Pod Your Reef

RedSeaMax vs JBJ 28g HQI

NuNano

Red Sea Max34 or 28g Nano Cube HQI  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better for the money?

• Red Sea Max34
    • 28g Nano Cube HQI

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be very surprised if this tank can routinely operate at 79 degrees without a chiller, with 150 watt HQI, with normal ambient room temperature.

Went to Pacific Reef Torrance yesterday and saw the 28 gal. Nano. It looks very nice. The temp was at 79 degrees. And for a cheap skimmer, it really was skimming protein. The 150HQI was crazy bright in that tank. It had mostly SPS corals and clams. I already pre-ordered one and my two friends pre-ordered them yesterday. Cant wait to set mine up.
Went to Pacific Reef Torrance yesterday and saw the 28 gal. Nano. It looks very nice. The temp was at 79 degrees. And for a cheap skimmer, it really was skimming protein. The 150HQI was crazy bright in that tank. It had mostly SPS corals and clams. I already pre-ordered one and my two friends pre-ordered them yesterday. Cant wait to set mine up.

Did you let them know you were from NR.com?

Does anyone else think the jbj stand is hideous?

ezcompany:

can you share your stories of nine people failing at keeping clams under t5 lighting? Is there a study showing 10% of clams can survive under t5?

interested to see if any of this info is published.

Does anyone else think the jbj stand is hideous?

ezcompany:

can you share your stories of nine people failing at keeping clams under t5 lighting? Is there a study showing 10% of clams can survive under t5?

interested to see if any of this info is published.

EZ was refering to PC's I believe, not T5's. Somewhat of a differance there. For example under stock Nano-Cube, Aquapod or BioCube lighting... I have one of EZ's old clams under 96w of T5Ho in my 30g right now, granted I added individual reflectors to both of the daylight bulbs for increased intensity...

They don't have a chiller on the 28g HQI like they do on the opentopped NC's with Vipers, right??

Yes, the 28g. at PR did not have a chiller on the aquarium.

yeah the rsm is t5 lighting.

the Red Sea Max are not T5 lighting, they come with PC's.

Did you let them know you were from NR.com?

No. I did not know but I got the whole set-up combo with live rock, heater, tank, stand etc...

79 and NO chiller, that's impressive!! Sounds like the dual circuit fan design they have works like a charm. So an ICE might be the minimal required to survive the summer. A rise to 82F wouldn't hurt either if it were to happen.

Maybe it'll do 79 with normal ambient room temp, but it might sound like a jet. ;)

It was pretty quiet with the four fans running when I was at PR. It is just a sweet aquarium.... :)

RSM website is suggesting that yes the bulbs are t5 lights.

from the wesite V

Complete lighting system

2 x 55 watt T5 power compacts (1 watt-liter/4 watt-gallon)

10,000K/Actinic lighting

Electronic ballast

High polish, textured aluminium reflector

Blue LED moonlights

Fan-cooled hood for extended life of electronic components

High transparency, polished lens

yeah dude you just answered your own question

"2x55 watt T5 POWER COMPACTS"

if you would of read earlier in the thread redseatech said that they are power compacts with a T5 diameter for increased intensity, in a shallow tank im sure a clam would do okay with PC lighting but its true colors wouldnt be there, a crocea and maxima clams are usually not in water more then 20' deep, usually 5-10', and the full intensity of the sun shining down on them, so PC's just will never cut it with the high intensity lighting needed with alot of the corals/clams people want to keep in the hobby

The real test is when someone gets one in their hands and can measure the temp after the light has been on several hours, and can evaluate the fan noise in a home.

It was pretty quiet with the four fans running when I was at PR. It is just a sweet aquarium.... :)
The real test is when someone gets one in their hands and can measure the temp after the light has been on several hours, and can evaluate the fan noise in a home.

If for the 28g HQI, as mentioned above the temps are stable at 79F UNchilled and on for several hours a day at the LFS this tank is at right now. So the question there is pretty well answered. B)

If for the 28g HQI, as mentioned above the temps are stable at 79F UNchilled and on for several hours a day at the LFS this tank is at right now. So the question there is pretty well answered. B)

agreed. It was 80 for me and the ambient temp was 80 as well.

• 5 months later...

Guys....I saw JBJ 28g HQI at my favorite LFS, the first unit in Singapore. I almost laugh looking at this tank unbeliveable.....crap design.

-First-

The tank canopy can't be opened without removing the collection cup of the protein skimmer. This very crap design, major flaw. Please confirm whether US version is different with Asia version on this matter.

-Second-

Air stone, or so called counter current skimmer was very lousy.

Price here for JBJ 28g HQI is USD 625.00

Price here for RSM 34 g is USD 750

No brainer choice and never regret going for RSM.

Had a similar question earlier, but went with the cadlights 25G tank, same footprint as the 34G but shorter so everything gets more light.

It comes with a 150W HQI and 3 x 24W T5 bulbs

Archived