Pod Your Reef

Red Sea Max -- box opening

aquamac

Here is a photo of the new fans installed. The U shaped fan holders built-in to the hood are visible.

I used velcro to mount them in place; the one on the right has velcro on the bottom side; the fan on the left has velcro on the right side of the fan.

395751818_12ff007a66.jpg

It's a lot quieter now...

Although the locations are different, there is still one fan drawing air from the bulbs and the other from the ballast.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears the new fans and mounting result in additional noise levels that are not much more than the sound of just the return pumps. So that looks good...now the tank is full of water, with the return pumps on, waiting for the water temp to stabilize. Once that occurs I'll turn on the lights and measure the temp increase if any.

Lots of Pictures :D

Be sure to tell us how your skimmer work when you get it hooked up.

Can you share more details of how your going to install your refugium? or Did i miss it?

Tank looks awsome good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
Looking to buy a RSM. Any info on how the tank is going? Any gripes?

Thanks.....

The tank isn't going yet...I've been out of town...but hope to have more updates soon.

Mike Savage

Any update yet? I'm anxious to hear more about how it is working out and how happy you are with it. I hope to order one within two weeks.

Mike

The only other update is that I have received a custom piece of starboard (black) for the tank, as it'll be a bare bottom tank.

I'm very pleased with the tank...no issues there! I've been on a trip to the Caribbean and this is the reason for the delay.

If anyone wants to buy an RSM, I found a source for $629 including stand, and that includes freight...PM me and I'll be happy to forward the details (no affiliation, etc.)

Here is a photo of the starboard. It fits so perfectly that I had to drill a hole, insert a screw, and use it as a hold if I want to remove the starboard.

432547430_576fc457c5.jpg

I also bought a couple of Hydor Koralia circulation pumps which will be strategically placed (so as to be mostly hidden) for good water flow.

bucknellreefer

Just checking, but are you planning on removing the screw once you get things going?

If not, I would highly suggest it because whatever metal it is might leech toxins into the water after its been in there for awhile.

With that said it looks like you are off to a great start, I have thought about going with black starboard for the bottom of my 33g oceanic and I'll be watching with interest to see how it looks after a couple months of coralline and other algae growth.

http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/custom.asp

I ordered with rounded edges on one side only, so the top side is flat, and bottom side has rounded edges to conform to the silicon bead.

Had to trim the front corners to match the radius of the front glass, and the back corners to account for extra silicone in the corners.

Fits so snug, it draws a vacuum when I pull it out. :)

Awaiting on Red Sea cabinet to arrive...as my original plan to locate on a granite center counter did not work out...should be here this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates?

I think I will be buying a RSM and wanted to know if there is a room in the hood to take out the PC lights and replace them with real T5's. The T5's need 23 1/2 inches. So I guess my question is, about how wide is the hood on the inside?

Thanks,

Jon

Any updates?

I think I will be buying a RSM and wanted to know if there is a room in the hood to take out the PC lights and replace them with real T5's. The T5's need 23 1/2 inches. So I guess my question is, about how wide is the hood on the inside?

Thanks,

Jon

I have one and its got T5s.

Thanks. I did know it comes with the dual tube Power Compact T5's. I wanted to install 4 single tube florescent T5's because of the more spectrum options and better light penetration. What I wanted to know is how wide the top is on the inside. (Like when you take off the cover to replace the fans)

I didn't want the added heat or a need for a chiller. I have run 4 24 watt T5's before and they put out less heat than 2 55 watt PC's. Now I'm not sure I will be buying a RSM.

So when they say you need T5's or brighter for this species...... does that mean the RSM is in the clear? I'm confused with the PowerCompact label....

These are T5 diameter bulbs, just in a power compact form factor, I'd bet the power draw/heat would be within 10% of each other (110 watts vs 96 watts.)

I ordered it from http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/, just gave them the inside dimensions. I had them round the bottom side edge to allow room for the silicone bead.

When it arrived I had to adjust the four corners slightly with a dremel (the front corners to allow for the curved glass; the rear corners to allow for extra silicone bead.)

Archived