Coral Vue Hydros

My 1 Gallon Nano

16yearoldreefer

16yearoldreefer

Sorry i have no pics yet (My digi-cam isnt working)

But i do have some specs:

Equipment

-1 gallon acrylic aquarium

-50 Watt heater

-Unknown brand water pump

-Natural Lighting

-1 Pound of a crushed coral/shells mixture

Livestock

-2 Pounds live rock

-small colony of about 20 green button polyps

-1 red mushroom anenome

-1 purple chromis

Details:

The aquarium i got in a kit for $15, which came with the heater included. For circulation, i found an old decorative fountain at the thrift store with a pump that has adjustable flow, so i took the pump out and put it in the aquarium. Its working quite nicley and i havent had any problems yet.

For lighting, i looked around and i couldnt afford even the cheapest kits, but my room is very well lighted (with natural sunlight) and i put the aquarium next to a window, and it has been working just fine. And for substrate, i am using a simple mixture of crushed coral and crushed shells.

Next, the live rock. I got it for $4.00 a pound, and it is very nice and colorful, and came with a weird little pink anenome, a yellow furry thing (probably a sponge), a couple snails, and 2 little crabs.

For corals, all i have is a small colony of button polyps that i got for only $5, and i red mushroom anenome that was $3. When i first got the mushroom, it was only about half an inch wide, but now it has grown to allmost 2 inches! and its only been about 1 month, i am hoping that it will form into a colony.

And i only have 1 fish. He's kinda boring, since he mostly hides during the day, and only comes out at night. I am thinking about making a sump, and putting macro algea in it, then i could put more fish in the aquarium// maybe a clown.

Finnaly, for maintenence, i just change about 20% of the water every week and add a little bit every day to account for evapporation.

Please post your comments or what you think!!

beetlejuice

NO YOU CANT PUT ANOTHER FISH IN THERE.  YOU CANT EVEN HAVE ONE FISH IN THERE.  CRUSHED CORAL EQUALS NITRATE FACTORY.  NATURAL SUNLIGHT EQUALS ALGAE FACTORY.  WHAT ARE YOU THINKING???

This is obviously a hoax and not worth getting worked up about.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brandon signed up under that handle "16yearoldnanoreefer" just to #### us off...

;)

Edited on 9-4-02. Can't believe I let you guys suck me into some serious arguments. Come to think of it I was relatively offensive at times--man how much can change in six months.

:)

Okeydokey, I believe it's not you- but you do see where this sounds very much like this is related to your first post, don't you? :)

16yearoldreefer

yikes, you guys are harsh.

Anyway, its been going good for a little over a month now, and i think it will do good.... The 1 fish is healthy, and the corals are growing like crazy...

And i didn't just jump into this uninformed, my parents have a 55 gallon reef aquarium in the living room thats doing very nicley.

16 year old... I don't understand how you can say getting appropriate lighting is out of the question because of the price??? Get a freaken 13 watt retro fit for 15 bucks. Why not? That is only a week of lunch money! Also, you should really get rid of that fish. Sure you CAN keep the fish alive in there, but if you recall his home that he came from was a hell of a lot bigger than 1 gallon, try a billion gallons. Point is, one chromis is out of the hand, adding another false perc. would not only be stupid because of the bio-load, but it would be mondo inhumane, I believe Val said it best, would you keep a St. Bernard in a closest? There is no difference. Take that fish back to the store and with the money you paid for him, 15 DOLLARS! GET SOME LIGHTS! One month of "success" is not that,  

gaber

16yearoldreefer

I may not be an expert on nano-reefs, but i do know how bulletin board systems work... This is an Ikonboard, which allows the administrater (Chris) to set different levels.

Example: once you reach a certain ammount of posts, lets say 300. then you get another star..

Then, when you reach 600 posts, or whatever, you get another star. and it keeps going on from there

Its every 50 posts and we weren't flamming him brandon. We were flamming you, and that was because you opened your mouth. Since then I have heard you "explain yourself" and what kind of a person you are, in just about every post. How long have you been keeping saltwater tanks 16? Is this your first? What about that 13 watt PC? How long has that tank been up? To keep a 1 gallon you should have a whole lot of knowledge. I know Val kept a tank similar to yours and she was doing water changes every day at about 100%. She left that fish store and the new employees tried to keep it up but it crashed very soon after... Why not get a bigger tank???

gaber

Against my better judgement, and my previous recommendation to ignore you, I am going to again reply to you.

I could care less what you spend your money on so I really don't have a problem with your idea of the bowl reef (I think your idea is foolish but that's another thread), it is just your blatant "expertise" in the hobby. This being your first tank, or bowl, does not give you any right to expect the respect your arrogant comments are asking for. I do understand your experience in planted tanks and, yea for you! However, don't automaticly expect that the same principles apply to reefs.

As far as your star inquiry... you want more stars so people will listen to you!?!?! What an arrogant ass! I was hoping your original post where you insulted nearly everyone including the host was a joke and you would wise up. But I guess that was foolish of me.. It would be great if stars were given for quality and not quantity, however, that's not the case. Maybe if you keep filling up threads with your challenges and self-defense explainations you can have all the posts you need for the stars you want.

I, as well as nearly everyone else here, do not profess to be experts in any way, we offer opinions and experiences, not arrogant disertations. I am getting tired of your posts which have become somewhat tiresome in the effect of telling people what is wrong or right. If you notice most people here give good advice. They very rarely tell people things WON'T work. Your posts have nearly all been challenges to prove you wrong, or insistive that your way is THE way.

I am not going to fall into your trap and get into a ####ing match with you, but I will tell you that you need to drop the attitude or move on. This defending your self crap has got to go. I, as well as others I am sure, are tired of hearing your challenges and self-imposed expertise.

I hope your bowl does well, I really do. But take it down a notch eh? Give thoughtful advice, give opinions, but don't proclaim yourself all powerful knowing reefer, when this is your first experience.

I commend you for taking the time to make sure all your water parameters are correct, and checking and rechecking, that's great! But keep in mind that the people who are cringing at the fact that you are trying this are only trying to help. Many of us in this group have been doing this for years. We are only trying to help, not challenge you. We have seen how easily things can go awry in a reef system for no particular reason...it's not the same as a planted tank! If things go wrong in a planted tank you have time to correct them. You may lose a few things but rarely the whole tank. If they go wrong in a reef it could take everything in the reef in a matter of a few hours.

That's it! Hopefully my last post regarding your arrogance. I am willing to drop the whole issue if you can play nice, but if you can't LEAVE! My request to everyone is to ignore this guy if he doesn't change his attitude, there is no room or time for this crap here.

(Edited by fish04 at 2:31 pm on Mar. 7, 2002)

I just wanted to type what I have felt on the first few posts for this message. Beginners for nano reef tanks come here, and it did not sound like some of you were welcoming the new members. This 16 yr old came in to ask questions, and to get the feedback, and the attitude that some of you had were not appropriate. If there is no place to learn, how can he learn? Instead of saying "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?" there should be an another way to lead this new member to sucess. I will get you guys the words back "what are you thinking to be so mean to the newbie?" 16 yr old new member was not inmature, he just needed right information!!! And are you mature enough to talk like that? :) Come on!! WE can do better than that to treat newbies :)

Hey Brandon humor me what are these biological principles you've been throwing about in your posts. I assume they are the same ones the water babies creators are touting.

And while we are at it why is it so different today then "when all of you were in pull ups". Explain to me why it's easier today to keep a closed sytem reef as opposed to 10 years ago. Closed system is closed system 10 years ago or not.  

You are so degrading I can't even stand it.....when we were all in pull ups. What an ass!

I really think that the problem was how we answer the first question. I think we could have answered them nicer and explain why certain things that 16 yr old newbie is doing instead of making those judgements. Now he does not feel relaxed and want to fight back. Obviously anemone and fish in 1 gallons tank is not appropriate, but hey.. I will let him check Val's 1 gallon pic :)http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/VAL_740/lst?.di...rc=ph%26.view=t

Anyway...  1 gallon is nice, but you cannot put much stuff and would have some limits. But if you still want to do it, you could. But I just want to let you know people might sounds hursh, but they might be caring about reef tanks so much :) ok? :) no fight at nano reef :)

I just want to clarify with 16yr old.....this has nothing to do with you. I really don't have a problem with a small reef, I mean I do have a 2.5. That's tough enough trust me. I really don't have a problem with a 3/4 galon reef, or if you want to keep one in a soup bowl for that matter, but some of this crap Brandon is shoveling is wayyyyy out of hand. Its gone beyond conjecture and friendly assitance, it's just plain OBNOXIOUS.

I apologize to you 16yrold you didn't deserve to get in the middle of all of this. I wish you good luck on your tank!

Common though, it is one thing to offer advice, but anyone who thinks they can keep 2 fish in a 1 gallon tank obviously hasn't done any previous research and if they did, that is about the most selective listening there is. If you follow the .5" per 5 gallon rule, you could techincally only keep a fish that was 1/10th of an inch, oscellaris larvae is about that lenght, maybe you could do that?!?!?!? My point is, if he has what he has there is one of two reasons. He doesn't listen to directions/advice/help/etc. or He hasn't looked for any, so it isn't rude to ask what the heck he is doing. Nothing else is working? Fish04, im with you ;-)

gaber

Archived