Innovative Marine Aquariums

how to catch a crab

bayo

I have a nasty little hitchiker crab that is light brown and hairy. I only can see his legs in the holes in my LR. He does not come out often, but when he does he picks and nipps at the coral hitchikers. I would like to get rid of this nasty guy so that I can start adding corals.

Any suggestions?

hey, give us a break! there are kids present and this is suppose to be a kinder and gentler NR. and btw crak's got a deadline to meet, try that again on wednesday and see what happens.

now if you were to drop that in the middle of chat (on one of the two days a year i'm on that is) and we'll swarm over ya like hermit crabs on a limping chromis. :P

Crabs aren't the brightest of creatures; put a decent-sized chunk of shrimp in a net / on a skewer. Put the food near where he's hiding and slowly lure him out in the open by moving the food away. Then, when he's in the open, whammo! Nab that sucker!

I caught a peppermint shrimp that way the other day for passing on to someone with an aiptasia problem.

coralreefengr

The best way I found to catch stuff is to chase it into a container. Easier said than done, I'll admit, but it has worked. (and I'm not the patient type) The victim always runs away from anything you approach it with, therefore, you approach it with something with exactly that in mind.

Good luck.

Bucket o Chum

You can try to put a piece of shrimp in a glass.Then lean it

against a rock. The crab will smell the food so it will go in.When it

tries to get out it is stuck.

Archived