halfpint

New people, READ ME!

I was thinking of getting a 50 cm x 50 cm x 50 cm tank... but can I setup a nano reef tank without a skimmer or a chiller? The filter I am using currently is a canister filter, but I probably can add a fuge by using an HOB.

I use a canister filtering any tank smaller than 30 gallons. I use 1 bag chemipure , 1 bag phosguard, and the rest is matrix rocks for bio filter. I got away with mostly monthly 20% water changes.

watch your salinity every day. an ato is invaluable.

watch your temperatures in the spring/summer.

don't eat yellow snow in the winter.

the most important reefing technique is patience.

the most important aspect in reefing is lighting.

the most useful device is a turkey baster.

I saw this as I was reading this and I just would like to say that you need to make sure you really trust this. I myself find no problem with adding top-off water myself. I will be doing something to the tank everyday anyway. I had set one up on my RSM and found it was more trouble than it was worth. Save your money and get yourself a RO/DI unit for doing your on top-offs.Just my two coppers added here.

Hello Everyone,

First post. Been sticking to fresh water but always wanted to dip toes into a nano reef. Been talking the ears off of the LFS and reading what I can but it still seems a little overwhelming, so I wanted to know if this game plan works (though i know things don't always work as planned so have to be ready for audible). It is a 10-Gallon tank. To start I have heater keeping tank at 75 degrees. Have powerhead to move 240 gallons per hour, and a HOB filter rated for 30 gallons. Live Rock and Live Sand have been in place for about 2 weeks and the original water was prepared salt water with live organisms. My gameplan if it works is some of the terminology may be incorrect:

1.) Add 3 red hermit crabs/2 snails

2.) Throw in some ground up marine flakes twice a week

3.) Add 3 more crabs, 2 more snails after 2 weeks

4.) Give another 2 weeks for tank to settle

5.) 1 Lawnmower Blenny

6.) Give 2 more weeks for tank to settle

7.) Add pistol shrimp/goby combo

8.) Give 2 more week to acclimate.

9) Purchase appropriate lighting for some corals (looking into more hardy/forgiving/small sized)

10.) 1 new coral frag about every 1-2 weeks or as it works.

I apologize in advance as I'm sure that all of this has been discussed prior, however the switch over does seem to be a little overwhelming after years of freshwater. I know larger tanks are more stable and less prone to system crashes so I will be keeping an eye on everything, but I am not getting rid of my large freshwater, and in my current living situation I only have room for the 10 gallon nano reef goal.

Thank you for any help in advance. I've seen some great results on this site and I'm hoping that mine can get to half the level of some of your systems.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

If you haven't got any lighting yet, id get some put in asap. My newbie 20 gallon nano has been running for just 2 months now, with T5 lighting and supplementary blue LEDs from the start, my live rock is now covered in beautiful coraline algae, and loads of cool macro algae which seems to have appeared from nowhere.

As well as soft corals, check out the mini maxi anemone, I just bought one, with a male and a female sexy shrimp which are hosting it, just so cool, and i think look great in a nano tank.

I was a bit overwhelmed too going from freshwater, but just treat it like your freshwater aquariums, but be stricter on water changes/ replacing filters etc, and give everything time ( which you know anyway.).

DON'T USE CRUSHED CORAL FOR SUBSTRATE!!! For best results, use Arag-alive wet-bagged sand. It's awesome. Just be sure to check the expiration date on the bag before buying.

I'm still having problems cycling a new tank, so I'm not ready to add any livestock. But, I am using CaribSea Arag-Alive Hawaiian black sand. I have a 20L and I plan to have 2-3 small fish (pink-streaked and/or possum wrasses). I really don't want to vacuum my SSB every week (as others have done) but I can't find any concrete info about reef-friendly CUC that would be compatible with a coarse-grain SSB. Any suggestions?

Probably already said but research your tank critters before buying them.

On 7/1/2007 at 8:34 PM, halfpint said:

I'll go first. N00bs, here are some common problems that you shouldn't worry about.

• The imfamous "brown algae bloom." It happens to everyone who sets up a tank. So don't panic.
  • The nytrogen cycle. Learn it before setting a tank up. It goes Decaying matter = Ammonia = Nitrite = Nitrate = Nitrogen gas. Wait it out. Don't add anything until Ammonia, nitrite, and most of nitrates are gone.
  • Feeding. Don't feed your fish every day. Nano tanks build up waste easily, so feed every other day or every three days.

Thank you for sharing these points. It was helpful.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2007 at 10:18 PM, mascencerro said:

set aside a special "my aquaria" fund when you first start studying and planning. It doesnt have to be national debt expensive, but if you don't start saving a little here and there when you start, you'll end up getting the 'cheapest' first then wanting to upgrade and upgrade and upgrade when you get money. Why not start out with a couple of good items you really want like lights, filter, etc in the beginning instead of having a closet full of stuff you cant use and nobody wants in the end.

Hey Hi, I have a 15 years of experience in fresh water aquariums & now wanna start a saltwater aquarium, but I can only keep a 2.5 feet length aquarium ( I can compensate in height though). Is this size okay to start with?

Secondly I am worrying as people say Marine aquarium is not a success. Even a slight change in temperature or salinity could cause a big damage. Water change should be done once in 2 weeks or else it could harm the fish. Awaiting your revert. Should I start a new saltwater aquarium or should stick to my freshwater aquarium.

Salt is very rewarding! just have to be very patient, a lot of things people say is complete bs. It's easy. Lots of flow is key. Salinity and temp swings will not kill everything just keep it as stable as possible and make a regular water change schedule. Some people go years without changing their water and some do 100% every week. It's all opinions, find what works best for you.  I don't put anything in my tanks for at least a couple months. (I reef my way. )And use what works, there are a lot of fads, do your research. 

• Like 1

An intro forum would be nice for new members to post their intent and current/aspiring tanks. This pinned post is a good start but if this forum is as busy as I remember new member's post can get quickly buried. Former employee at Aquatouch and Tropical Treasures AZ getting back into the hobby. Need to sink money into something other than brewing!

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone,

I am new here, recently joined the forum. Just read this thread and it is very interesting. 

Welcome to Nano-Reef, @DanielHardly 🙂 If you are building a new tank, feel free to share your journey here!

Have fun!

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions