ReefCleaners.org

I want to get going on Saturday -- help!

alpha

I would be careful with the heat issues that might occur with two pumps. You might just want to upgrade the stock pump to a RIO 4HF which will give you 260 GPH. Nanotuners offers this pump and I have heard good things about it. I am considering this one myself.

I don't know what I was thinking! I ordered that pump from nanotuners tonight. You should tell them you want a kickback! Store credit or something! lol

Do you guys think it would be better to do one of those hydor flo rotating deflectors or to split up the flow?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what I was thinking! I ordered that pump from nanotuners tonight. You should tell them you want a kickback! Store credit or something! lol

Do you guys think it would be better to do one of those hydor flo rotating deflectors or to split up the flow?

how come my 14 gallon bc only took just short of 11 gallons?

1st reason: it's called 14gal, but that would be the volume of the entire tank, including all the rear chambers filled all the way to the top!!!.....since that's not happening, there is loss of gallonage

2nd reason: LS and LR these take up volume also, which reduces the amount of space avail for water. Which is why the bigger the better. I think with all the rock, sand etc... in my BC29 I might be somewhere around 22gal of water.

-R

1st reason: it's called 14gal, but that would be the volume of the entire tank, including all the rear chambers filled all the way to the top!!!.....since that's not happening, there is loss of gallonage

2nd reason: LS and LR these take up volume also, which reduces the amount of space avail for water. Which is why the bigger the better. I think with all the rock, sand etc... in my BC29 I might be somewhere around 22gal of water.

-R

That was w/out lr/ls.

so, about 3gal would finish filling up those chambers, no?

I doubt it, but I dunno.

I bought waaaay too much rock. Marshall Island is light!

Yea, it only holds 11-12 gallon jugs full- I lost count during filling- and that's with chambers 2 and 3 almost full- you might be able to squeeze in 13, but that would be the max. Don't forget, the measures for gallonages are usually calculated by the outside demensions.

Rock... You could break some up and use as rubble- or resell on here- could you post pics so I know what PA's Marshall Island looks like? I'd buy it in a heart beat, but I'm not ready yet... sigh...

Yea, it only holds 11-12 gallon jugs full- I lost count during filling- and that's with chambers 2 and 3 almost full- you might be able to squeeze in 13, but that would be the max. Don't forget, the measures for gallonages are usually calculated by the outside demensions.

Rock... You could break some up and use as rubble- or resell on here- could you post pics so I know what PA's Marshall Island looks like? I'd buy it in a heart beat, but I'm not ready yet... sigh...

I bought some rubble.....

I'm gonna see if they'll give me store credit for what I don't need.

As for pics, the only working digital camera that I have is my camcorder and it's stillshots are only one megapixel. I'll take some pics later and if they come out at all, I'll post 'em up.

PA won 't be getting any new rock in until Feb. They're moving. I'd wait until they've got more. After yesterday, I'd say it's slim pickings.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering what they meant after I emailed them about their rock and they said they wouldn't have any nano rock for a while.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering what they meant after I emailed them about their rock and they said they wouldn't have any nano rock for a while.

No prob.

Hey bro-- you've got floss and chaeto in chamber 2 right? Did you use anything to separate the two? the top tray that comes stock seems to inhibit flow, but I wonder about just leaving the floss right on top of the chaeto....

Exactly..... which is what drives me nuts when people ask about stocking their tanks.... Well its a BC29... that holds 29 gallons... Youre probably at 27 gallons filled up, then with LR and LS you might be at 23 if youre lucky... You shouldnt cram 6 fish into there. Theres a guy a few posts down with a foxface in his BC29. :rolleyes:

Sorry, just get worked up over the stocking issue, and not many people realize that their cubes dont hold as much as advertised...

If they can make it work in the pictures on the box....then, well, obviously I can to :lol:

Marshall rock is great!!! I have something like 33lbs of it in my BC29 or should I say BC20something. :rolleyes: It is great, looks good and lots of flow through for filtering!!! Rack it n' Stack it more spots to put little frag thangs!!

-R

Right now- nothing, but I am putting LR rubble and a piece of pura on top of that- I don't plan on using cheato. I agree that the drip tray stinks-that was the first thing I pulled out! :) It's in my bedroom, so I want my cube silent! The weight of the wet foam might squash the chaeto, so you could always take the drip tray and drill it out really well, to cut down on the air pocket effect, and place a thin piece of foam on top, with the cheato underneath. (I think it needs light though, right? (It's algae) Do you have a light on the back?) Although I'm not quite sure...

Right now- nothing, but I am putting LR rubble and a piece of pura on top of that- I don't plan on using cheato. I agree that the drip tray stinks-that was the first thing I pulled out! :) It's in my bedroom, so I want my cube silent! The weight of the wet foam might squash the chaeto, so you could always take the drip tray and drill it out really well, to cut down on the air pocket effect, and place a thin piece of foam on top, with the cheato underneath. (I think it needs light though, right? (It's algae) Do you have a light on the back?) Although I'm not quite sure...

Yeah I bought the same light chill105 used for his fuge. I was thinking the same thing about the drip tray -- dremel!!

Yes, probably the tool of choice in this hobby! :D

What are you doing in chamber 1? I put in the heater, and then found the pura pad goes backwards and water goes right past it. I didn't want to use the stock pads, so I did the mod where you cut the stock pad open, and put a piece of polyfilter in, but my heater was in the way... So I flipped it over, with the hollowed side facing the heater, and then slid the pura pad in front. Just felt like sharing my stroke of genious!

Yes, probably the tool of choice in this hobby! :D

What are you doing in chamber 1? I put in the heater, and then found the pura pad goes backwards and water goes right past it. I didn't want to use the stock pads, so I did the mod where you cut the stock pad open, and put a piece of polyfilter in, but my heater was in the way... So I flipped it over, with the hollowed side facing the heater, and then slid the pura pad in front. Just felt like sharing my stroke of genious!

In chamber 1 I have a finnex heater, lr rubble, and a bag of carbon and rowa phos.

Here are the crappy pics I promised you. All the colors are washed out. This is probably a combination of my crappy photography and the limitations of my my camcorder. I should probably start another thread since my tank is up now...

post-24625-1168874563_thumb.jpg

post-24625-1168874612_thumb.jpg

post-24625-1168874651_thumb.jpg

post-24625-1168874683_thumb.jpg

post-24625-1168874701_thumb.jpg

Two more. From the right side...

looks great. i would just rearrange that powerhead to clean it up a bit though :)

Thanks!

Yeah, I put the extra pump in there to see how it would affect the temp -- would it be different in one of the chambers? -- and just to add more flow while the tank is cycling. I guess I coulda taken it out for the pics, but I'm lazy. :)

post-24625-1168875001_thumb.jpg

post-24625-1168875017_thumb.jpg

Very nice- I like the big cave look! :D

How many lbs?

Oh, and I made a "cart" on PA's website, and my total came to over $200! It's because it's almost $100 shipping! I may order a little bit of rock from there, but most of it someplace else. (and because I want to get started soon :) )

How many lbs?

Good question! I've got about 5-8 lbs sitting in a bucket w/ a pump and I got 19 lbs. at PA so... 11-14 lbs.

Oh, and I made a "cart" on PA's website, and my total came to over $200! It's because it's almost $100 shipping! I may order a little bit of rock from there, but most of it someplace else. (and because I want to get started soon :) )

Yeah -- that's steep. You're in NJ though, right? There has to be some places around NJ/NY that have some good rock!

Yeah. Big cave lol. I hadn't originally planned on that, but w/ PA having no "nano rock". I know I could have broken up some of it, but I didn't want to. I think I'll put a sun coral in the cave. :) Also, I was thinking about a red gorgonian in front of the hydor flo...

Hey, PA is moving- maybe they'll move to NJ, lol, JK. Yea, tomorrow I will start looking around other sites to find some near me. The red gorgonian might work. Sun corals- I think you have to feed them very frequently. They are nice though :) How do you like the hydro flow? I have just the stock venturi and a powersweep, and my water is very turbulent- I have mini whirlpools, lol. I figure with one of them, the flow would be amazing :) Now to make some money to buy rock... :)

Hey, PA is moving- maybe they'll move to NJ, lol, JK. Yea, tomorrow I will start looking around other sites to find some near me. The red gorgonian might work. Sun corals- I think you have to feed them very frequently. They are nice though :) How do you like the hydro flow? I have just the stock venturi and a powersweep, and my water is very turbulent- I have mini whirlpools, lol. I figure with one of them, the flow would be amazing :) Now to make some money to buy rock... :)

The hydor flo is nice, but I'm having a problem getting the water level to stay right in the display AND chamber 3 at the same time and I think it's because of the Rio pump. )=

Will the "purple-up" stuff work while you're cycling?

Archived