Top Shelf Aquatics

Deep 6 eclipse...

KoAps

Eclipse System 6

Has CSL Lights with the quad 27w, but it blew that transformer from heat so I repaced it with a AH 13w kit

I had carbon in the tank but I ended up removing it when I was trying to treat the tank and ended up just not putting it back, I left in the bio-stars.

my.tank.jpg

coralline.algae.jpg

green.stars.jpg

moon.coral.jpg

mushrooms.jpg

hermits.jpg

cleaner.shrimp.jpg

lighting.jpg

Your not supposed to remove the activated carbon. It catches all of the small particles and wastes that are floating around in the tank. This is probably why your tank is so cloudy.

No My tank isn't cloudy and no is has nothing to do with the carbon. Carbon is for absorbing the minerals that are floating in the water, I'm not stressing it since I use pure water and add in the elements I need, I don't want carbon removing things I do want.

What you are refering to as cloudy is actually really hard and healthy green algae that grows in the tiny tiny little pits in the arcylic, I'm planning on getting a 7gal glass tank and it will fix that.

My tank is doing extremely well, everything in that tank has grown, the moon coral as made new mouths, the green stars are growing like crazy as are the mushrooms.

Algae control in my tank is done via light time and hermits, and it seems to be working vary well.

(Edited by KoAps at 11:42 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

second2n0ne

Looks fine to me...I know what you mean about the "acrylic" these tanks are made of.  Good call on the carbon.  Carbon robs certain elements that are beneficial to the life of corals and inverts.  Carbon in fact "polishes" the water but should be avoided in these small tanks.  NICE JOB!

maroonclown05

i have an eclipse 12 and use one of those white algae scrubber pads- its gets the acrylic crystal clear and doesnt scratch... for filtration i was thinkin of just putting filter floss in there instead of the cartridge, eliminating the carbon

I like the filter setup I have now, I know a lot of people say that bio-wheels are nitrate factories, but so far I haven't had nitrate level issues so I'm not stressin it. The Sponge Pads I have for like a fluval 102 or something like that, works pretty well, and the bio-stars seem to do no harm so I left them in, some are totally surmerged for anaerobic bateria and others are exposed to air. I'm planning on upgrading my tank soon to a glass one with a refugium.

If you have nothing to catch small dabris, then how is your impeller holding up. If you don't have that pad in your actually doing more harm to your impeller, which means that you may have problems.

There's many filters in my tank..

The flow is cary good in my tank, I don't think there is a dead current spot anywhere in my tank, so the rocks and coral catch a lot of the really really small stuff, the larger chunks get stuck in the two sponges and then the other heavier bits sediment in the try of the filter. it then goes through the bio-stars and bio-wheel.

All in all there are vary fine bits floating around, but You want that if you have filter feeders and I have a bunch.

Also what debris are you refering too? because some of it you want, you don't want to remove everything in the system, that just causes things to rot in the filter more and do less in the biological system of the tank. I don't mind some debris on the bottom of the tank if it might help the live sand in the end.

• 1 month later...

nice tank like the lighting setup when i had my eclipse i left in the bio wheel but i did not use filter pads i used meida called bio glass i orderd it out of pet whare house the little tubes it almoast looks like big hunks of macaroni has small little pores so alot of  good things grew an them my tank looked great i took it down and sold it to a friend since i bought my two tens and soon to be buying an alife7 great tank love the moon coral!!!!!!!

quiksilver5768

Pondman, what are you talking about with the carbon? Carbon isnt very good for nano reefs or really any reefs for that matter. It strips the water of certain bacteria and other things which small tanks like nanos can thrive from. Carbon inserts dont pick up small particles in the water, filter floss does. A sponge will pick out big debris and filter floss gets smaller debris.

second2n0ne

Ummm, hello Pondman...impeller damage?  Typically the carbon and floss is placed AFTER the impeller.  Quicksilver is right on the whole carbon and floss thing.  Maybe your backyard pond benefits from carbon but nanos are a whole differnt beast.

StatiKShocK

Pondman!!! FW is not the same as reef tank. you dont need carbon and you definately dont have to leave carbon in there. and since you brought up debris. many, actually almost all members in here barely use filter pads. not only does the rocks filter biologicaly it also act s as a pre-filter..the water flow pushes the excess food and stuff to the rock into the tiny hole's and that's what the critters like hermits, worms. etc eats... nice tank koaps :)

i had alot of that thick algae all over. and i let it grow on front on accident because i got lazy. but a credit card will swipe it right off.

Very nice tank KoAps!  

Could you explain your lighting setup a little more for me please?  I'm using an AH Supply (2) 13watt kit for my Eclipse 6 system as well, I'm just wondering what the aluminum looking box is.  Is that just something you made, or what?  Any more pics of it?  Also, what's your heat like?  I have to leave the door off the lid to keep the heat down to 81.5 degrees, and that's with 7, yes, 7 vents installed in the hood.

As far as filtration, I'm using nothing but the sand and rock as well, no problems here, and my corals are thriving.  I only throw the carbon filter in when I mess with something and maybe cloud things up.  Other than that, the system does take care of itself very well.

TIA,

Jeff

Archived