Top Shelf Aquatics

"unknown" update photo

Gomer

So I am starting out a new tank and I am almost 2 weeks into cycling the live rock. I had all sorts of goodies so I initially thougth this was some sort of die off because of it's color.

..but then I notices that at night, it shrunk like most polyps at night and is actually alive. It fluoresces a bit as well.

Any idea what the heck this hitch hicker is?

unknownsmall.jpg

It looks like a sand anenome, Phymanthus sp. Although it looks a little bleached. They are usually found in the Indo-Pacicfic region. Like most anenome they like strong light.

It looks like a sand anenome, Phymanthus sp. Although it looks a little bleached. They are usually found in the Indo-Pacicfic region. Like most anenome they like strong light.

Thanks for the help :) No doubt it looks bleached. Originally, it was sorta shaded with how the rockwork was. Yesterday, I repositioned it so that it is in direct light higher in the tank.

• 11 months later...
well, I still have this guy and he survived :) He hasn't grown too much, but then again, I haven't feed him much.

He's nice looking.

not quite as nice as a mini carpet but he will do :P wish he was 2-3x larger though

Still cool in his own right :) If you ever get a split off him, lmk - if it turns out to be Phymanthus, it'd go well in my soon-to-be biotope tank.

Feed him every other day with some quality mysis, or cyclopeeze if he's too small for mysis. He'll grow pretty quick with some good feedings.

Hey dshnrw it looks like one of my borneman nems just more purple......same shape.

I agree - there are a few subtle differences on the tentacles from mine, but not much. EB always thought borneman nems belonged in Phymanthus somewhere. When yours splits, are the babies bleached? Mine has put out a couple of babies, and every time they're bleached - like that first pic. Then they start going pink, and finally blue-green. (Just sayin that baby may not have been so unhealthy as previously thought.)

Mine are bleached and the colors on my oldest one have come in so nice..... I will try to get a good pic tonight and update the prop thread.

well, I still have this guy and he survived :) He hasn't grown too much, but then again, I haven't feed him much.

Cool progress report! Thanks for updating this--what a wonderful find.

--Diane

Archived