Cultivated Reef

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

I haven't gotten the skimmer fix kit yet myself, I'm actually curious as to what it all includes... I never got the drip trays with mine either, so I'm gonna ask Ken about that when I email him with a couple other questions I have. My skimmer has very minimal bubbles. Sometimes after cleaning out my tank from some algae or after I did a W/C this past weekend, then it'll start suddenly producing tons of micro bubbles. I'll unplug it and then plug it back in after several hours and it's back to normal with minimal bubbles... I think too much junk in the water upsets it's balance or air breaking ability or something, I'm not sure really.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have 30lbs of Premium Aquatics Nano rock (mostly marshall island) and 5 lbs of rubble in my display. then i have the other 5lbs of rubble in the refugium.

i like the hydor flo also in my tank...but a couple nights ago i looked at my tank and found it to not be spinning. so i touched it and it started again so idk if there was sand in it or what but it seems alright now.

i haven't gotten one of these skimmer fix kits either. i may have to email PA tomorrow to see whats up with that.

i have 30lbs of Premium Aquatics Nano rock (mostly marshall island) and 5 lbs of rubble in my display. then i have the other 5lbs of rubble in the refugium.

i like the hydor flo also in my tank...but a couple nights ago i looked at my tank and found it to not be spinning. so i touched it and it started again so idk if there was sand in it or what but it seems alright now.

i haven't gotten one of these skimmer fix kits either. i may have to email PA tomorrow to see whats up with that.

So far the skimmer fix hasn't meant much for me. After eight days my skimmer still puts lots of bubbles into the tank. You can see them flowing out of the sponge and into the center chamber. Maybe I got a bad one.

Bill

Bill - Do you have the intake for the skimmer pump facing up or down. I've heard that you should put it in the up position. Also you really have to fool with the air valve and the out flow valve for a while till you get to a point that's exceptable. In fact I replaced the air valve with one that I could regulate alot better. I've also read from other posts that sometimes less air bubbles is more. Anyways, just some thoughts.

Bill - Do you have the intake for the skimmer pump facing up or down. I've heard that you should put it in the up position. Also you really have to fool with the air valve and the out flow valve for a while till you get to a point that's exceptable. In fact I replaced the air valve with one that I could regulate alot better. I've also read from other posts that sometimes less air bubbles is more. Anyways, just some thoughts.

Thanks. I'll keep fiddling with the valves.

I have tried the pump in both positions. I think that fix was really supposed to fix a noise probelm, which I never had because the unit had the "muffler" on it. In any case it had no impact on the bubbles. I have adjusted the intake to a position where the skimmer works acceptably, with the foam about 1/4 to 1/3 the way up the cup, but that hasn't had any impact on the bubbling either. Is there an optimal setting for the skimmer pump itself I don't know about? What else could be adjusted? Water height in the chamber and skimmer height are both pretty much fixed.

Bill

Thanks. I'll keep fiddling with the valves.

I have tried the pump in both positions.....

Well I wish there was soemthing I could tell you to try. I just think that even at best you can only get the microbubbles down to a minimal. Good Luck

By the way, I think I'm just going to purchase a Remora and be done with it. If you don't want to spend money, and lots of it, to get your tank the way you want it then you probably will not be happy with this hobby. B)

The finnex skimmers are notorious for excess bubble emission - you can either deal with it or buy a new skimmer :( my fish and corals don't seem to mind!

Oh, I've removed the skimmer for now. I was getting enough bubbles that I think my fish and coral WOULD mind ;). I'll do water changes and rely on the refugium for nutrient export for now. Of course, when I try to turn the water level up so that the 'fuge might actually do meaningful work I get bubbles from there too. That is bugging me far more than the skimmer was.

Bill - I would put the skimmer back on for now and maybe run it on a timer for night time only. You need more filtration on the tank then just the refugium. Unless you are doing more water changes. I know it took a month before my skimmer reduced down the microbubbles, never gone, but reduced.

This is still what I get.

DSC01298.jpg

Bill - I would put the skimmer back on for now and maybe run it on a timer for night time only. You need more filtration on the tank then just the refugium. Unless you are doing more water changes. I know it took a month before my skimmer reduced down the microbubbles, never gone, but reduced.

This is still what I get.

DSC01298.jpg

I had no idea it could take months. I had always heard a week should do it. I will keep trying, and thanks for the encouragement.

I've heard you can run it in a bucket by itself during breakin, that way bubbles can be minumized in the crucial time.

Never thought of that. Maybe I'll run mine in my LR curing tub. Thanks for the idea!!!

also remember that the skimmer will not work the same in freshwater as it will in saltwater. i ran my skimmer in freshwater for the first 48 hours while i was doing my leak check. this is the only difference that i've found between the way that i set my system up compared to others. i have had no problems with microbubbles since the first couple of days after switching over to saltwater. idk if the freshwater had something to do with break in, but it is what i am expecting.

OK everyone, I've decided to part with the Finnex skimmer. It was driving me crazy, :rant: those damn micro bubbles. I just purchased the AquaC Remora with a Maxijet 1200 from Aquabuys. They are local to me and I hope to pick it up tomorrow. So tomorrow the mtank gets a major face lift as the 380w light fixture should be showing up and the microbubbles will finnally be gone to the tune of $163.00 for the skimmer and $180.00 for the lights... ouch. You can't stop me...lol :naughtydance:

I just got my skimmer fix kit in the mail today from JSK Merchandising which I assume is Finnex's parent company? Eitherway everyone keep and eye out for yours! B)

OK everyone, I've decided to part with the Finnex skimmer. It was driving me crazy, :rant: those damn micro bubbles. I just purchased the AquaC Remora with a Maxijet 1200 from Aquabuys. They are local to me and I hope to pick it up tomorrow. So tomorrow the mtank gets a major face lift as the 380w light fixture should be showing up and the microbubbles will finnally be gone to the tune of $163.00 for the skimmer and $180.00 for the lights... ouch. You can't stop me...lol :naughtydance:

LOL! I know the feeling. Just picked up the Nano shipped from Ohio for $135. On sale for $125 HERE!

After reading ALL the fiddling around with the skimmer I just decided to purchase a proven performer for the tank. :D

After reading ALL the fiddling around with the skimmer I just decided to purchase a proven performer for the tank. :D

Nothing wrong with that, at least you know it'll work for sure! ;) Plus you can sell the original skimmer to make up some of the cost for the new one. B)

I just got my skimmer fix kit in the mail today from JSK Merchandising which I assume is Finnex's parent company? Eitherway everyone keep and eye out for yours! B)

To all of you who just got the skimmer kit, beware of the big black sponge! There are times when it seems to block the outlet, and when that happens you have little control over the skimmer. It makes far too much foam and fills the cup in a matter of hours no matter what position you have the valve. I suspect this happens when the sponge gets too dirty, so clean that sponge!

Bill

Nothing wrong with that, at least you know it'll work for sure! ;) Plus you can sell the original skimmer to make up some of the cost for the new one. B)

LOL! FOR SALE one Finnex stock skimmer! (for those of you who throw your original one against the wall!) Cheap!

You runnin a Remora Phix?

You getting the 380w fixture from aquatraders? I saw that the other day and couldnt believe it. I wish that I had seen it before I got my viper, same price but WAY MORE watts. Even if it isnt the highest quality out there, seems worth the gamble to me.

You getting the 380w fixture from aquatraders? I saw that the other day and couldnt believe it. I wish that I had seen it before I got my viper, same price but WAY MORE watts. Even if it isnt the highest quality out there, seems worth the gamble to me.

Yah, it's the one from aquatraders. I've had it running for two days now and I couldn't be happier. 130 watts of actinics are really bringing the colors out of everything. I've got the 250 metal halide on for only two hours a day right now and I figure I'll do this for a couple weeks. Then gradually increase the time it is on to make sure I don't shock everything. Might I add that it is really a huge difference.

DSC01403.jpg

This was a picture with both the CP and HQI.

Which Protein Skimmer has everyone been going with if not the stock finnex one?

I would say if you are going to upgrade get the best nano skimmer on the market, the AquaC Remora. They also make Nano version on the Remora. I've had it running for three days now and it's produced more skimmate then the other skimmer produced all together.

Archived