Top Shelf Aquatics

Hitching Euphilia

willyboy

I found this on my LR yesterday. It is not algae because it shrinks/cringes when I tap on the glass. It is very small. It looks like zoas w/o heads. I've never seen anything like it! :huh:

Myaquariums021.jpg

February 8th. under clam, very small

4-20-07008-1.jpg

April 20th.

hitchingeuphilia001.jpg

Today (August 7th) Not fully extended.

Yesterday (October 14th)

RPEs010.jpg

(UPDATED TO SHOW GROWTH several times)

post-21766-1170201510_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait til it expands a bit and try to get a better pic. looks superficially like a mojano anemone, at least from that pic

Ah yes...the infamous brown blob, Fuzzius nofreakingcluious

Close, positive ID is Fuzzius nofreakingcluious with cyanoius

-Mike ;)

Reverse Logic

I don't know enough about corals to make a guess . . . but I think I saw one of the Mario Brothers go down into that tube on the top left. Am I the only one?

I knew someone would say that Six!

I just have a digital camera. That is about as good as it gets. Its definitely not algae. It only expands in the day. I have never heard of a hitch hiker Euphilia But it has the color and shape of one. I know that sounds far-fetched. I already turned off the lights for today but I'll wake the fish back up.

Oh ya, thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!! :D , on my birthday, groundhog day.

LOL, ROFL... thats funny Jimbo and Mike!!!!!

I don't know enough about corals to make a guess . . . but I think I saw one of the Mario Brothers go down into that tube on the top left. Am I the only one?

no, no. I think I saw him too. I think I see Princess Peach too. She blends in with the coralline though.

• 4 weeks later...

I found another one that is bigger and has bigger, more prominent heads on it. Still no clue what this is. That is probably the best pic I can get.

My guess is that its an LPS - maybe hammer/torch/frogspawn. Looks very similar to my five baby ones.

Mojano is a runner up...but I like them too.

I think a lot of people may assume that a small LPS on live rock are something bad, and kill them off before its really recognizeable (because it does seem weird to have LPS coming from live rock).

But I have seen it happen:

My LFS has 2 rocks that have sprouted torch corals (and refuse to sell them...ergh...). In less than a year, one has grown to 2 heads that, extended, are about the size of the average fist. There is a smaller one about the size of a half dollar fully extended and popped up a couple months ago.

The 5 hammers I have were from some live rock that they broke up and left in a tank for a few months, and I had a couple of small red acans that sprouted out in a rock before the "great crash of (the) 29".

Archived