Coral Vue Hydros

The Conservative 12

pulpsmack

[sCROLL DOWN FOR PICS]

After all this time I got access to a digital camera and drained 2 sets of batteries on footage from my 12 gallon nano and my 40 gallon mini reef. Now I am excited to finally be sharing them with you.

THE BREAKDOWN

Tank: Eclipse System 12 (modified)

Filtration:

- Skilter 250 (for circulation, not skimming)

- 20# Tonga branch live rock

- 10-15# live sand & Aruba shell

Lighting: CSL 32w Smartlite Retrofit Kit

Circulation: Micro-Jet 320 Powerhead

Climate Control: Hagen 100w Trionic Heater

Other: Lifegard Little Time or Temp Thermometer

LIVESTOCK

Yellow-Bellied Blue Damsel, (pomacentrus caeruleus)

Mythrax Emerald Crab, (mythraculs sculptus)

Scarlet Hermit Crab, (paguristes cadenati)

5 Red-Tipped Dwarf Hermit Crabs (clibanarius sp.)

8 Margarita Snails (margarites pupillus)

CORALS

Yellow Gorgonian, Carnation Tree Coral (?), Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Mushroom Coral (red, blue, & purple varieties).

And now... the nano.

Pulpsmack1.jpg

(Edited by pulpsmack at 12:36 pm on April 19, 2002)

Now that the camera is gone the shrooms are like flying saucers in the tank. <Sigh> I guess this will have to do...

Pulpsmack7.jpg

(Edited by pulpsmack at 12:38 pm on April 19, 2002)

I hope you all enjoyed the view. here are some other points of interest...

Maintenance:

-weekly 1 gallon water change with Kent Salt

-I feed the tank (both animals & coral) twice weekly

-I clean the filter pad ever 1-2 weeks in the Skilter

-I test weekly before the water change.

-I dose 1 drop of various Kent trace elements as dictated by tests (usually every other week)

Other Info

Base Temp.: 78-80 degrees

Salinity: 1.0245

Circulation 280 G.P.H.

Heater Index: @ 10 watts/gallon

Light Index: 3 - 3.5 watts/gallon

FUTURE PLANS

Add Coolworks Ice Probe & temp regulator to Skilter

Currently embarking on a coraline "graft" procedure

I will be sure to keep you all posted

quiksilver5768

I really like your rockwork. Once corals grow all on it, it will look like an actualy reef cut from the ocean unlike our normal aquascpaing with caves and tunnels and such (no offense to anybody's nano :)) Did you get 2 big slabs? Or are they different slabs just glues together? How long has it been set up? Looks like its kinda new. Cant wait to see it when everything fills up! :)

Thanks Lowenbrau & quicksilver. Yes you are looking at 2 solid (albeit very porous) rocks. I never saw this kind of design so that was the way I went. The growth is a bit slow but every coral (excepting the gorgonian) was a frag from my 40. The advantage is that this poor student has stocked his nano virtually for free!!! The bad news is that it will take a bit longer than the others to "fill out".

Pulp,

Looks great! I really like the large rocks I prefer a sparse tank to superstocked. More time to grow stuff to your viewing enjoyment:)

SY,

Toy

quiksilver5768

Hey pulpsmack...I was also wondering how well those algae magnets work. I went away for a week and since i couldnt clean my glass..when i came back i could get off the little algae but there is some encrusting green algae spots on my tank glass. Would these magnets work to get them off? I hear they are very strong....

Thanks guys. I thought it would be more rewarding to see stuff grow from my cuttings rather than simply "buy" a ready-stocked nano. There is nothing wrong with this approach though, especially for those who have no access to other tanks with frags.

I have all 3 sizes of MAG-FLOAT algae magnets and I reccommend the middle size for all applications except for the thickest of glass (in which case you'd want the large size). They are rather handy and will get out stubborn growth, though you may need to swipe back & forth  a few more times than normal. I do not reccommend them at all for acrylic tanks however. Even if the abrasive pad is acrylic-safe, there will undoubtedly be a situation where a piece of debris or crushed coral will get pinched between the magnets and put a mean scratch in the tank. Mine is in my Eclipse for a little project that I am working on. I will let you know the details soon.

Nice tank!! Looks like you have one of those digital therm. I'm planning on getting one of those instead of my sticker therm. How do you like yours, any like or dislikes that you might have about them?

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Delph, I'm sorry to hear about the photography mishaps. I truly salute anybody with the guts and the patience to shoot non digitally. I borrowed the camera, otherwise I wouldn't dare to fool with film (other than video). I hope you have better luck on your next batch & thanks for the ID.

My Alife, Lifegard makes 2 thermometer products, a big digital and a little digital. I really can't speak higher praise about a tank gadget. I have both & they each have unique features. the big one shows temp in & out of the tank simultaneously (Farenheit only) and you can set an alert if the tank gets too hot, as well if it gets too cold. The little one will tell temp in or out (not simultaneously) or the time. It doesn't have an alert but it does have the option to tell temp in degrees F or C. By the way guys, I am working on a real website with great features including product reviews of everything I bought or used so stay tuned!!!! Meanwhile I have a humble little page up and running dedicated to my nano only. Check it out.

quiksilver5768

Hey pulpsmack,

Thanks for the info on the magnet. I dont think i would need the largest size since the glass on 10 gals are pretty thin. Im tring to get some encrusting algae off of the front glass so would you recommend the small or medium size? Also, how much did you pay for yours? Thanks

You are certainly welcome for the info. Again, I think that the medium size is a good balance for most applications. The small can fit in to some slightly tighter corners (but it is not really any thinner) but it is somewhat weak in magnetism. That is to say that if you are slow and deliberate you will have no problems. If you have slightly thicker glass or make a quick swipe movements the magnet might detach. It's no big deal since it floats, but it gets tiresome when the magnet constantly detaches. Also if you accidentally wedge the magnet between glass and the rock you will be glad you had the stronger pull of the Medium to free the magnet. The large is too powerful for that size. not only is it too big, but the strong pull will make the swipes feel like there is molasses on the outside of your tank.

They do work well and again will take care of some nasty persistent algae, but at the same time I reccomend that you have a well-built hand scrapper for your most stubborn stains. The best one (and most expensive) by far is the Kent Pro-Scraper system. The shaft is good thick fiberglass and the handles are nice and long. Blades and other attachments can be swapped out too.

I was amazed over some of the costs of Mag Floats in my town. No B.S., one jerk wanted $19 for the medium size and $35 for the large!!! Petwarehouse.com has them for the following: S= $5.99, M= $9.99 L= $19.99. They also sell the Kent scraper for 20 something, which is market price (and well worth it).

(Edited by pulpsmack at 5:53 pm on April 18, 2002)

Archived