inTank Media Baskets

Pics of my newly set-up nano reef

Mr Fixit

One of my web host is temporarily down.  >:E  

I'll give it another day or two before I switch the pics over to my other host.    

Quote: from SD619 on 2:05 am on Mar. 26, 2002[br]Mr. Fixit,

Could you please post a DIY thread on your canopy assembly and setup with the lights?  I think you've inspired a lot of people on these boards (including myself) to start a 20L of their own.  Thanks.

Hey SD, glad you like the tank.  In regards to the canopy, it's quite simple actually...    

To start with I measured the lenght and width of the tank, added an extra inch to each side so the canopy would cover the tank's top plastic moldings.  (ie.  lenght was 32 inches, I had the wood cut at ~ 34 inches, width was ~ 13", had the wood cut at 14" ).  

After all the measurements were done I payed a visit to my local lumber/hardware store.  I had the wood cut at the store (5 pieces altogether: 2 side pieces, 1 front piece, 1 top piece, and 1 cover piece).  I settled with birch cause it was rather cheap.  The whole canopy cost roughly $30 including paint.

The lights were not custom ones.  I had a 24" 20watt single strip fluorescent lying around so I used that for the actinic.  The 30" PowerCompact hood was purchased for around $150cdn with reflective surfaces on the inside, came with a 55watt 10,000k bulb as well.  If I were to order a custom hood, I wouldn't have saved myself that much ordering online since it would have to come from the US.  With the exchange rate it wasn't really worth it.  I tried to be as simple as possible with the lights.

When I have time I'll take a few pics of the hood.

(Edited by Mr Fixit at 5:58 am on Mar. 27, 2002)

Thanks for the canopy instructions, Fixit.  Are the corners of the canopy cut at a 45 degree angle, or are they just straight?  I like the idea of using braces.  Last time I built a canopy we secured the corners with screws, which was a pain!  Are you leaving the top completely open?  Also, did you use any type of sealant on the inside to protect from the saltwater?

Thanks again!

Mr Fixit,

Just wanted to thank you for the pictures of the DYI hood.  I have been motivated by them to make my own, and the pix were a big help

Thanks

Brad

Quote: from Kapelakin on 12:40 pm on Mar. 27, 2002[br]Thanks for the canopy instructions, Fixit.  Are the corners of the canopy cut at a 45 degree angle, or are they just straight?  I like the idea of using braces.  Last time I built a canopy we secured the corners with screws, which was a pain!  Are you leaving the top completely open?  Also, did you use any type of sealant on the inside to protect from the saltwater?

Thanks again!

The corners are straight edged, didn't want to be too fancy.  >;p  There is a cover for the canopy, just a piece of cut-out wood that I can take off any time.  I usually leave a 1 inch gap on the top to keep things cool.  The only sealant I used on the inside is a couple coats of white primer from a spray can to keep the metal hinges from rusting.  It is really easy to build I tell ya.  >:D

simple, but clean plan for the hood.

i love the tank, im so jealous. its flawless. rock layout is beautiful and the corals are great, i like the green pagoda too!!

sooner or later ill probably have to get a 20L, yours is the best out there! and the 10 specimins in my 5 gallon will soon outgrow everything (fish store and $ dont go good together for me).

Mini Update

I had to take some photos of the cup and pagoda cause they were totally reaching for the sky, fully stretching out their tissues..!  >:D

pagoda4.jpg

cupcoral3.jpg

The pulsing xenia is getting ready to split so it's propagating well.  The hammer is almost twice the size compared to 2 weeks ago and the donut is out of control huge.  >:D

center2.jpg

center.jpg

The shrimps no longer associate themselves with the word 'shy'.  They come right up to my hand everytime I try to do something in the tank.  >:E

(Edited by Mr Fixit at 2:34 am on Mar. 28, 2002)

Those pics are outstanding!  Are you sure you didnt' enhance the colors in Photoshop?  Just kidding.  Thanks, I put up the bottom shot as my computer wallpaper to keep me motivated to get my canopy built and get my tank cycling.

Archived