Pod Your Reef

Hitching Euphilia

willyboy

I was really astonished to see how fast these things (theres two, i guess you've figured that) grow.

I was very hesitant to ask Prop how sure he was (Hi there Prop). I didn't mean to disrespect at all (I'm fairly certain it didn't come across that way).

--Will

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

It didn't in the least bit :)Ask me what ever you like when ever you like if its related to coral.Don't hold back. If I know it I'll tell you if I don't I'll refer you to some one who does. ;)

Wow...missed the update in my computer crash of the past week, I guess. Thing's grown quite a bit. FWIW, it's definitely Euphyllia glabrescens Glad you didn't nuke it, like the masses were shouting for earlier.

Pic of a similar one:

148-03.jpg

from this website: http://www2.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/html/1...20pages/148.htm

(I :wub: that website now)

I think the torch pic at Marine Depot has a wider oral disk as well.

You say you don't think it's Euphyllia because of the spread, but I wonder if young ones growing in isolation (and "unstalked") might tend to? Maybe dshnarw can tell us...

--Diane

Little late on this one, but I was watching about 5 torch corals that spontaneously grew out at my LFS back in Kentucky. There were a couple that never grew much of a skeletal structure, over the course of probably a year and a half.

Thinking back on it - the solitary ones were the ones lacking skeletons, whereas the group of 3 grew out fairly quick. All in the same tank, so the only other possibility would be some change in flow conditions that isn't conducive to the coral growing away from the rock.

Good observation...

Little late on this one, but I was watching about 5 torch corals that spontaneously grew out at my LFS back in Kentucky. There were a couple that never grew much of a skeletal structure, over the course of probably a year and a half.

Thinking back on it - the solitary ones were the ones lacking skeletons, whereas the group of 3 grew out fairly quick. All in the same tank, so the only other possibility would be some change in flow conditions that isn't conducive to the coral growing away from the rock.

Good observation...

Actually, I only had a speculation. You're the one with the observation. :) Interesting!

Oooh computer crash? Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Diane

Actually, I only had a speculation. You're the one with the observation. :) Interesting!

Oooh computer crash? Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Diane

No kidding :( Took a week to extract all the files, reformat, and re-install everything. Not so bad now though - like having a new computer :)

No kidding :( Took a week to extract all the files, reformat, and re-install everything. Not so bad now though - like having a new computer :)

It's "only" time... ;)

Bummer--glad you came out on top.

--Diane

• 1 month later...

It took some new pictures yesterday that show the coral skeleton at the base of the tissue. Apparently when I touched the larger one to feel for the skeleton I put it in a lot of discomfort. You can probably tell where I touched it. I hope that area recovers (it's not dying it just shriveled up and hasn't grown much). It may be my mild color blindness or a camera effect, but the larger torch looks kinda pink in this first pic.

You can faintly see a whiter region near the base of the soft tissue.

clownsintorch014.jpg

It is more evident on the smaller one.

clownsintorch015.jpg\

Also, the clowns have started hosting the larger torch at night. I have stayed up past lights out to get some decent pictures of them snuggling up with their new buddy. There are more pictures of the twins that I took yesterday along with the pictures of the clowns hosting the larger torch in my TANK THREAD

--Will

It took some new pictures yesterday that show the coral skeleton at the base of the tissue. Apparently when I touched the larger one to feel for the skeleton I put it in a lot of discomfort. You can probably tell where I touched it. I hope that area recovers (it's not dying it just shriveled up and hasn't grown much). It may be my mild color blindness or a camera effect, but the larger torch looks kinda pink in this first pic.

You can faintly see a whiter region near the base of the soft tissue.

clownsintorch014.jpg

It is more evident on the smaller one.

clownsintorch015.jpg\

Also, the clowns have started hosting the larger torch at night. I have stayed up past lights out to get some decent pictures of them snuggling up with their new buddy. There are more pictures of the twins that I took yesterday along with the pictures of the clowns hosting the larger torch in my TANK THREAD

AWESOME!!! Congrats on the clowns hosting as well!

(I recently went back to the LFS in Kentucky that had the hitcher torches - they've grown much faster lately apparently because of a switch from IO to Reef Crystals).

I think finding cool hitcher is one of the best joys in reefing. Unfortunately it can also be a pain to find some hitchers.

--Willy

true, but I'll be embarrassed to put up my FTS in a little bit, dozens of aiptasia. They're about to kill my xenia. I haven't been able to get J.J. or a pep shrimp yet.

--Willy

• 6 months later...

It's been a really long time since I upgraded the growth of my hitchhiking torches. So here you go.

aquariumloverevived008.jpg

This is the smallest one

I'll upload another batch of pics, including one of the larger torch.

I don't know if c est ma is still around but she was keeping up with this. (hello Diane!)

--willyboy

• 2 months later...

Archived