Cultivated Reef

My 1 Gallon Nano

16yearoldreefer

I agree Gaber, I don't think the issue has been addressed properly for 16. I apologize, Brondon tends to expose the worst of me.

The fish issue is a problem with the small tank. I have a 2.5 and the only reason I have a fish in there (yellow damsel) is that my wife begged me for it. In my better judgement I would not have a fish in any thing less than a 6, and then only one. My 10 only has one fish, and I sometimes feel thats too small. The issues aren't only bioload, but the shear inhumane conditions. I like the analogy someone used, it's like getting a St. Bernanrd and locking him in a closet...PERMANENTLY! Not very nice...and if fish were dogs alot of aquarium keepers would be locked up by the SPCA, for cruelty to animals. Remember these critters have come from the ocean...it's big! (just in case you didn't know!) I have heard arguements from people that clowns and many other fish are territorial and they stay within a couple inches of their host or lair all the time which equals a few gallons. The problem is that in the ocean they aren't restricted, the water is fresh constantly, and the water movement is great. MUCH better conditions than a 2 gallon tank can provide.

Unfortunately, many of us consider fish to be free of those stressors that "furry" animals exhibit. That it is okay to shove a 3 foot bamboo shark in a 55 gallon tank, or a clown in a 2 gallon. We all know that's wrong but we continue to do it...why? For our own satisfaction! Think twice before you try things like this. Remember they are always recommending legislature in Congress to limit imports of wildlife because of endangerment. And if you haven't noticed many of our reefs are becoming endangered. If we are responsible  in this hobby we can defend what we do, but if we are in it and have total disregard for the wildlife, soon we will be down to purely captive bred species. Be responsible!

Now that I have finished that statement, I have determined that the damsel has to go back to the store! No fish in my 2.5......see, I even convinced myself! ;)

(Edited by fish04 at 8:05 am on Mar. 8, 2002)

Brandon I'm confussed! You say that this is your favorit site;However your anger & threats take away from it!(you not the only one with responcibility in this) Looking at your design it is obvious that you're intelligent. You have to know that threats will get you band. I have no ill will toward you & it makes me sadd to see some one loss control like your last post. You have knowledge of systems that one thing has interplay with another. So use it with communication. Communication is a two way street. Not only do you have to take in acount the way you fill & relate to things you also have to consider others. It is  plain to see that age insults (or any insults ) offend people. You taking liberties that you have earn yet. I can insult may fiends injest because I know them WELL!!! I know how for to go to be funny & when to stop(most of the time). You don't have that kind of feed back here. I agree with you that you had toned it down. Now it is turned up higher than ever. Was that what you were trying to do? I would also admit that computer are some time way over my head. I don't doubt that if you wanted to you could get to my computer & fry it if you don't like what I type. What does that kind of environment do for  free infromation exchange. I hope you don't get band. It would make me very happy if you could learn from this &  add wisdom to your intelligence.

i dont understand how someone could ruin your system from the internet..... the worst you could do is mess up my file system then I format and reload?  even if you could somehow burn my Bios a new MB aint nothin to put in.

Toy

I do not understand any of this. Tracking the IP address? How is this conversation coming from? Why do you have to even mention or do things like that to people who just come here to discuss about nano reefs. Some attitudes here haven't been appropriated and not appreciated by many of us. Some certainly do need to go to Anger Management classes. I tell you... this site is to encourage people including youngsters/fishkidz to get into this hobby. Sometimes it might be helpful to give them some tip to guide them to the right directions, but no swearing words needed. I also want to mention about the fact that people can see things differently on certain things. It is like some love using Seachem, but some prefer Kent. Or Some like using a skimmer, but some totally against using it in the reef tanks. The person itself would make a decision and if it does not work out with them then they would learn. But if someone does not do the way you want them to do it, you should not get so upset, it is their choices. IF they make mistakes by it, again they will learn. We all deal with precious living things/animals through this hobby, so we really have to be caring. So if you want to care about things in the reef, you should care about another reefers too, not hurting them like that. I could not say well.. but I would like you to think about what you are saying, and how you would feel if someone says that back to you.

Quote: from kitamichan on 10:33 am on Mar. 10, 2002[br]I do not understand any of this. Tracking the IP address? How is this conversation coming from? Why do you have to even mention or do things like that to people who just come here to discuss about nano reefs.

kitamichan,

I agree that many statements made here were way out of hand, but I wanted to address the issue above.

We recently had some people on this board that in fact did not come here to "get advice or feedback", but rather wanted to disrupt this board. This has created some distrust as to what posts are real and what posts are just meant to get us riled up.

I personally feel that this post here, has a big potential to be a hoax and related to a thread that got some people on here very angry. The post I am referring to was from a couple of weeks ago and you may not be aware of it since you just recently joined this online group.

I just wanted to explain that, since without having this background information, it must seem like we are just a bunch of crazy people ripping little kids apart.

Nevertheless, even if it is a hoax, of course it is not appropriate to get this out of hand...

(Edited by Carrie at 10:51 am on Mar. 10, 2002)

Then you might need to learn how to control the anger. If they are being foolish, they are being foolish. I think our job is to respond to their questions whether or not you believe that the person is being just annoying. If we start fighting back, it looks so ugly, and it would scare the newbies away. There are some stupid questions that newbies or new comer might ask. But they are not actually stupid questions, they might be serious about questions. I do not know how you determine what is serious and what is not, but yet we should still stay calm and reposnd to their questions. i have asked a lot of questions that some might have thought I was stupid, I was very serious asking about it, and Some have really insutled me for asking. This really discourage newbies. It is how I feel. I also wanted to respond to Carrie. I am not really new here even I might not post so often. I personal think that talking to people who annoy you with the way they do, then you would be annoying after all :)

One more thing... if you do not believe someone's opinions... then it is always good to double check with some trusted members such as Chris- Marks (the owner of this site), or Mermaid123 (the person who gave a lot of information for database for this site.) It is what I usually do. It is good to ask people here, but it is always goos to ask for 3rd opinions. :)

16yearoldreefer

I took your advice about the purple chromis, so i took him out of my tank and put him in my parents' big tank, but, i was thinking about what one of you said, that the fish isn't happy in such a small area, because his natural home was trillions of gallons...

But wether its a 1 gallon, or a 200 gallon, they are both still very very very small compared to the ocean.

So i think when we buy fish that were captured (and most are), we are all being inhumane.

Thats why i am going to become a Marine Biologist, and study fish, and maybe i will find ways to breed marine fish in captivity.

16 year old, your logic is way off. Think about a clown fish for example, in the wild they have about a 5 foot squared area that they live in their whole lives. That is less than 200 gallons. The point is, nothing will be able to hide, move around and properly scavage for food in a one gallon tank. It is also impossible to get the correct amount of water movement in a tank so small. It is not inhumane to keep a fish in captivity (which if you thought it was, why would you want to try to breed them in captivity someday), but it is inhumane to keep a fish in a one gallon tank, like you were. Also, does that mean you are going to upgrade your lighting for your coral?

gaber

Christopher Marks

Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with this thread because I didn't care to read what I figured was happening.  It seems like everyone has cooled down a bit, but we've lost some of our members over this whole mess.  As long as no more harsh or flamitory posts are made I will leave this thread open.  Please keep in mind what we discussed in this thread.

16 yr old! Let me explain. If someone lives in a big house and move to the small apartment, they might feel uncomfortable living there, but it is not that they die. They might be able to find the way to make the apartment comfortable. It is like a student who used to have a big room, but when they go to the college, they live in the dorms. It might not be as comfortable, but they will make it comfortable. But how about if the person has to live in the closet, isn't it more than just  "uncomfortable"? Does it make sense to you? It does to me.

• 2 weeks later...

i just want to clarify 1 simple thing, somebody use the phrase" if you recall his home that he came from was a hell of a lot bigger than 1 gallon" so if your gonna use this a defense. then you shouldnt keep reefs. because you cant compare a 1, 20, 40, 90, 120, 5000 gallon reef tank to the ocean. but 1 fish on a 1 gallon? ive'd seen 1 fish in a 3/4 gallon.. WHY NOT!

"Can't we all just get along?"  

Not having much experience in keeping a Nano has kept me from having put any input into this thread at all.  However, if someone can maintain a 1 gallon or less nano-reef and keep it stable, they are brilliant.  I've seen the pictures and everything seems to be healthy in Brandon's jar, flask, bong, vase or whatever you want to call it so lay off.  

I'm the guy that's worried about keeping one falsie in a 7.5g and him being happy with his space and habitat.  I see it being done by many of the ppl on here but it still kinda worries me.  When I finally get everything set up and cycled I will add my falsie but it's going to be my baby and I will check the params at least 1 million times a day until I'm confortable.  My LFS is not very supportive of the fish in the nano but they said I can keep almost as many inverts as I can fit in the tank.  They are curious to see what happens with my tank once I get it set up.  They have an Eclipse 6 and it has all kinds of polyps, shrooms, a coral banded shrimp, and all the various hermits and astreas that make life go round.  It has been running for nearly two years and they are still very frightened to put any type of fish in there.  I hope I can personally help them with the livestock situation in that tank as they have been so helpful to me with all my others creatures including my fw fish, ferret, and my two pups (Dachshund and a Beagle).  K, tyme for me to stop ramblin. ;)

Krusty the Clown

You are all missing the point... The only "stupid question" is the one that goes unasked.  Try and be helpful and stop the bickering!

(Edited by Krusty the Clown at 9:58 am on Mar. 27, 2002)

Mad Evil, don't tell my logic is faulty. One gallon is different than 5000 like you said. Don't make such rediculous generalizations and try to simplify this issue. Lets just take a common clown for example. They live in 5 square feet in the wild. So lets use the facts. One gallon is not 5 feet squared, and 10 gallons is not either, but it is 10 times as big as the 1 gallon. More humane if you ask me. And furthermore, the 5000 gallon tank is just slightly over 5 feet squared. Just a little. Don't make those type of comments here. And I haven't looked at this thread for a long time, but I saw that Brandon took a shot at me a while back. Really nice, spend less time talking about how old and mature you are and making college chat board analogies and then start acting like you are changing the subject to a fish topic. Ahh, just lock this thing Chris. AH come on, you guys weren't even helping this kid. Telling him that he could keep the one fish in a one gallon, but "probably shouldn't try two" isn't help. And telling him that sunlight for his corals is ok. (Guess I could have saved a lot of money on my new tank) Especially since that sunlight has been passed through a UV blocking window, come on guys...

gaber

this thread is still going!!?

some topics just go haywire here at nano-reef, i try to not be part of these disputes, they never go anywhere.

Archived