Cultivated Reef

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

Very nice additions! I believe your unidentified coral is a type of encrusting hydnophora. They like lots of turbulent flow and light. Good luck and keep the pics coming!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Everything looks great Stoney!

Oh, and, sorry this is late...I meant to look this thread up sooner to tell you: Happy (belated) Birthday!!!!!

stoney waters

Thanks everyone.

Hydnophora... Ouch! I will have to keep an eye on it. I haven't seen any sweepers yet but it sits pretty much alone on the back wall.

You won't see sweepers on them. They send out fine white filaments and digest the neighboring coral. 2" should be enough distance.

stoney waters

That is very close Duncan, minus the plating. It is defiantly some sort of Hydnophora. I thought the color was nice, kind of a pearl white with teal blue undertones that wont show up on camera.

In an attempt to keep my calcium levels above 400 I decided to build and give a kalk reactor a try.

There are many DIY's out there. Here is my version. It will operate in-line with my ATO.

IMG_0879.jpg

The return is fitted with an enductor for enhanced mixing.

100_0825.jpg

A union fitting was used for access. It creates a better seal and is much easier to open then some builds that use clean out caps.

IMG_0882.jpg

Here is a pic of the reactor running with kalk ( I decided to use pickling lime) you can see the mixing level through the clear PVC.

IMG_0887.jpg

I plan on getting it hooked up and running this weekend. I will keep an eye on my params and update on its performance. If anyone has used one before and has any advise or tips it would be greatly appreciated.

The stuff you come up with is fascinating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

holy crap stoney your tank is awesome! i'm picking up a 50 breeder in a few days and i think you have solved my $$$ dilema for lighting. how did you hook up the single cord to 2 separate ballasts? are their two sets of wires running through the one cord? and it looks like you replaced the sockets with 150w hqi sockets, correct?

stoney waters

Yes, I replaced the stock halogen sockets with 150w MH sockets. All the wiring for the pendant is supplied by a 14 wire multi conductor with a quick disconnect. This supplies power for all MHs, T-5s, LEDs and fans.

b989dc92.jpg

I have not seen a 50 breeder. What are the dimensions?

Yes, I replaced the stock halogen sockets with 150w MH sockets. All the wiring for the pendant is supplied by a 14 wire multi conductor with a quick disconnect. This supplies power for all MHs, T-5s, LEDs and fans.

b989dc92.jpg

ah ok. thanks for the info.

and as ty said, a 50B is 36x18x18.

i think i may end up cutting down the 48" 8x54w HL t5 fixture i got to 36" and using that over the tank though. if i chicken out of doing that, your idea is definitely next on the list.

b989dc92.jpg

What guage wire did you use?

Archived