Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Official "How to Ship Coral" Thread

mvite

if the temps are low 70's and high 60's would it still be a good idea to add a heat pack when shipping? Will it make the water temp in the bag too hot?

if the temps are low 70's and high 60's would it still be a good idea to add a heat pack when shipping? Will it make the water temp in the bag too hot?

I wouldnt think so. I shipped ou yesterday in 80 degree weather and a heat pack.

This time of year is weird ---

I usually place the heat pack directly in contact with the top of the bags of coral. When I shipped yesterday---I moved the coral all the way over to one side of the box and put the heat pack on the other side of the box. I use the leftover styro scraps to kind of make a little compartment for the heat pack.

I know that the ambient temp inside the box will still be influenced but maybe the coral won't be heated as much as when I placed the packs in contact.

Aw man---I'm killing stuff in shipping.

I shipped Mudfish 2 rainbow acans----and they both died. The first day it was a PO error and it took 2 days. The 2nd ship was fine---everything was done as planned. And it's dead again---acan echinatas are really tough IME.

And---And---I killed 2 ebay acros. I was getting ready to blame the acros death on the paper towels--and just shipped some acros using plastic bunched up inside the bag instead of the paper towel wrap. Now I don't know if it's the heat pack or the paper towel.

I'm confused though because I also had boxes with acros. montipora and micros in them shipped to CA--and they arrived fine.

What could it be? I have soooooo lost my confidence right now!!!! EFFFFFFF!!!!

Edited by mvite

Brother, do not lose your confidence. You, and others on here, are the cutting edge - the rest of us are learning from you.

Deep breath, and try again.

ditch the paper towels and send me a test Acan Rainbow using the styrofloat method and lets check that out.

its still in the 40s here so just be aware where you are sending to and from because no heat pack in my area would be damn deadly for the coral.

Edited by ENraged
ditch the paper towels and send me a test Acan Rainbow using the styrofloat method and lets check that out.

its still in the 40s here so just be aware where you are sending to and from because no heat pack in my area would be damn deadly for the coral.

OOO! OOO! Put me on that list too!!

if you are shipping to California at this time of the year, even Socal, it is still good to use heat packs. (smaller ones, not the large ones) the temperatures hit low 50s at night. I have to survive a 20 degree heat swing everyday, i don't think i'm acclimated to this type of weather (thats me complaining about the weather in Los Angeles lol) :lol:

We're doin' mid-60s to mid-80s.

You know, when I felt in the shipping packages, they sure didn't FEEL too hot. But I don't know what else could be the problem....

Edited by Mudfish

I have been on the road all day thinking about what the #### I could have done.

I had a package that went to CA that contained montis and lps--with a heat pack and paper towels---and they made it.

I sent a monti confusa to Cleveland--with heat and paper towel---it's fine. I even got commended on the method!!!

I had one with 2 acros (ug--one was one of my sweet blue stags...) and LPS and stuff--with heat and paper towels---and the 2 acros arrived bleached.

As I was headed out of town today--I popped open the packages I had going out and removed heat from all but one. I only used cut and crumbled fish bags to wrap the SPS frags.

I haven't had any LPS problems---as a matter of fact I even had one that got delayed in the mail---about 2 weeks ago, and it arrived fine after 2 days--but it was just LPS.

Seriously--with all the frags I have--the worst part is that I held each one of those MF'ers in my hands---almost every day for the past 6-9 months!!!! And now---they are white and dead. ARGH....

I still don't know how I killed Mudfish's twice. They both were mounted to the white ebay plugs---that's the only other thing besides the towels. The towels are the same brand I've been using for a year. I got a 16 roll pack from Sam's Club and still have more.

GFM!

EL CHUPACABRA

Here is the official EL CHUPACABRA shipping method.

Individual frags are separated with rubber bands. One also has a little cheato in with it. The little sausages keep the corals from banging into each other.

DSCF0019-4.jpg

That gets double bagged:

DSCF0020-2.jpg

Then triple bagged:

DSCF0021-2.jpg

Then I put the back in a insulated box I make w/ 3/4" insulation foam, on top of a bed of crumpled newspaper.

DSCF0022-3.jpg

I was using 40hr (overnight), 60hr (priority) heat packs when it was colder. I am over it now unless customer request it.

DSCF0023-2.jpg

DSCF0030-4.jpg

DSCF0024-2.jpg

I have been custom screen printing my boxes to add to the fun.

DSCF0026-2.jpg

Heat pack goes on top of more crumpled newspaper:

DSCF0027-3.jpg

Lid goes in:

DSCF0028-2.jpg

Box gets taped up, labeled and I take it to USPS right before the cut off for the last shipment of the day:

DSCF0029-4.jpg

I have been having good success.

Here's a weird one--

On Wednesday, I shipped a ricordea, a rainbow acan (same as Muddy's), a green slimer and an acan lord. It was to Cleveland from Pittsburgh, so we used UPS Ground---with NO HEAT PACK. Well, UPS bumped the shipment and it took 2 days.

Of course the acro died--the lord did too. But--the rainbow was alive and so was the ric. The recipient said the water was 42 degrees.

I don't know what that learns us---but it's something to think about.

Here's a weird one--

On Wednesday, I shipped a ricordea, a rainbow acan (same as Muddy's), a green slimer and an acan lord. It was to Cleveland from Pittsburgh, so we used UPS Ground---with NO HEAT PACK. Well, UPS bumped the shipment and it took 2 days.

Of course the acro died--the lord did too. But--the rainbow was alive and so was the ric. The recipient said the water was 42 degrees.

I don't know what that learns us---but it's something to think about.

I got one better than that.

I shipped out two different packages, one on monday and one on tueday via usps priority and NEITHER one arrived. It really sucks because they are both forum members :angry: I HATE USPS...............UGH!!!!

I would say that USPS comes through for me more than 99% of the time. I am nervous because the odds say I am gonna get burned by them soon. They have been great.

UPS Ground has been the only thing to get rescheduled on me.

Priority is a gamble. That's why I stoppped. Express helps me relax.

I would say that USPS comes through for me more than 99% of the time. I am nervous because the odds say I am gonna get burned by them soon. They have been great.

UPS Ground has been the only thing to get rescheduled on me.

Priority is a gamble. That's why I stoppped. Express helps me relax.

I will no longer do priority either. Fedex has been the only shipper to deliver 100% of the time.

I will no longer do priority either. Fedex has been the only shipper to deliver 100% of the time.

When I shipped Priority I was always worried. With Express I didn't sweat at all.

One of this week's ebay winners wanted me to send two acros via 2 day shipping. I finally talked them into us cancelling the auctions because they were adamant that the coral would make it two days.

I told them I didn't want to sell them dead coral and if they made me ship via 2 day, that's what they would receive.

I have only shipped zoas and rics with priority. Everything else I ship express. I have had only one late shipment with priority but the corals survived.

I got one better than that.

I shipped out two different packages, one on monday and one on tueday via usps priority and NEITHER one arrived. It really sucks because they are both forum members :angry: I HATE USPS...............UGH!!!!

For those who doubt my packaging:

I had zoanthids in transit for 7 days. They all survived. I guess my craft foam worked pretty good, huh? ;)

Ok, I just got really lucky! :lol::P