inTank Media Baskets

Red Sea Max -- box opening

aquamac

ok cool, I am also planning to use black for my BB. It looks like you have a slight warp in your's on the left front corner. What is that?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, your tank looks amazing! BTW did you ever get that refugium set up?

Thanks :) It's just 3 rocks, 2 fish, 2 corals, 3 snails, and 2 macro algae. :)

No, I haven't done a fuge, instead I decided to use macro that would add color to the main tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mike Savage
Here is a photo of the new fans installed. The U shaped fan holders built-in to the hood are visible.

I used velcro to mount them in place; the one on the right has velcro on the bottom side; the fan on the left has velcro on the right side of the fan.

395751818_12ff007a66.jpg

It's a lot quieter now...

Although the locations are different, there is still one fan drawing air from the bulbs and the other from the ballast.

Any update on how the fans are working out to keep the temps down?

How are those Hydor Koralias working out?

Mike

Any update on how the fans are working out to keep the temps down?

How are those Hydor Koralias working out?

Mike

The fans are working great, and fan noise is not noticeable.

I am not using the Koralias...I'm happy with the flow with the stock pumps.

With the three big rocks, I also wasn't able to hide the pumps to my liking.

Mike Savage
Here is a photo of the new fans installed. The U shaped fan holders built-in to the hood are visible.

I used velcro to mount them in place; the one on the right has velcro on the bottom side; the fan on the left has velcro on the right side of the fan.

395751818_12ff007a66.jpg

It's a lot quieter now...

Although the locations are different, there is still one fan drawing air from the bulbs and the other from the ballast.

Do you see any advantage to putting a third fan between these two?

Mike

A third fan wouldn't hurt, especially if all 3 fans were even lower rpm; that way you'd get really good airflow but almost no noise.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a fts of my rsm:

464307895_58aa5ffae1.jpg

Any new pics of the tank aquamac, I am awaiting the arrival of my rsm now. I am curious if you're going to put an anenome for your perc and how well an anenome will do in the rsm.

Keep the pics coming

No plans for anemones...I'll be posting more pics probably tomorrow.

I also picked up a 2nd RSM, and now I have to do another fan change, as this thing is LOUD compared to my first RSM with the lower rpm fans.

Here is a QuickTime movie of my 2nd RSM just set up.

I found the perfect rock, it's about 40 lbs and sits up on a tripod so there is good flow underneath so no crud piles up.

Lots of swimming room, plus plenty of perches for coral placement.

rsmrock.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally rigged up a fuge, and I added a top-off system to my RSM.

I'm not quite done, as I want to put some thin black acrylic inside the filtration area to keep the fuge light from leaking into the tank. That shouldn't be too difficult.

I relocated the heater to the other end (away from the return pumps), and put some egg crate over the old heater area along with some filter floss to catch detritus.

There is a 13 watt 5000k fluorescent fixture affixed via velcro to the underside of the door that covers the filtration area. I have it hooked into a timer running from midnight to 8am.

The top-off uses a 5 gallon aquarium (hidden in the stand) with RO water, using the RSM skimmer pump wired to a float switch. The float switch is siliconed onto a Mag Float; adjusting the magnet makes the float switch pretty easy to fine-tune for the proper level. I set it so the water level gets surface skimming through the overflow.

This photo shows the fuge looking through side glass after removing the power strip:

refuge_side_rsm.jpg

This photo is a top view looking down into the fuge, with the flap up:

refuge_rsm.jpg

And this is a rear tank photo showing the wiring, the mag float, and the top-off tubing:

back_rsm.jpg

I don't have an RSM - nor do I intend on getting one but I got sucked into this thread with the pics on the first page. (Yes I was waiting for pics of the delivery guy) Great Job, a lot of great info in here.

I do have a question about your fuge.... What is the lighting you are using?

Can you post a link or brand so that I can check it out?

aquamac - nice job on the fuge, that took some thought.

1. Am I missing something or is there no skimmer in there? The side view shows your heater in the first chamber and your fuge in the third clearly visible, the skimmer housing would impede that view, that's why I ask.

2. Were you having issues with evaportation? I can leave the tank for a month and barely see a drop in water level. I can't imagine an added cooling fan would evap that much water? Or does it?

3. When I go to open the small lid on the RSM top (skimmer lid) I always have condensation water droplets built up on there so when I open it those water droplets run down the back of the aquarium. Do you ever have this? Thought it might have been a problem for your wiring....

Keep us up to date on how your whole system works out....

No, no skimmer. I don't run the skimmer in my other RSM, either. Just regular water changes.

I don't have a lot of evap, but I recently tore down a 90 gallon and had the float switch and other stuff already laying around, so I just put them to use.

There is always a little condensation, I'll keep an eye on things. If the 13 watt light is not enough I might have to spring for a commercially available fuge light. ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived