Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clownfish Information and Pairing Guide

Tentacles

fish n' pets

I just have a quick question. Do Ocellaris Clowns need to be stocked in pairs? I have a 12 gallon NC DX, and i have a Bi-Color blenny in already. I want an Ocellaris, but since 2 fish is the limit i can only have one. Also, do the hosting tendencies in clowns bother particular corals?

my clownfish pair share the 12dx with a clown goby and everything is fine. but the goby is about 1 1/4" . not sure about how big your blenny gets but i'd say you would be fine with a pair as long as you keep up with the water changes. i've had 0 nitrates since i put the first fish in. all depends on your tank i guess. one of the LFS here has a 15 gallon with 10 fish in it. the biggest fish are a pair of clowns and the rest are all small goby and blenny speicies.

fish n' pets
my clownfish pair share the 12dx with a clown goby and everything is fine. but the goby is about 1 1/4" . not sure about how big your blenny gets but i'd say you would be fine with a pair as long as you keep up with the water changes. i've had 0 nitrates since i put the first fish in. all depends on your tank i guess. one of the LFS here has a 15 gallon with 10 fish in it. the biggest fish are a pair of clowns and the rest are all small goby and blenny speicies.

Bi-color blennys get arround 4 inches if im not mistaken. I have a Sapphire Aquatics skimmer and do weekly 10% changes. But do clowns do fine without a mate?

Scott Riemer
Bi-color blennys get arround 4 inches if im not mistaken. I have a Sapphire Aquatics skimmer and do weekly 10% changes. But do clowns do fine without a mate?

The do fine alone. You don't have to pair them.

are onyx percs born with their black color? cuz one of my clownfish is turning very dark brown color. i just got hm last week and her was darker range then the other clown but nows hes getting darker.

no. they're pretty much born naked (almost completely orange) and then develop black and white. LINK:) your clownfish is probably just maturing or could be adjusting to your light (i think I read something somewhere about the clownfish pigmentation changing with lighting...I'm not sure about the science behind it)

Edited by cyenna
no. they're pretty much born naked (almost completely orange) and then develop black and white. LINK :) your clownfish is probably just maturing or could be adjusting to your light (i think I read something somewhere about the clownfish pigmentation changing with lighting...I'm not sure about the science behind it)

thanks. he hasnt gotten any darker since i posted. i was at one of my LFS and they had the onyx ones and they were a lot darker brown then mine. i wonder if my crappy 2x24w lights are making them change color. my other clown isnt as bright anymore either. and i specificly got these two because they were so much bighter orange in the store compared to the other ones.

Edited by Qwank

im glad to see some people helpin each other out on here, ive been out for awhile

and g-force, my pleasure

cyenna, thanks for clearing up the coloration issue :)

edit: and the pics all look great!, but whos got some skunks or tomatos or sebaes or sumthin?! bring em!

Edited by Tentacles
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at possibilites of adding other clownfish to my tank. Right now I have two percs. Would adding a lone saddleback ultimately lead to his death? Obviously I am staying away from Maroon as they are too agressive.

Any advice?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any luck having an ocellaris and a clarkii together? I have a black ocellaris and got him a little orange ocellaris buddy and they were great together, but the little one ended up dying. I got a clarkii to add in, but the black ocellaris kept beating him up. Does anyone have any ideas, or has had any luck pairing these two together? Would it help if I changed the rocks up so the black one has to find a new territory? Thanks!

Tentacles

never seen or heard of a pair like that, usually they need to be in the similiar breed category, ive got a few lists on the first page

also about the saddleback with the percs, I think in any case when you want to have two very different breeds of clown then you need a big enough tank for each of them or each of the pairs to have space to claim as their own far enough away from the other(s)

but of course, clowns are wack fish and the posibilities are endless

lauren the occy is probably just beating on the new arrival because its an older tank inhabitant thats claimed its territory and is defending it, but id just try another occy or perc

Edited by Tentacles
  • 2 weeks later...

Tentacles thanks for the post. IN my tank I only have a Gold Bar Maroone Clown.

Picture008.jpg

I am having an issue with him spreading sand over everything on the bottom of the tank. I feel like I cant keep any corals on the sand. I would love to cover the bottom with Zoa's and such but he/she kicks sand over them. I tried covering the floor with LR rubble but he/she just picks them up and moves them. I am thinking of getting a toadstool of maybe some frogspawn. If I do do you think he/she will just host it and leave the sand alone? Its in a 24AP with a 70MH 14k bulb. I love the fish but I am tired of the sand getting everywhere. This is how my tanks looks now. I had to rearrange a lot so the sand wont damage any corals.

HPIM0152.jpg

Thanks again I love those black percs!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
been over a year

bump for lolz

Man, I miss those clowns. Of the 5 clowns I posted I only still have the orange occelaris, she's probably 3 years old now. I got her another orange occy companion. They've been going good for about a year now.

The black occy liked to sleep next to a powerhead and got sucked in one night.

I gave the Clarkii/condy to a friend and they got sick and died.

The female pink skunk (the one pictured) died in a power outtage. Her male died a few days later, I imagine from stress of not having his mate. He seemed so lost for those few days.

WhiteVelvetStarfish

how about a list of corals that people have said the clowns bother? i have seen many different ideas and as someone that is looking to get a clowns while having a reef tank this is key info.

sorry if this was already metioned and i didn't look hard enough

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...