Coral Vue Hydros

RedSeaMax vs JBJ 28g HQI

NuNano

Red Sea Max34 or 28g Nano Cube HQI  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better for the money?

• Red Sea Max34
    • 28g Nano Cube HQI

Yes we have considered the M-Glass tanks but they seem to be over priced for what you get and we are not impressed with the lighting for that price. Sure the MHQ is available but then the price is really out of line for what you get.

We have considered having a custom tank built by http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/ but we are as yet undecided.

Mr. MegaYacht

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Idgy

MAX lighting system gives you the ability to grow healthily all soft corals (Sarcophyton sp.; Lobophytum sp.; Sinularia sp.; Xenia; Cladiella sp. Etc.)

All LPS (Large Polyp Scleractinia: Euphyllia sp.; Plerogyra sp.; Nemenzophyllia sp.; Trachphyllia sp.; Caulestra sp. Etc.) and I even managed to grow successfully (in the prototype tanks) few SPS, such as Stylophora sp. And Seriatopora.

Dear MegaYacht

There had been slight delay, but I can assure you that the second and third shipment are on there way. I just want to explain that I'm Red Sea Marine Biologist and a member in MAX designing team, so technically I'm not responsible for the U.S. marketing. I will forward this complain to our U.S. head office in order to get precise shipment dates and list of distributors for your convenience.

I have spoken with a few people that have seen the JBJ prototype in person and so far there does not seem to be any heat issues with their new tank. We are hoping to have one set-up at the next SoCal meet in March so anyone that is interested in one can check it out in person, if you live and come to the meet.

I'm sure a few respected and reputable members will attend and they will be able to give their opinions on the tank.

Yes we have considered the M-Glass tanks but they seem to be over priced for what you get and we are not impressed with the lighting for that price. Sure the MHQ is available but then the price is really out of line for what you get.

We have considered having a custom tank built by http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/ but we are as yet undecided.

Mr. MegaYacht

Not to mention the glass tanks from Finnex are no longer produced and were discontinued as of the begninning of this year. Any left available are ones they have at their factory warehouse where they ship directly from.

I would go with the finnex tank or a modded 24g from nanotuners. Both of these will be much cheaper.

I would agree with this 100%, although not if you get the MH option on the Finnex, that runs it up to $550, which is evenly between the cost of the JBJ 28g MH and the MAX which are retailed at $499 and $599 respectively.

I was able to chat with a JBJ rep this weekend in person and the JBJ 28g sounds VERY promising. I'll be seeing a working demo of the tank in march just around when they are released (along with anyone else in the So. Cali area that come to the N-R meet we'll have then). But consider what the JBJ tank includes at a $100 cheaper price... Yes it's 6g smaller, but it comes with a 150w MH rather than 110w of T5 PC lighting, and comes with a pretty extensive tempature monitoring system as well as 2 seperate fan banks for cooling. Also comes with vents in the back to allow for additional evaporative cooling which is almost essential for heat burn-off especially if you have a hooded MH lighting system. I can't speak for the skimmer portion of either tank, but outside of the lighting/cooling system of the JBJ, it has less to go wrong with the tank than the MAX which has a timer, heater and control center all integrated into it.

But just like the current HD-DVD and Blu-Ray war going on, only time will tell which one prevails.

ok so I actually got to see a red sea max in person today - went into my local shop and surprised they had it. I must say it is a very well built tank and while I was pleasantly impressed - I'm even more disappointed in the lighting issue - because it is such a great tank otherwise. Make sense? They have put a lot of thought (but not enough) into this and it is kick ass, absolutely gorgeous with the stand but my God - what a disappointment in the lighting. It is absolutley totally inadequate in my opinion (and yes I did see it light and full). I just don't get it.

Basically then there are a few con's in my mind with this tank

1) no metal halide - jbj does

2) only 2 moon lights that I can see - jbj has 4 positioned in 4 corners to light entire tank

3) no wave maker, weird positional outflows, both pumps are on the same side of the tank - jbj has 2 pumps of higher gph capacity (jbj is 266 gph red sea is 145) on opposite sides with wave making

4) amazing filtration/protein skimming in red sea max - I have my doubts about jbj's setup

5) red sea is larger tank - 24,24,20" vs 18,22,22" (JBJ)

6) red sea includes heater jbj doesn't

so ... then red sea is $100 more for

1) less pump capacity

2) way less lighting, less led's

3) weird pump positioning

but - amazing protein skimming, included heater, included power center with timer (just on/off for 1 all lighting though - no sunrise/sunset), handy power switches, amazing look and construction

jbj

still looks to be my choice -only time will tell when production units are avilable (or when nanotuners lists their comments of their pre-production unit - HINT HINT). Unfortunately no clear choice, no 1 tank with all the options in an all-in-one

P.S. - neither tank includes refugium - but do have room for chiller.

The new JBJ Nanotuner has my vote. In my opinion, any tank that is enclosed with a MH system (Stock or Modded) will potentially have heat issues, just the nature of the beast. At least, the makers of the nanocube has made some counter measures for this; rather then leaving it up to another "NANOCUBE CHILLER MOD" post.

The protein skimmer seems to be the only spot where the JBJ nanocube falls short. However, most ppl who are into nanoreefs understand the limits of a nanoreef and tend to carry a light bioload anyway, perhaps they had this concept in mind. Infact, my tank doesnt even have a skimmer, so anything will be better then nothing.

The positioning of the moonlight LED is very nice. Will give the moonlight a nice even distrabution of light, rather then being concentrated in one or two spots.

I am glad they went with the 150 watt MH, rather then the 70 watt 14000k bulb. There will always be someone saying, "but there will be heat issues!" Guess what, Nanotank + Enclosed system + MH = Temps 80 and up. The encloser alone, not to mention the volume of water, leads to the obvious conclusion that a chiller would be a good idea.

And last but not least. If you get a nanocube, you will never run out of mods, replacement parts, upgrade ideas, etc b/c Chris at nanotuners is a huge distributer of nanocubes. I made the mistake in getting a biocube and getting spare parts for this thing isnt easy.

NANOCUBE better!

what size heater would you use in these tanks?

Usually a 100 watt one would be good for a 30 gal tank. I think the nanocube comes with the heater, not sure.

RedSea Tech:

Please advise if the actual back on the production tank is same as pics posted on your posts. It appears that everything is visible (skimmer, etc). Was this only on the beta tank so all could see filtration? Or is the equipment visible in the production tank also???????

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Red Sea Tech,

What we like about the Red Sea Max is of course the size (34g vs, 28g) but without MHQ the tank is limited, sorry but MHQ is simply a MUST HAVE. We do like the pumps being on opposite sides of the tank but the pumps are WAY too small for 34 gallon tank. The wave controller in the JBJ is a great addition and of course the skimmer in the Red Sea is the only way to go but the Red Sea Skimmers are not very good so while including it is great it is useless the skimmer has been redesigned it is not much good if is dose not work. While the JBJ also includes a skimmer it is as yet an unproven design so only time will tell if it works or not.

The Red Sea units have the built in power control and timer panel which we do like so both have pluses and issues.

Being in the design team Red Sea Tech did you and others speak to the people at Nanotuners.com and other people in the Reefing community as to what people want? We ask because you seemed to have missed several VERY key points in your design.

1. MHQ Lighting at 150w for 34 gallons

2. Wave maker

3. Working/proven skimmer

4. Large enough pumps to give at least 800 gph and a 1000 would not be out of

the question for many people.

Anyone else please feel free to add what I am sure we misses as to your thoughts on what would make a GREAT All-In-One Reef tank.

MegaYacht

A 150 watt HQI is going to generate a LOT of heat in a covered tank. I have two tanks with 150 watt metal halides and even though both are open tops, heat is an issue.

I agree, halides will generate a great deal of heat and make it a must for a chiller. I think Red Sea did an excellent job in keeping in mind that some reef keepers will be just fine with the stock OEM system and not having to purchase a chiller.

I have had custom EURO reefs tanks built, almost all the Nano's with HQI's installed and have kept LPS, SPS, and soft corals. What I like about the RSM is its true plug and play system with quality and a functinal system.

I think the tech's at Red Sea did an excellent job in putting this product out and yes, it could always be better, but RSM 34 has come a long ways from what I can remember when I first entered this hobby 15 years ago.

For what it is worth, if you can afford it, alot of fun can be had with this system.

Guess that answers the you cant have a clam under that stock lighting. :happy:

u and ur friend are success stories, one of maybe 10 that have tried, where the other 9 have failed. clams are not all built the same, even if the same species. you will have individuals that can tolerate less light than others, but the fact remains, the majority of clams need stronger light than PCs.

• 1 month later...

Well it is now mid March and the Red Sea is available and the JBJ is still vapor ware. I see pluses and minuses with both systems but I think people do need to realize two things. One of those being that how much light you do need is up to what your keeping. I would go with the JBJ if sps was going to be the corals I was going to keep. That would be common sense. I am sure the Red Sea would lose a bit of its all in one capability but I am sure there will be mods avaible to allow MH lighting for the tank. I think nanotuners has one as we speak or it is coming very soon. I admit for more money and the high likelihood of heat issues this tank could have the lighting you want. I cannot believe that any enclosed tanks of these sizes would not have some heat issues if they have mh lighting. I am deciding between the two but the vapor ware status of the JBJ atm still has me concerned. Is this just one delay or the first of many I do not know. People have no hands on expereince with JBJ and Chris at nanotuners has already told me once they get the tanks the price will go up 50 dollars or so . I have a feeling like most things in life that a JBJ ready to roll and red sea with better lighting will cost dam near the same .( considering the better build of the red sea) It is just how you decide to go with your money. I guess the nano would probably still be cheaper but is it worth it when the overall cost of these tanks is considered. I also have looked into the Biocube 29 and by the time I got the skimmer and did lighting mod it is right up there with the other two. That is the non metal halide mod. The probably biggest bang lighting for the buck would be4 the aquapod 150 hxi set up. This tank is smaller and has its own issues and still would be in the same range as the others if all things are added.

I wouldn't say the JBJ is vaper-ware yet... An LFS here in LA has one in RIGHT NOW and is testing it. it may only be available to dealers for now to test, but it should be released very soon. So far the tank at that LFS is doing good that I'm aware of. Maybe Asin can shed some light on it since he's in contact with the store owner (Mike at Pacific Reef, Torrance) who has the tank in, a single one for his personal setup use.

I wouldn't say the JBJ is vaper-ware yet... An LFS here in LA has one in RIGHT NOW and is testing it. it may only be available to dealers for now to test, but it should be released very soon. So far the tank at that LFS is doing good that I'm aware of. Maybe Asin can shed some light on it since he's in contact with the store owner (Mike at Pacific Reef, Torrance) who has the tank in, a single one for his personal setup use.

I have posted earlier that the 28g is in at Pacific Reef and it is set-up. Its beautiful! Anyone in the SoCal area should go check it out. There is also a special price for NR.com members if you order it there.

-Iz

I've been doing some research on getting a RSM, a JBJ, or an Aquapod here in Canada and I have to say it is very disapointing.

RSM at our biggest LFS in town is $1049.99CAD, plus $399.99 for the stand, all before taxes.

Aquapod is not available in Canada and will not because it is not up to our electrical codes.

JBJ is the next option, but finding a dealer in town with a working model, or even a display is hastle. Getting information from JBJ themselves was a nightmare and they directed me to a city 3.5hours away from mine to ask about their new 24g HQI.

I totally agree with everyone's previous comments on lighting and heat, although right now the biggest deterant for me is the incrediable price tag. I would love to set up a nano in the next few months and in it have SPS and clams, but right now its looking to be too costly to even get the initial set up! The cost of RSM at one of the LFS here is about equal to what I paid for my 230g display tank.

Optimally I think that the price should be lower for the RSM, the tank should include a MH option with appropriate ventiliation, good skimmer, and it should come ready with pumps able to do a decent flow rate!

I have posted earlier that the 28g is in at Pacific Reef and it is set-up. Its beautiful! Anyone in the SoCal area should go check it out. There is also a special price for NR.com members if you order it there.

-Iz

Ordered mine on Friday, it is SWEET! I think a chiller will be a must have or an AC'd building. Mike is great to work with and only has a few left.

Ordered mine on Friday, it is SWEET! I think a chiller will be a must have or an AC'd building. Mike is great to work with and only has a few left.

Did you tell Mike you were from NR!?

I hope so!

Did you tell Mike you were from NR!?

I hope so!

Oh yea, Mike knows me. I was refering people to his store before you went there :P

Went to Pacific Reef Torrance yesterday and saw the 28 gal. Nano. It looks very nice. The temp was at 79 degrees. And for a cheap skimmer, it really was skimming protein. The 150HQI was crazy bright in that tank. It had mostly SPS corals and clams. I already pre-ordered one and my two friends pre-ordered them yesterday. Cant wait to set mine up.

Archived