Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Official "How to Ship Coral" Thread

mvite

I just received a package with a method i had not seen until now.

He cut the Styrofoam on to little squares and poked the frag plug through the hole.

Then put a rubber band around them this allowed the frag to float upside down and hardly ever rub on the bag.

i thought it was genius myself

I have received SPS from folks who rubberband the frag to a small piece of styro so that the weight of the frag always makes it roll like a log to keep the frag under water.

Gots any pics? Maybe even of the size of styro pieces they used? And what kind of frags were they?

i noticed when my lfs gets in a shipment the frogspawn, hammers, ect come with the styrofoam. i also noticed inside the bag they will also put a empty bag inside to help with the coral banging around.kinda like the paper towel idea.

Fishfreak218
i noticed when my lfs gets in a shipment the frogspawn, hammers, ect come with the styrofoam.

yup... one of the LFS's here does that too.. it helps because euphillia [sp?] get damaged easily IME when being moved around

I have received SPS from folks who rubberband the frag to a small piece of styro so that the weight of the frag always makes it roll like a log to keep the frag under water.

Gots any pics? Maybe even of the size of styro pieces they used? And what kind of frags were they?

I kept everything and took pictures from opening to dropping in tank like always so i will post them up.

You da man!!!

ok now to show what i was talking about

here is the box freshly opened with some of the Styrofoam removed.

you can see the frags floating at the top of the bags.

I might also add closer to the heat pack

feb059.jpg

Here you can see the frag plug poking through the Styrofoams and a rubber band to make sure it doesn't fall out.

feb060.jpg

in this example you will notice how the multiple bags all floating at different angles yet the frags floats independently. Of course provided there is enough room for the frag to go end over end and sideways the frag itself should never touch plastic in a resting state.

feb062.jpg

There mvite that should about sum it up for ya :D

yup thats the stuff.

Once some of it grows out i will hook you up the chailce and blasto are just unreal.

Edited by ENraged

Live aquaria ships with the Styrofoam method. I have received xenia from them that I think was pulsing in the bag!

They also double bag with the outside bag being at least half black (or there is a black insert - I don't remember. This helps keep the bags dark which is supposed to be less stressful.

Live aquaria ships with the Styrofoam method. I have received xenia from them that I think was pulsing in the bag!

They also double bag with the outside bag being at least half black (or there is a black insert - I don't remember. This helps keep the bags dark which is supposed to be less stressful.

arent they sealed in box? how much more dark are they going to make it lol.

they do have strong shipping though dont get me wrong

Ive seen the styro method work really well on LPS...

Most of the times the black bags are used for fisheesss...it keeps them calm...and is nice during acclimation.

Izzue

Ok. Here is my 0.02.

1. Uline boxes b/c I hate the post office boxes

1.jpg

2. Line with styro. I buy mine from HD or Lowes.

2.jpg

3. Fill halfway with peanuts or scraps.

3.jpg

4. I use Kordon breather bags from kensfish.com. Fill to arrow for smaller frags.

4.jpg

5. Tie knot. Rubberbands just dont cut it with these bags.

5.jpg

6. Place in box.

6.jpg

7. Fill box up with peanuts. take heatpack and wrap in paper towel.

7.jpg

8. place on top of peanuts.

8.jpg

9. Put top on box.

9.jpg

10. Tape up and ship!! Easy ;)

10.jpg

Edited by nano-paul
That's an interesting question--eh? :)

I see many sellers on ebay offering shipping to Canada from the states--but I have to believe that it's against customs regulations and such.

Has anyone here shipped from the states to Canada or vice versa?

It is perfectly fine to ship coral to Canada, I have had coral shipped to me from the U.S. no problem! As long as the box is just labeled aquarium addative or something non specific it should be fine! Also, the declared value must be under $10.00 or so as not to go through a broker for duty. Wanna try shipping me something Mvite? I have the funds ready! LOL

ReefApprentice

Nano-paul, hate to break it to ya, that styro ain't doing anything for you. You bought craft styro, you need insulation foam. Go to lowes and look in the insulation department.

Nano-paul, hate to break it to ya, that styro ain't doing anything for you. You bought craft styro, you need insulation foam. Go to lowes and look in the insulation department.

I was wondering what that was---but it worked fine for what he just shipped me. I have been using 3/4".

First off, its 85 degrees here and that thick stuff is not needed. 2nd, I can ship like that in 10 degree weather, second day, and it will be just fine. 3rd, packing peanuts act as insulation. I use 3/4" when I feel its needed. Today shipping to New Mexico I dont think it was needed since the high for tomorrow is 82 degrees here.

What exactly are you breaking to me again?? I must have missed it somewhere. ;)

Edited by nano-paul
ReefApprentice

How to make a box:

Cut strips from foam. Put inside box. Tape together.

2a4zocz.jpg

How to make a lid:

Cut a square from foam. Use a utility knife to bevel 1" around the edge. Put tape on to keep from confetti going everywhere.

4c0fjwo.jpg

Tomorrow I am shipping out a 3 frag order, so I will take some more pics of how I package my shtuff. I think you will all be amazed. I don't even need to use rubberbands, and NOTHING ever leaks.

Edited by ReefApprentice

Speaking of 85 degrees---I just shipped a bunch of stuff and used heat packs. I shipped to Cali, FL, NE and OH.

I was concerned that heat packs would be too much--but I also realize that the boxes travel through some fairly cold areas.

What do you think? Heat or no heat for this time o' year?

ReefApprentice
First off, its 85 degrees here and that thick stuff is not needed. 2nd, I can ship like that in 10 degree weather, second day, and it will be just fine. 3rd, packing peanuts act as insulation. I use 3/4" when I feel its needed. Today shipping to New Mexico I dont think it was needed since the high for tomorrow is 82 degrees here.

What exactly are you breaking to me again?? I must have missed it somewhere. ;)

Heh, okay sorry?

Insulation keeps things cool and warm, not just warm. If you do ship in cold weather, the frags may get too cold. Just a suggestion, take it with a grain of salt.

Speaking of 85 degrees---I just shipped a bunch of stuff and used heat packs. I shipped to Cali, FL, NE and OH.

I was concerned that heat packs would be too much--but I also realize that the boxes travel through some fairly cold areas.

I am sort of in between. I think its still to cold to not use heat packs, but on the other hand, I almost sent it without the heat pack because I was scared it would cook them. I shipped some stuff earlier this week and the shipper said the box was actually hot from the heat pack and I needed to use a smaller one. Makes me think its about time to stop with the heat packs.

EL CHUPACABRA

Here is a thought: the packages get thrown into unheated cargo areas of planes and subjected to colder temperatures at high altitudes. Perhaps???

Here is a thought: the packages get thrown into unheated cargo areas of planes and subjected to colder temperatures at high altitudes. Perhaps???

Ahhhh. Good point! ;)