Pod Your Reef

My first saltwater tank

PinoyReefer

Here's my setup on 2/16/02 (Eclipse System 6 with sand, LR, 5 hermit crab and 4 Damsels) and the modification I made after my first water change.  I had removed one of the large rocks and put in some LR with some growth on them.  Can anyone please tell me what that plant is that came attached to the LR.

initial_setup.JPG

changed_rocks.JPG

old&new_rocks.JPG

side_view.JPG

old_rocks.JPG

LR&growth.JPG

new_plants.JPG

entering_cave.JPG

(Edited by PinoyReefer at 8:12 pm on Feb. 23, 2002)

I originally had the eclipse 6, and I don't think the 32W CSL fixture will fit in the 6 without serious modification.  I returned it and got a 10G instead w/ an Eclipse 1 hood.

I like the tank.

I can't believe there hasn't been a comment on the four fish in a six gallon tank yet, so I'll break the ice. I know you said this is your first saltwater tank so I'll give you some advice. You may want to decrease your fish population down to 1 or 2! Especially if you are going to do corals, which I assume you are given you are talking light here. Four fish are about two too many even if it's a fish only. I would drop down to 1 if you are planning a reef. Just thought I would give you the heads up before you started putting stuff in the tank. Good Luck!

(Edited by fish04 at 8:33 pm on Feb. 28, 2002)

PinoyReefer

Thanks.  I'll have to catch two of those fish and see if I can get some credit from my LFS.  As far as the lights, I checked out the Supernova 32.  It would have required a lot of cutting of both the hood and the Supernova's refelctor.  I also couldn't figure out how I'd be able to construct some kid of splash guard for it.  I found a smaller setup that should esaier.  I forget the exact name of it, Sealights something.  It's got a 13W and 9W bulb.

2 is too many fish. Take all of the damsels back, they aren't good fish anyways. Get a little goby or something, it will stay smaller, less agressive, and it will look better.

gaber

• 2 weeks later...
PinoyReefer

I took the following advice:

-  got rid of the 4 damsels and got one goby that stirs up the sand a lot

-  got 4 snails that ate up all the brown algae starting to grow on the glass

-  added 3 lbs more LR that makes for a total of 6lbs of LR and 5lbs of sand

-  got a retrofit (CSL Sealights 13W&9W) and will install it this weekend

As a result, corraline (purple and green) is starting to spread and chemistry is 90% of the way to desired levels.

I'll take some pics soon of the changes.

Thanks everyone.

(Edited by PinoyReefer at 9:25 am on Mar. 14, 2002)

• 2 weeks later...

LOL ....please, people let the man do what he wants....hehe....there's nothing wrong with 6 damsels on a 6 gallon ....as long as you can keep ammonia and nitrites down to 0 its okay.......rule that you should not put more than 1 1" fish on a 5 gallon is because of its territory.....and he wouldnt be happy! but how could you know that? what if the fish likes company? all fish are different and have different attitudes...so if your not successful then dont discourage other people.......... and please dont call people names! like idiot....its not right. let them take responsibility to their own action. let them figure out their own mistakes...give them advice...and thats all you should do....calling them names will not help.  so if you cant say something nice....just STFU...... :)

not that its okay....but its posible " a posibility with success" DELPH! there is nothing funny about it. you need to read more and research rather than judging what other people tell you! if you have told a reefer with a 55+ gallon and even a biologist a while back that your gonna start a 7 gallon nano reef they would tell you the same thing.."YEAH RIGHT"..."NOT POSSIBLE" etc..etc....but someone had to try it..and it worked..made it even posible to keep it in less than 1 gallon. why? because they tried it regardless what other people thought and said about it. its called trial and error. so tell me...what made you think that its not posible to keep more than 1 fish on a nano. while keeping it happy and giving it a good water condition? and i know what your answer is!!! its what somebody told you! so think about that

(Edited by MAD EVIL at 10:26 pm on Mar. 26, 2002)

LMAO....haha.....bwwaaahahaha......man let me tell you something delph.....like i said...the rule of thumb about more fish on a nano is not "ALL" about water quality....its about space.....so if quality is your reason....then hell put a 20 gal. refugium on a 7 gallon tank! now what can you say about that....NOTHING....so you better get your mind strainght......

So what's your point, Mad Evil?  Six damsels (or two for that matter) are going to be crowded in a six gallon tank AND the water qualities going to be a major problem.  Water volume and territory space are highly correlated... can't get away from that.  You're basically contradicting yourself, saying that it can be done, then saying that territory and space are at issue.

You have four posts so far, and none of them have been constructive or informative, and that's all I've got to say about that.

Evil, your courtesy "suggestion" is good and should be observed when possible. Your damsel concept on the other hand appropriately suits your handle. With the knowledge and technology that we have today, the suggestion to try 6 damsels in a 6 gallon is both mad as well as evil. Sure somebody could have a tank where all six are shy, communal marshmellows, but what are the [common sense] odds of drawing out six (count'em, SIX) damsels, placing all of them in what would be a fraction of their natural territory and having them co-exist peacefully? That is truly irresponsible fishkeeping and it does deserve reproach for suggestion (though I agree one doesn't need to be nasty about it). There is a distinct line between an experienced reefkeeper pushing the envelope for experimentation and an ignorant and/or careless hobbyist advocating inhumane and intolerable practices merely to see "what if". I have seen nanos at conventions chock full of grammas, damsels, and dottybacks before, and those who have been around awhile had the same attitude towards these vendors: contempt. Hopefully you were using a broad and hasty analogy, but if you were seriously advocating this practice, then join the ranks. I'm sure there's enough contempt by those who have been around to express a little towards you.

(Edited by pulpsmack at 2:50 am on Mar. 28, 2002)

C'mon now everyone.....we all know that fish are a disposable commodity. If they die we just go out and by more for our personal enjoyment.

*sarcasm implied*

Archived