SaltCritters.com

How Many Clean Back of Tank?

Signmom99

I'm just curious - How many people clean the back wall of their tanks?  

I have seen most lfs that have a reef tank do not clean the back.  It looks cool with coraline etc. growing on it.  But I see and read that a lot of people here do clean the back.  Is there any benefit to not cleaning it?  Or is their any benefits for cleaning?

I won't clean the back of mine until it just gets to the point where I don't like to look at it anymore and don't worry about the coraline algea coming off it won't come off unluss u really try.  But I have never had any adverse affects from not cleaning it it is just a pain in the *** to move all of my LR to do it.

I only clean hair algae off the back.  I like the look of the coralline spreading over.  Also, at an LFS I used to frequent, the show tank had 'shrooms dividing and attaching to the back wall of the tank, which looked really cool.  I'm hoping I can keep a tank up long enough for that to happen. :)

I like the thought of coraline and shrooms growing on the back tank wall.  I think that would add nicely as a filler in sparse places.  Just my opinion though.  Don't have any yet and the turbos keep things so clean it will be hard for anything to grow!

My Eclipse 6

When I first got my tank, I was very determined to clean all sides of my tank to keep it clean. But, it's become a pain in the butt to try to clean the back wall basically because I would have to move a couple of my rocks just to do it. So I'm letting it be and hopeing stuff will grow all over the back to cover it. I only clean the front and sides now.

i only really clean the front of my 5 gallon. my 2 snails take care of most of it, and whats left over looks like dots, and its really thick and really hard to clean off on acrylic. i just have to make sure to clean the front off with the magnet right away before it gets too thick.

I consider the back of the tank to be snail grazing zone, I never touch it in fear of an uprising. Gang of snails could hurt a guy ya know?

Toy

Christopher Marks

I always clean the back of my tank.  I just like the nice crisp look of it I guess.  I used to not for awhile, but now that I do the tank is much brighter.

Archived