Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My BioCube 8

GMan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ... As I stated above the Blasto accidentally fell into the RBTA and was stung baddly. You can see several shirveled polyps in the picture, and the other polyps were all much bigger prior to the accident.

The Blasto and Zoa frags are still on the frag disks. I need to remove from the disk and glue onto the rock somewhere.

Wowzers that anemone is much bigger! I don't have any personal experience with anemones, but I've read that what some people perceive as rapid growth is actually an anemone expanding itself to obsorb as much light as possible when it's starving for light. I'm not saying that is the case, but I wonder if all that growth is really growth. I've seen some flaming in other threads over this. I certainly don't want to start something like that. I'm just curious because I have the same tank and lighting and I'd LOVE to see my clown host something.

Thanks ... He shrinks and enlarge throughout the day/night. The last picture was when he was fully expanded and pumps turned off.

You can't really tell in the pictures, but he has almost flourescent pink tips on his tenticles.

When I put him in the tank some weeks back he was fully retracted and about the size of a golf ball.

This tank is a definate inspiration!

Don't worry about your blastos, they'll heal. This summer I accidentally dropped buffer onto mine, they all went away but one, it was just a little flesh left. They have all grown back by now, and look awsome.

That anenome is really cool too. Good luck with the tank.

Hoping you guys can help me out with a bit of a BioCube issue...

My son got a BioCube-29 from his grandmother for Christmas. He had seen some of the genetically modified zebra danio "GloFish" and really wanted some, and the grandmother just picked out what looked like a cool tank. It is really cool, but not really designed for the zebra danio, but hey, to me it was free so I can't complain too much. (The GloFish look really good under the blue lighting, too!)

The problem is that one of the little guys has made his was through the slits of the lower intake. That puts him below the grate separating the two intake areas, so I can't get a net at him. I can't get the grate to come out. I can't get the fish to come out, and I've tried quite a few things to coax or prod him along! The good news for now is that I *can* get some sinking granules of food down to him, and I saw him eat some, so he's at least not starving.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? Does the grate really come out and I'm just not yanking it the right way? I'm hoping GMan will know something here seeing as he is intimate with the inner workings of the BioCube!

Thanks in advance!

-jp

Hoping you guys can help me out with a bit of a BioCube issue...

My son got a BioCube-29 from his grandmother for Christmas. He had seen some of the genetically modified zebra danio "GloFish" and really wanted some, and the grandmother just picked out what looked like a cool tank. It is really cool, but not really designed for the zebra danio, but hey, to me it was free so I can't complain too much. (The GloFish look really good under the blue lighting, too!)

The problem is that one of the little guys has made his was through the slits of the lower intake. That puts him below the grate separating the two intake areas, so I can't get a net at him. I can't get the grate to come out. I can't get the fish to come out, and I've tried quite a few things to coax or prod him along! The good news for now is that I *can* get some sinking granules of food down to him, and I saw him eat some, so he's at least not starving.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? Does the grate really come out and I'm just not yanking it the right way? I'm hoping GMan will know something here seeing as he is intimate with the inner workings of the BioCube!

Thanks in advance!

-jp

It comes out pretty easily. Here's how...

Stick a butter knife DEEP down in between the grate vents. Twist the knife firmly and pull up. ;)

Another trick is to bend the last 1/4" of a coat hanger at a 90 degree angle ... slip it through the slit in the grate ... twist ... pull up.

Good luck!

Brian Crook

Couldnt you just turn off your pumps so hes not being sucked upwards and then put some food that he likes out in the tank so he comes back through the slit to eat it?

I tried the coat hanger. I even tried with both ends hooked so I could pull up in two spots at once. It's not moving! Is there some sort of adhesive in there? Am I just being too gentle with it?

I tried turning the pump off. I tried gently forcing the water back down through the grate. The little guy must like it in there or something, because he doesn't want to come out on his own!

I tried the coat hanger. I even tried with both ends hooked so I could pull up in two spots at once. It's not moving! Is there some sort of adhesive in there? Am I just being too gentle with it?

I tried turning the pump off. I tried gently forcing the water back down through the grate. The little guy must like it in there or something, because he doesn't want to come out on his own!

So did you try my advice? It worked fine for me. You have to get mean with it though.

You may have an issue with a poor factory silcone job. When I had mine all apart ... one of the corners where the grate was had a rather large blob of black silcone. That particular corner was not going to allow me to pull the grate out. I had to work the opposite corner and once that was free the corner with the silcone wasn't a problem because I could move the grate slightly to avoid the silcone buildup in that corner. You might have silcone buildup in several areas that is preventing you from removing the grate and may have to resort to remove the buildup in order to get the grate out.

Don't be to concerned about being rough with it ... there really isn't anything to serious that could break, and if it did it could be repaired.

Good luck!

Archived