Top Shelf Aquatics

New people, READ ME!

halfpint

• 1 month later...
In most cases, don't believe anything that a person at the LFS tells you. They will (in most cases) BS you, just to get you to buy more.

[EDIT]Thanks, mods for the sticky! We just need more of the experienced people to shed osme light in here.[/edit]

Thats crap some of us actually like our jobs and are passionate at what we do giving everyone that walks in their lfs good easy to understand advice and not pushing a sale just to make money ;)

• Like 1
Thats crap some of us actually like our jobs and are passionate at what we do giving everyone that walks in their lfs good easy to understand advice and not pushing a sale just to make money ;)

Always still agood idea to double check. You never know.

chopstikkninja
That's right. My bad.

That reminds me.

Don't use "Finding Nemo" names for fish. You'll get flamed. :P

Sponge Bob OK? Lol.

Awesome advice Everyone. This is answering a lot of my questions. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everything said so far has been dead on and has been helpful with setting up my Blu Reef Bio cube 29 and now with my soon to be 48 gallon Flamingo Reef.

Things that have been helpful so far...

It's all about good live rock and letting the cycle complete. Even thou you don't have fish or live stock ,watching for hitch hikers is fun and an added treat.

10% water changes weekly...also

wash the sponge every three days if you start seeing some brown algae and cut back on feeding.

Clean up crews are very important, but glue or epoxy frags or you will keep having to stick your hand in the tank.

I just wish I would have gone thru all the pages before making some live stock buys like...

don't always listen to the LFS folks even if they seem like they know their shit! They want to make a sale, I ask stupid questions to test them and most of them fail. I've only met one I can trust so far out of 3 LFS around me.

I once asked if I can keep a Flaming Angel with a Coral Beauty because I saw them in the same tank and the old man that ran the LFS said to me... sure it's a hobby,there is no rules.

The next part made sense but I wouldn't want to try it... he said,"it's like if you want two wives in the same house,it can work but are you willing to try it,sure they might get along for a while but you never know unless you try it,and he said he would have two wives if he could afford it!" hahaha that cracked me up and I told my wife and her jaw dropped.

Kapong (Azul)Damsel are great looking,cheap and might seem safe but they can get out of hand and kill one another if you have more than one in a tank. I had to return one to the LFS because 3 weeks later he got super aggressive.

Keep an eye on your Peppermint Shrimp, they will move stuff around if not glued or epoxied.

Coral Shrimp are not friendly per say ,just don't get females..they grow fast and will try to punk others in your tank.

Orange Spotted Goby's are fun and helpful to remove algae blooms from the sand bed and eats it from rocks but they will make a mess!

Royal Grammar has been great in my tank,not a big show boat like my Aggie Clownfish but he comes out to play and chase around the other fish when it's time to grub.

The best advise I have is really look at the fish ,inspect them and do your research! Look at their habits , if he's hiding under a rock don't expect him to be active in your tank, I looked at 20 different Royal Gamma's when I chose mine.

Also the second best advise is keep your wife happy and involved. Don't drop $500 in a month ,she will trip! Take your time and do it right!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am new to this site and have a question about posting a new topic. Everytime I try to start a new topic, I get this message saying "You must enter a post." And there is no other option after that. I click the Start New Topic, I enter my question and paste a picture relating to that question but just keep getting this message everytime I click the submit button. I have no idea what it means or what its asking my to do.

Anyone else experience this and could guide me in posting a new topic?

Thanks in advance,

Curtis

santacreekfurrows

New to nano-reef, had a 15g for a couple years then moved, Omen (ocellaris) and the damsel we had are still good in their new 125g home, over 2 years later... Now, I'm setting up a slightly larger nano and am reading up before starting it off... thanks to all on here for all of your posts, ....lots of NOOB questions answered.

About books, I don't recall it being recommended, but I like the book, "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta

Thanks again,

Acropora793

tip:

When testing your water with those color charts, instead of looking through the test tube, look down and compare it to the chart. Makes it a lot easier to see.

have a stable income

How very VERY true! I am a new member but have been to this great forum for a while doing mostly readings on articles and other members' experience. Glad to be here!

• 3 months later...

Don't live in Moore, Oklahoma. Tornadoes will come and ruin the cycle on your new 28g jbj nanocube. True story.

Seems like your ok tho, thats good news!

Anyways..

I'm new to SW, but I've been doing FW for a couple years now so i can offer the advice (as have many others so far) of doing all your research before hand, and don't cut corners. Do it right the 1st time around.

Learn from your mistakes, and be patient

• 1 month later...

Just signed up for this forum today and after reading through all of the pages in this thread, I now know all of the things I did wrong and all of the things I did right over the weekend when I started cycling my tank. Thankfully, I read enough of the articles and posts on this thread prior to starting my tank that I don't think I caused any damage that isn't currently fixable (I'm getting my water tested first thing tomorrow)... Anyhow, thanks one and all for your input over the years. I'm looking forward to reading and becoming more and more invovled in such an immersive and fascinating hobby as this!

Beware of Zoa's

They are considered beginners corals, and are in fact easy to keep. Perhaps they shouldn't be, as they can be quite poisonous, and definitely require special handling. Google "zoa coral handling" or check out http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/zoanthid-poison-179307.html

This is a little exaggerated as there have been literally thousands of reefkeepers who have kept zoas without problems, so the risk is not extreme. People should be cautious (i.e. washing hands after putting them in the tank), but it seems what post people are doing is working okay.

• Like 1
ihatesears18

This is a little exaggerated as there have been literally thousands of reefkeepers who have kept zoas without problems, so the risk is not extreme. People should be cautious (i.e. washing hands after putting them in the tank), but it seems what post people are doing is working okay.

agreed. i've never had a single problem.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Tiny Reef,

I loved the helpful hint I read somewhere just the other day, to use a turkey baster to help agitate the sand, and help tidy up the debris. Very helpful I agree!!

watch your salinity every day. an ato is invaluable

watch your temperatures in the spring/summer.

don't eat yellow snow in the winter.

the most important reefing technique is patience.

the most important aspect in reefing is lighting.

the most useful device is a turkey baster.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Very impressed with this sticky. Im new to the hobby and looking forward to learning all I should know (atleast the basics) prior to taking the dive. Thanks everyone for the tons of knowledge