inTank Media Baskets

mad moded cube master 12 dx

bonsai reefer

That would be greatly appreciated. :D I'm gonna do a mod of my hood eventually (1-2 months, I get distracted........ easily). Plus I gotta decide between these T5s or MH. I noticed from the aquabuys site from which you got your 70w MH, it came with a custom ebook. Mind if I take a look at it? I want to prepare for the mod if I decide to go that route. Oh, by the way what are you doing with your old... unused, used T5 bulb holder? ;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bonsai reefer
That would be greatly appreciated. :D I'm gonna do a mod of my hood eventually (1-2 months, I get distracted........ easily). Plus I gotta decide between these T5s or MH. I noticed from the aquabuys site from which you got your 70w MH, it came with a custom ebook. Mind if I take a look at it? I want to prepare for the mod if I decide to go that route. Oh, by the way what are you doing with your old... unused, used T5 bulb holder? ;)

ok here's the pics :D

PM me with your e-mail address and i will send you the e-book. As for the t5 holders do you mean the metal clips or what the bulb plugs in to ?

bonsai reefer
Bonsai, I don't think the Ice Probe will do you much good. I've met a few people who ended up trashing theirs. It seem they need really slow flow past the probe in order to work effectively. I've got a 150 HQI on a NC 12, I ended up using Current USA's Prime 1/15th HP chiller.

Take a look.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...o+Cube+of+Death

damnit wish i would have known it before i order 2 of them :angry: ooh well i am going to try to mount 2 of them either on a diy hob refuge or to a aqua clear 20 to hob and see what happens :huh: hopefully it will do the trick if not I think i will have to spend the $$$ to get a real chiller and drill holes in the back like you did . AWESOME tank :D thanks for the input I think I might rob your idea of the cool tube for moonlighting?due to mounting a 3rd fan in the center of the back . The more the marrier :)

I think I might rob your idea of the cool tube for moonlighting

Have at it.

As for the more the merrier, I'm not entirely convinced on that anymore. Mine is as loud as a freight train (slight exaggeration). But, with 12 fans in the canopy, what would you expect?

Thanks for the compliment. You do a fine DIY yourself!

bonsai reefer
Have at it.

As for the more the merrier, I'm not entirely convinced on that anymore. Mine is as loud as a freight train (slight exaggeration). But, with 12 fans in the canopy, what would you expect?

Thanks for the compliment. You do a fine DIY yourself!

Sorry about the spelling error ( marrier ). Geese 12 fans Humm that's like 500,000 cfms I think if you turn the fan controller on high your hood may hover above your tank LOL :lol: YOU HAVE SOME VERY INNOVATIVE MODS ON YOURS AS WELL :D I have this complex it's called (occd) obsessive compulsive customizing disorder. I see somthing and then I lay awake at night thinking "how can I make that better"? I think we share that complex not that it's a bad one to have we just want the best enviornment for out livestock. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Stay tuned to see what' next. I'll be lurking arount to see your next move :D

I've certainly got that disease! I knew someone would eventually diagnose it!

As for future toys, I'm on hold for awhile. I've got the tanks, and the ideas, but lack the space and funds. I'll keep my eye on you though. Who knows, I may just have to "one up you" one of these days! ;)

bonsai reefer

As for future toys, I'm on hold for awhile. I've got the tanks, and the ideas, but lack the space and funds. I'll keep my eye on you though. Who knows, I may just have to "one up you" one of these days! ;)

I think I am still catching up to you at the moment :) but I enjoy a little friendly competition. I have you in my radar activate tractor beam lol :lol:

I have this complex it's called (occd) obsessive compulsive customizing disorder. I see somthing and then I lay awake at night thinking "how can I make that better"? I

HAHA!! It's like you're in my mind. I was with my GF and while she was talking about something I was thinking how I can optimize water flow while reducing power consumption and noise...

bonsai - thanks for the pictures. :D got mine to fit just right! PM'ed you my email and as for the T5. If you're not using the clip and the holder I'll buy them off ya.

bonsai reefer
HAHA!! It's like you're in my mind. I was with my GF and while she was talking about something I was thinking how I can optimize water flow while reducing power consumption and noise...

bonsai - thanks for the pictures. :D got mine to fit just right! PM'ed you my email and as for the T5. If you're not using the clip and the holder I'll buy them off ya.

Where turning in to a collective :lol: Your pdf on the mh directions is on it's way however I did not use them I can talk you through it if you decide to go that route .I have mine hooked up to the switch on top of the tank . I did my home work and consulted with a master electrican ( my father in law ) It turned out flawless the switch that used to run 2 of the 3 t5's now runs the power to mh ballast and the switch that used to go from 1 actinic to moon light now runs the moon light and the 2 t5's . You can have my t5 metal brackets if you want but I think I am going to keep my ballast just in case I :) need a spare .I have a feeling they might be a little hard to find but e bay might have some.It is accually the balast and the bulb holder in one :) Stay tuned here in the next few weeks I have somthing special up my sleeve I am in the process of working on :happy:

bonsai reefer
Do you know what the gph is on the stock cubematser pump?

/

Definantly crap upgrade as soon as you get it to a mj900 or so.You will not be dissapointed . Taking some pics of my newest project will post in a few.

bonsai reefer

Went to a local chain stote ( the one that looks like a bullseye) and got a stand stained it so it would mach the rest of the furniture in the house ( at the request of my wife). Then I was trying to figure out how in the hell I was going to put 2 ice probes in to the back of the tank .The only place that was left was where the mj 900 was so that won't work .If the mj went bad I would not be able to replace it due to the probes being in the same section and I would be drilled throught the back wall ( did not like that idea ). So this is the solution I came up with . Unfortunetly I did have this made and did not diy( influenced by the misses). It had to also fit in to the cabinet I purchased .The sump is 10" wide 12" tall and 15" deep .I guess I no longer qualify as an all in one but I would rather have sucess then failure with this project. I also did not want to use the fisson nano craper I got due to very bad reviews and putting it in the back would only reduce flow . so I had 17" of height to play with and 5 1/2" width in chamber one (wish the cabinet was larger now). I looked every where for an in sump skimmer that would work NONE TO BE FOUND.So I called around to my lfs's to see if any one had anything I could get relatively cheap. Thats when" Guy" at my lfs "Fishy Buisness" hooked me up with this score at a bargan basement price$$$. The only problem was it was 18" tall so out came the hack saw and I took off 2" from the top tube where you see the sticker "water level" and took off 1" from the top of the cup.It fits perfect and I can remove the cup from inside the cabinet :D

While I was there I mentioned to "Guy" that I needed to get a temp controller to operate my ice probes and he said " I got just what you need " another bargan basement hook up this . I know what your thinking how are you going to get water to the sump with out aoverflow box they do not make them that small? In comes another diy project this . That is where I am so far, more updates to come on plumbing and hood mods the glue is stll drying on the overflow :D

bonsai reefer

Updates! Updates! Finished my over flow and return . Cut the back of the hood to accomidate and made a splash guard still to be siliconed .Got my ice probes in and installed on the sump Mounted the cooler controller .Getting ready to go out and and get a return pump and a few other items will post some more in a little while.Cant wait to get this fired up and stocked the suspense is killing me :lol:

bonsai reefer

OK up and running in fw mode for 2 days with out a hitch! got the ok from the ms's to stock this weekend here it is in all its diy glory over flow and return the sump with probes and skimmer Love the glowing orb effect . Now let their be life :D:D

RayWhisperer

Nice job!

Looks like you'll be lonely in the over-done DIY division.... I'm going to dismantle the Evil Nano Cube.

bonsai reefer
Nice job!

Looks like you'll be lonely in the over-done DIY division.... I'm going to dismantle the Evil Nano Cube.

Why did somthing happen??????? :huh:

That last pic sure cured me of my seasonal affective disorder. Looking forward to seeing this bad boy stocked - maybe some spf50 corals? You know the ones with the little suglasses. B)B)B)

bonsai reefer
That last pic sure cured me of my seasonal affective disorder. Looking forward to seeing this bad boy stocked - maybe some spf50 corals? You know the ones with the little suglasses. B)B)B)

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! :lol::lol: VERY FUNNY SMITHERS. :lol: I believe their called oakley zoas B)B)B)

RayWhisperer
Why did somthing happen??????? huh.gif

Well, the tank itself is sound, as are all the mods. But, you name a livestock problem, and I've had it, or am still having it. Frankly, I'm fed up with all the work and money I've had to sink into it, AFTER I was supposed to be enjoying it.

bonsai reefer
Well, the tank itself is sound, as are all the mods. But, you name a livestock problem, and I've had it, or am still having it. Frankly, I'm fed up with all the work and money I've had to sink into it, AFTER I was supposed to be enjoying it.

Dont give up hope :o What kind of issues are you having?? mabye I can help you figure out what to do to fix your problem. I used to buy fish from one of my lfs and the fish would only live for about 1-2 weeks at best :angry: I would do water changes thinking that was the problem .Then I would check my parameters and hardness and calicum levels and every thing would check out :angry: Went to another lfs got fish and all was well I avoid that store now :huh: Keep the faith if you tear it down youll only spend more money setting it back up .Believe me I speak from experience this is my 4th one due to this :D

bonsai reefer

Finnaly got some lr and did a little sacping B) total of 30lb cost 38 $ consists of fiji, marshall island , and tonga. As soon as I get a better camera I will take more pics this was with mh on. This is with t5's I have a really deep sand bed due to wanting a jaw fish :P

Archived