Top Shelf Aquatics

New Red Sea Max

SecondBreath

What info do you need that isn't in the other thread? Let me know and I'll be happy to help.

With regards to warranty, I'm not sure if warranty is affected, but if the hood stopped working, I suppose I could put the old fans back in there before getting warranty service.

Red Sea emailed me saying that they were following the thread but they didn't say anything about voiding warranty.

Shoot.. can't find it. Do you have a link to it. I'll read through it.

Basically you were going for a quiter solution with more cooling right? How are the new fans holding up?

Thanks....

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SecondBreath

I thought I mentioned this in an earlier post, but perhaps I neglected to...

As Aquamac mentioned, Red Sea's Marketing and Developement teams have been in contact with some of us in response to these threads. Pretty cool proactive support on their part!

In a recent discussion, the Director of Development at Red Sea had the following to say...

"Quieter fans – New units now in production have quieter fans. We will probably be making the quieter fans available for any one capable of opening the hood and doing the upgrade themselves.

The new fans are quieter as they run at a lower rpm which reduces the fan noise by half. Originally we were concerned about the heating of the hood and chose the highest air flow (rpm) fans. After further testing we concluded that the lower air flow (rpm) fans did not significantly reduce the cooling effect and was therefore a feasible and desirable alternative."

I beleive this answers your questions. You should contact them for quieter fans and doing it yourslef does not void the warranty.

Good Luck!

There is some very good information in this thread. Good to know about the replacement fans being available and the change in packaging them in new ones going out.

I am looking to purchase a Red Sea Max here in the very near future. I live in Austin, TX and have had a hard time finding any LFS that carry them. I finally found a LFS who stocks it and got to see one today. It was on display, but did not have water in it. It really is very impressive looking. Clean, high tech and good looking design. I really like the look of it compared to the other AIO's out there. I think the cabinet looks better than others AIO cabinets and the height is good for viewing both standing and sitting. Some of the others seem so short in comparison. I was glad to finally see one, but really wish it had been setup and running to see how it looked and hear the amount of noise it makes.

That being said I have a couple of questions that I hope some owners out there can answer.

1. I noticed a fan grill at the back of the unit, but no fan was there. RSM indicates on their web site that there will be a additional fan kit made available soon. I presume for this location. What exactly will that fan help cool?

2. In the FAQ on the RSM page it talks about a build up on the top of your water and the cause of this being that the water level is to high for the rear overflow to work properly. They suggest lowering the water level below the black rim so that it skims better. I am really hoping that I can keep the water at a level so that the water line is not seen from the front. I think it just looks so much better that way. Is this the case and are there ways around it?

3. Do the moon lights go on automatically when the 10K/Actinic go off? Can someone post a picture of the aquarium with just the moonlights on?

Thanks for all the good information as I will continue to read up on the RSM until I purchase it.

Clayton

I'm in Austin, too, which store has one on display?

I tried to get a price from two local stores, but neither seemed interested in selling me one.

The guy selling them for $629 is a mail order only store in Austin, btw. EDIT: looks like he upped the price to $649. link

I agree with your comments about the look and the stand. There is a lot of room in there. :)

To answer your other questions, the fan port at the back will bring in cool air, and probably work for evaporative cooling.

Water level: it needs to be above the rim...not sure how I will address that yet, as I'm just now finally setting up my tank, salt is mixing in the tank as I type. I was not able to find a good solution when I ran a leak test and temp tests a few weeks ago.

Moonlights: the timer switch in the hood determines moonlighting. ON = lights on, moonlights off; OFF = lights off, moonlights on; Clock symbol = automatically changes between the ON and OFF settings according to the preset of the timer.

The hood switch (next to the timer) turns off the moonlights in the event that you do not want them on automatically when the daylights are off.

There is also the 'master' light switch on the lower right rear of the tank. This is where the skimmer, heater, pump 1, and pump 2 switches are located as well.

One of the best things about this tank compared to the Biocube is only one power cord out the back, and the built in timer. No cord clutter!

In a recent discussion, the Director of Development at Red Sea had the following to say...

"Quieter fans – New units now in production have quieter fans. We will probably be making the quieter fans available for any one capable of opening the hood and doing the upgrade themselves.

The new fans are quieter as they run at a lower rpm which reduces the fan noise by half. Originally we were concerned about the heating of the hood and chose the highest air flow (rpm) fans. After further testing we concluded that the lower air flow (rpm) fans did not significantly reduce the cooling effect and was therefore a feasible and desirable alternative."

Hmm...I'm surprised they didn't take a day or two to do those kinds of tests early on during development.

I guess my lower speed fan install thread was of value to them, heh. ;)

Nice gesture to provide the new fans, although, part of the noise has to do not with fan rpm, but with how tight the fans fit into the slots in the hood; they create a bit of resonance.

Aquamac,

There is a fish store in South Austin off Manchaca called Aqua Dome. They have the RSM tank and cabinet on display in their store. It does not have water in it, but at least I was able to compare it side by side to a BioCube, also not running. It was much more impressive looking. I think I like the height factor as it looked good both standing up and sitting. I could not really see into the BioCube that well when I was standing, had to lean over to see in. They sell the tank and stand at Aqua Dome for $649.95. He would sell the one off the floor or it would be a few days to a week to get one in brand new in box.

I do know the one for $629 is mail order only. Which is fine since it ships from the Red Sea Max offices so it should have all the fixes (skimmer, pump screws, maybe quieter fans).

Where did you get yours from? Have you posted any pictures of it? Keep me updated.

Clayton

Hi Clayton,

here is a pic from my MAX.

Have some cables hanging on the right side. Normally you don't see them as they all go in a compartment but I am working on the tank and just to lazy to put them back in for now.

If you need any infos on the tank just let me know

Michael

R6.jpg

2. In the FAQ on the RSM page it talks about a build up on the top of your water and the cause of this being that the water level is to high for the rear overflow to work properly. They suggest lowering the water level below the black rim so that it skims better. I am really hoping that I can keep the water at a level so that the water line is not seen from the front. I think it just looks so much better that way. Is this the case and are there ways around it?

I was able to get the water level right at the level of black rim and still get surface skimming, it required adjusting the plate in front of the overflow.

Thanks for the pic Maxreefer. The tank looks great. Is that with just the moonlights on? If so they are really bright. If not I am still looking for a picture with just the moonlights on.

Clayton

Thanks for the pic Maxreefer. The tank looks great. Is that with just the moonlights on? If so they are really bright. If not I am still looking for a picture with just the moonlights on.

Clayton

I can shoot a pic with moonlights, if my camera can handle it.

Got rock and water in the tank today...

SecondBreath

About time Aquamac! =)

I just added Bird's Nest frag and a rather large peice of red cap Monti sps to my tank.

Really excited and will try to post pics later today.

Clayton

Hi Clayton,

will shoot a pic with the moonlights later on tonight and post it

Michael

So I've been running the new lighting for a couple of days and now and my livestock are reposinding great so far.

Thanks for the write-ups SB. They have caused me to spend the $'s for a new RSM. I'm picking it up tomorrow! :D

With regards to the lights: Your pictures makes it look like it was brighter with the stock lights. But the new lights makes it look more contrasty - could be the camera I suppose. How do you like it? Do you like the MH's much better? The stock also seems to give a more even glow across the whole tank. But pictures are often deceiving.

Also: Since I am going to buy it tomorrow: What do you suggest I might as well pick up from the LFS at the same time? Power head? Anything else?

They don't have the starter kit in stock the place I am going here in Norway. Would you suggest live sand or a bag of the same substrate that is included in the kit?

Summers are pretty cool here so I assume I will not have a heating problem as ambient temp in my house is around 22 celcius (71 F) and won't go much higher in the 'heat' of the summer.

SecondBreath

Congrats on the new tank!

With reagrds to the new lighting, the MH is in fact much brighter and the contrast between the shaded areas and those that are brightly lit is now much greater than before.

However, the stock lighitng did light up a wider area of the tank as the MH tends to spotlight being so close to the surface of the water... this if anything, is the MH's weak point as you hear may a person point out.

That being said though, the picture doesn't do the MH lighting justice. The shimmer lines and the rays of light sparkiling in the water are hard to describe and the shaded areas now allow for more of a mxture of low-light and intense light-needing corals. =)

MH is my favorite lighting. I have it on my other two tanks, using pendants.

That being said, the T5s are perfect for my RSM tank, as I don't intend to put in any corals that need serious light.

My MH pendants hang 8" above one tank and 12" above the other. In the RSM the bulb is much closer to the water surface, so I'm not surprised there would be more concentrated coverage.

Having a 150watt that close to the water is probably equivalent intensity (or very close) to a 250 watt 8" above the surface, maybe more.

SecondBreath

Agreed: the stock lighitng is more than sufficient for most livestock I just really, really wanted sps and those shimmer lines! =)

You made a good point about the intensity of the light though.

I'm playing with my new monti frag as far as placement goes and I can either put it at the bottom with plenty of light and room or I can put it on the top of my reef.

What would you suggest; bottom or top?

I don't profess to be any kind of expert...but I would think you'd be ok with it on the bottom, based on the monti's in my tanks.

Agreed: the stock lighitng is more than sufficient for most livestock I just really, really wanted sps and those shimmer lines! =)

You made a good point about the intensity of the light though.

I'm playing with my new monti frag as far as placement goes and I can either put it at the bottom with plenty of light and room or I can put it on the top of my reef.

What would you suggest; bottom or top?

SecondBreath

Thanks, personally I like it at the bottom mor ethan at the top.

If you did profess to be an expert I'd ignore you. =)

SecondBreath

Bright Red Cap Monti.

I'll post some more pics later tonight of the new coral and the tank's various inhabitants.

Thanks for the replies - I appreciate it! :)

The MH hood is not available here in Norway. May I ask how much you paid for it at nanocustomers? I can't seem to find it there. Hopefully they'll ship to Norway! :o

SecondBreath

Trollman,

The MH mod was a very early mod from nanotuners and I beleive they still haven't officially luanched it yet. You may want to write to them and see if it's avalaible yet.

As mine was the first and prior to it's official luanch, I'd rather not say what I paid as I'm sure the lunach price with vary to some degree.

I'd say you could estimate what the price would be based on the other and similar mods listed on their site though....

Thanks SB for reply again.

I understand that there is no point in revealing a price that may not be accurate.

I will write them though and ask like you suggested. There is no rush really. I just received the tank today (hurray!) :) and so I will be happy with the stock lighting for a while longer.

I bought 40 lb live sand (Carib Sea Fiji Pink). I hope this will be enough for now. I'm producing RO water as I type and it will take a full 24 hours to get enough. After that I will mix in the salt and let it sit a day or two before adding the Live Sand (it came in selaed bags (how could it be "live" then...)) Oh well - I have full faith! :D

I did not buy an extra power head either since they were ouot of stock on the Tunze nanoflow. But I'll get it later when I start stocking.

Archived