Top Shelf Aquatics

Any nano macro algae tanks?

Candi_MI

Did a quick search but didn't see any photos. With all the interesting/colorful macros out there I was thinking of setting up a small (3-5g) macro tank... maybe a few sexy shrimp.

Has anyone done this? Any photos you could share? Figure pending my lighting I'd be doing lots of pruning, but as a stay at home mom that won't be an issue.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

you are in luck.

heres my 2.5g (5g system),turned 23g long(48g system) macro tank.

time lapsed.

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_7452.jpg

IMG_9508_2.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

and heres where it got out of controlIMG_8509.jpg

IMG_8508.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

IMG_8517.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

and here it is after the transfer to the new system

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

i've posted hundreds of pic's of these systems here on nano reefs.

search caulerpa (or formerly icyuodd/icyoud2 for that matter), and you'll find alot more. :)

icy,

not to panic you or anything but i think you have a slight algae problem.

candi,

ann had a sargassum centerpiece for her 2.5g tank in the pico contest. very nice! ann did a great job of presenting the sargum to look like it was huge. i've seen red macro-dominant tanks for seahorses that looked stunning.

i think the key is to pick a particular type of macro and design/arrange it with the aquascaping for an overall presentation. orderly or designed growth can make the look imo.

then there's the icy-school of thought, of course. :lol:

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i gave up on orderly a couple days after i introduced caulerpa to the system :)

in my defense, the horses love it. :) (and it does trap food and allow the hoses, pipes to eat at there own pace.)

i'm just bustin' your horn, icy. actually, i was thinking of your system (overgrown caulerpa racemosa one) when i was replying to travisurfer on RC recently.

he was asking about new nano/tank concepts and i thought of a pseudo-jungle canopy setup where the main area was shaded (by the macroalgae). just a different type of tank setup for a different type of biotope. kinda like the kelp forest of cali or sargassum biotopes of the atlantic, where the algae is the medium or main habitat for the livestock.

i was thinking of shrimp or pods as the dominant lifeforms in such a setup but maybe some shy fish underneath. i really hadn't worked out all the steps but it really wasn't something i planned on doing anyways. probably wouldn't need rock and maybe just some sand. not really a reef setup but more a open water and algae bed setup.

just something different but the idea came partly from your caulerpa explosion pic. :lol:

There's a predominantly algae & shrimp tank under the thread title Singapore Green Tank. However, I'm too lazy to do the search just now. :P

yeah, that's duncan's tank. very nice aquascaping in that tank! B)

the caulerpa (or whatever he has in there, i think it's a local variety-singapore?) is ancillary to the rockscape. i love his arrangement, very natural imo.

I have some misc. pictures of SW planted tanks.. although some of them arent nano's I thought I would post them all for some insperation:

Unknown size

4d7g13n.jpg

20g.

2z4h1k7.jpg

Unknown:

3z8ztwx.jpg

30g. (if memory serves corectly.. I could be wrong)

2ibcjue.jpg

I think 26g BWFRNT:

2rnvcbk.jpg

2ex51ty.jpg

Unknown:

44aln6h.jpg

4361yjm.jpg

Duncan's 20g:

3yd5yx1.jpg

I think 20g. ... Florida Biotope:

3zbcqkk.jpg

20 Long:

2igm0w2.jpg

50g.:

40ndrvk.jpg

Unknown:

hmm, i didn't even realize duncan had another tank (the one you linked, fish). i just read that thread, his "zen tank". he even raked the sand, too funny. :lol:

but i was actually talking about his "green tank" and its aquascaping.

DSCN7585.jpg

i especially thought the tiny easter island tiki head was a nice touch. :P

Archived