba.

'429

yeah its all natural. doing well but I regret using live sand. should have gone to coral/LR rubble. have to redo in 3 mos. per what Dr. Ron said. I think he's got some very useable knowledge.  do you like/agree with him nano53?

nah... nothing to be nervous about. I got a hold on the ammonia/nitrogen load with caulerpa, water changes and no critters added except whats on the LR. Dont see any reason why it would crash (soon as I vacuum out the sand replaced with fragged LR) and its over three months old now and doing fine. Got a small actinic and daylight so everything is pretty much accounted for. I dont feed anything except for a littel extra calcium, iodine and DT's. Getting good clavularia reproduction, started with 6 polyps now have twelve. It made me nervous too when I first set it up but in time Ive mellowed a bit when I found out maintainig carbonates was key to this tiny system. Three months is a good indication period wouldnt you think? I like any ideas I can get on the system.

What does make me nervous however is children any where near my living room with nerf balls! The only design I wish I could change would be a wider or reinforced base (could build later). Tip hazard.  As far as the biology goes though, its just a scaled down 5 gallon there is really no difference.

quiksilver5768

Nice tank brandon. I would never try one THAT small myself. I feel that a 10 is small enough for me. Hope everything works out : )

hi brandon,

i'm new to this hobby, but i think your 1.5g is great. it's very artistic, too, the shape of the tank, like a vase. you are bold for even trying it. good job.

if i could make a suggestion, is it possible to hide your lights with something, perhaps a fancy lampshade or something like that?

Archived