Cultivated Reef

Biggest Reef Myths

akaMonkey

neanderthalman
I was trying to say that ''I'' dont need to do water changes because i have almost 1 gallon of evaporation a day

I think you might be confused Dallas.

FW topups don't replenish essential trace elements. Topping up with FW and a water change do two completely different things. The FW topup maintains the salinity by replacing the water lost through evaporation. That's it. The SW water change replaces the trace elements used by your animals for growth, as well as exporting nutrients and toxins.

Agreed - no need to knock your tank. All of our tanks looked bare and unsightly when they first started up, and those pics look like they were taken just as you started your tank. I will, however, agree with idog that three months is not enough time to declare your strategy of never changing water a success. You are right, though. Missing a weekly water change isn't going to kill anything. Missing two isn't going to cause problems either. However, we are not changing water to prevent problems, we are changing water to provide the best environment for the animals we have taken responsibility for.

Edit - Let's hear some more myths. I know there has to be some more good ones out there.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mybuickskill6979
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=Dallassask

You started your tank in September. I'd hardly call three months successully "proving" that no one has to do water changes and can use tap water for top-off.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n203/Da...assstuff056.jpg

And your tank isn't level... (Yes... I'm a bada$$ I found pics of your tank lmao)

Been three months so I'd hope it looks better than that ;)

Edit: Oh...here we go http://www.saskreef.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3291

holy $h!T has your tank slid off the cabinet yet? dude that would scare me hehe.

my FWQT was a little sideways and i was runnign around like a chicken with his head cut off!!!

the only point I was trying to make was that people go overboard on water changes and i think we can all agree on that

Nope.

Most people will actually disagree with you.

Thanks and try again.

(BTW, I hear reefcentral is looking for new members)

darkfishy2690

Oh! I want to play!

Theres the thing that people say that cLownfish absolutely need a anenome to survive which is false.

Does that count as a myth?

Oh! I want to play!

Theres the thing that people say that cLownfish absolutely need a anenome to survive which is false.

or the other way around.....

Oh! I want to play!

Sure does.

HecticDialectics

Myth: Only fish can live in a saltwater tank!

Has anyone ever tried to keep a squirrel alive in their reeftank? Would the large hamster ball work if I wrapped it in enough plastic wrap? I saw it on tv...

THANK YOU! I used RO water for a long time too and have had far less problems with tap water. Anytime I tell someone to use tap water they think I'm crazy. Don't let the poisonmongers scare you- even Bob Fenner says to use tap water! These people who want to waste money on expensive ro/di units crack me up.

Well, I guess Bob Fenner has all the answers now.... :lol:

I am ALWAYS telling people to use RO or RO/DI water. I dont feel as if it has been any waste of my money. I bet you had problems because a part or parts of the system were not functioning properly. The membrane could have been shot, the sediment filter may not have been changed and/or the DI resin could have been used up. When you tell us you have had far less problems, I can guarantee you your wrong. Unless, as I stated above, some part of the system needed changing. I once had higher TDS readings from an RO system than my tap water because the membrane needed to be changed.

I hope that if you ever keep sensitive inverts, you decide to switch back to RO water and get low TDS readings. Expect a short life for the critter(s) if you dont.

Tang

mybuickskill6979
Nope.

Most people will actually disagree with you.

Thanks and try again.

(BTW, I hear reefcentral is looking for new members)

:haha::lockdown::slap::huh:

lol nuhtty. i agree hehe!!

wow nuhtty, i got into this hobby so i could enjoy the fish and corals and enjoy caring for them, not so i could be a total nerd and put people down. And pretend to be a no it all to make myself look good, any people i've met that really know something realize what this hobby is all about, Im pretty sure you or anyone else wouldn't say this kind of thing to my face but since your on the internet you think your hot $hit. You got some growing up to do

HecticDialectics

haha I always love it when people act e-tough. "Where do you live!? If you said that to my face I'd kill you with my bare hands!!!"

I need some popcorn for this.

neanderthalman

I've got another one.

Distilled water is of higher purity than RO/DI water.

Not true. Otherwise, distilled water would be the preferred choice in a laboratory setting. RO/DI is the water of choice for procedures requiring high purity, such as semiconductor fabrication. Distilled water is almost never used in a laboratory.

Edit - Dallas...please don't egg Nuhtty on. He doesn't need encouragment or ammunition.

Awesome Neanderthal,

Let's keep this on track...I like this thread and don't want to see it pulled.

How about:

You need at least 1LB of LR per gallon...and make sure you fill up those back chambers with rubble!!!

I've got another one.

Distilled water is of higher purity than RO/DI water.

Man, I saw that one time on here and about flipped my lid. I dont pretend to know everything (h***, in fact I screwed up on an ID forum last night, I blame it on being tired :P ),but you learn things as you go in this hobby.

Tang

I think the reason it got questioned Dallasak is that if the only system you've got is the one you posted about here, the one running for just a couple months... you may be in for some bad nasties and things get used up and others build up in that tank because you're not doing water changes. ..and I don't know if your experience would dispel a myth just yet. ...but then I'm a "change as much of the water as you possibly can, so much so that your fish lay gasping for air at the bottom of the tank on a weekly basis" reefkeeper when it comes to water changes.

Anyway, this post might be a place to link this: Mything the point

wow nuhtty, i got into this hobby so i could enjoy the fish and corals and enjoy caring for them, not so i could be a total nerd and put people down. And pretend to be a no it all to make myself look good, any people i've met that really know something realize what this hobby is all about, Im pretty sure you or anyone else wouldn't say this kind of thing to my face but since your on the internet you think your hot $hit. You got some growing up to do

I love when people post stuff like this.....

You do you realize when you don't use proper grammer you sound like a child. Not only that, but an uneducated child. If you want to have people here to help you, don't call them nerd know-it-alls' (yes buy the way it KNOW not NO). For the next time you have a serious question they won't help.

Also notice that Nuhtty that been a member for over 2 years, and has quite a few post. This means he probably knows what he is talking about and you should listen. (Besides the sarcasm, which I might add has always made threads more interesting.)

If anyone has growing up to do it would be you.....

RED

Archived