Cultivated Reef

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters

Thanks, moto.

The fixture was originally a halogen shop light manufactured by Regent. Halogen fixtures do not incorporate a ballast so I added some to power the MH lamps.

Just read your whole thread, and to echo everybody else,

AWESOME!!!!

I love to see when patience meets skill and beauty is the result.

keep it up!!!

• 1 month later...
Alright Alright.

I finally got around to doing a water test and ran into a few problems. The mag used on the closed loop that I took on trade was leaking from around the seal. I ordered a new impeller cap and the leak stopped but the impeller was ticking like mad. I then ordered a new impeller and it now works fine. While waiting for the parts I decided to make a screen for the open top. It should contain any jumpers and not restrict the lighting.

Water testing

This ones for Dawn.

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

A ton of totally random current. No dead spots.

IMG_1759.jpg

Veiw of sump and fuge

IMG_1773.jpg

Some pics of the screen top.

I ordered the netting online but it didn't list a name brand. After the problems I had with the Mag I was surprised to open the package and see who made the net. Kind of ironic.

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

I am sort of taking it slow. I don't want to place this tank until everything is ready to go. I am in the process of building a retractable pulley system to hang the light. I will try to update often.

-Stone

Exactly what I have been looking for!!! Never thought of using window screen frame - PERFECT!

stoney waters

I have had some enquiries about the control box so I thought I would post it here as well.

Anyway, Congratulations! I was wondering if you could talk a little about your electrical box. It looks nice and clean and well thought out. Could you explain it a bit more?

The box itself is a fiberglass electrical enclosure bought on ebay. There are four sets of outlets that are individually controlled by the lighted rockers below. This allows me to turn off power to selected equipment only. There is also a spring wound timer that is connected to the fourth set of outlets. I use this to shut off the main pumps for feeding for up to an hour then restart automatically. The fifth set of outlets is controlled by one of the intermatic electronic timers. I have my refugium light and pump plugged into this set. The other three timers control power to each of the halides and the pair of t-5 actinics. My timing schedule represents a dawn to dusk effect.

IMG_1957.jpg

The lower right corner is where the controls for the ATO are located.

IMG_1935-1.jpg

IMG_1934-1.jpg

Inside contains all the ballast for the lighting, the relays for the ATO and some transformers for the cooling fans.

IMG_1942.jpg

The control box is connected to the pendant by a 14 wire multi-conductor with disconnect.

b989dc92.jpg

Everything has preformed flawlessly and I am pleased with the way it turned out. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have put the timers on top and the outlets underneath.

Hope this explanation helps and thanks to everyone again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Stoney!

You might not remember me. We use to chat it up quite a bit a couple years ago. As a matter of fact, I am post #2 in this thread (and several more after that).

I had to empty my tank and put reef keeping on the back burner while I have been away for grad school. I'll be finished with school in about 6 months. I'm totally pumped about getting back into the hobby!!! I'm planning a much bigger tank than my little all-in-one I had 2 years ago. I'm going to need to bend your ear a little to get some advice. I sent you an e-mail.

BTW, I loved your tank 2 years ago and I love it even more today!

-stallen

• 4 months later...

This tank is amazing :)

im pretty sure ive posted in here.

you are crazy with the DIYs but i love them all haha.

Your tank was the first tank i saw on this website

and it inspired me to get into the hobby. ( ive done FOWLR but never coral )

anyways.. i just wanted to say thanks for everything.

keep up the sweet tanks :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Needreefunds
I gotz excited for a sec...thought there might be an update :(

Stoney where r u?!! :flower:

^this^ :(

Hope all is well Stoney!

jeremy0411

This is by far the best DIY tank on NR........ AMAZING!!

Wanna build me one? lol

Can you post the build for the calcium reactor?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As said plenty of times before and im saying it again :D ..This tank build is ahhmaazing...

But wheres Stoney???Maybe its break time.

Hopefully all is well....

• 2 years later...
Heads up old friends new build new thread comming soon. I'll need all your help on this one. :)

-Stoney

Damn... Can't WAIT to see this build!!! Hurry up, Dammit!!! -_-

Heads up old friends new build new thread comming soon. I'll need all your help on this one. :)

-Stoney

REALLY????

That is fantastically excellent news!!!!

This whole tank was an incredible inspiration for me. In fact, I was just thinking about all that you managed to do with it a couple of days ago.

Seriously can't wait to see what you're up to next.

Archived